SPOTY 2016

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Can't see Wales winning it. That would be celebrating a failure.

Surely the minimum requirement should be that you've actually won something?
  • Garry H wrote:

Tell Greg Rusedski.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Carl Frampton not happy at his omission
    Wee man's gonna knack their pan in.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Garry H wrote:

Tell Greg Rusedski.

Yeah, but now British peeps actually win things, so...
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Andy Murray has to be the favourite, and I'd like to see Ali Brownlee up there in the top 3.

Women's hockey for team of the year perhaps? They'd get my vote, their win in the final is one of my sporting moments of the year.
  • Bale won the Champions League and then dragged Wales to their best result ever. That's not bad.

It's not winning Wimbledon, winning the Olympics and being world number 1, but it's not bad.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    ddraver wrote:
    Froome's had, like, 3 attempts and has never got off the bottom rung. Time for a change.

I don't think he cares too much to be honest...

Yeah. He's the Nigel Farage of SPOTY polls.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Murray should win at a canter. I'd put Bale no.2.

Team of the year has to be GB Cycling after its Olympic dominance.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    The one Olympian particularly unlucky to miss out was Jade Jones in Taekwondo.

Youngest Britain to ever defend an Olympic title at 23 and totally dominated the event. One defeat in 18 months in a combat sport where you fight four times in a day and that was due to equipment malfunction. 20% more world ranking points than any male of female in any weight category.
  • Judging by the way plebiscites have been going this year, I'm lumping £20 on Joey Barton.

(desperation at the state of the world aside, I suspect Murray will win it. It's not just about being the right sort of person to get onto the shortlist, but being the sort of person that people who like to vote for SPotY like to vote for, and he's got the pedigree there)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Timoid. wrote:

Not really a team though is it - just a group of athletes under a single governing body.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Timoid. wrote:

Not really a team though is it - just a group of athletes under a single governing body.
    Agree with that, it should be a team playing a team sport that wins it. Also, could never understand Sir Dave winning coach of the year back in 2012. I think as well that if you have 16 nominations you should have 8 men and 8 women.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    poppit wrote:
    I think as well that if you have 16 nominations you should have 8 men and 8 women.
    Why? If you want to do that it's better off having just men's and women's awards.

Let's say for example at the Tokyo Olympics, 15 GB women win gold medals, but only three men. Should it be eight each in those circumstances?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I do have to say that this vote gets a stronger and stronger cast every year. If you won a gold/world title you really were in the minority and almost a show in.
    Look at the strength in depth of that list. It's great!!
    Andy Murray for me.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Laura for me. Simply unbeatable.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    mrfpb wrote:
    Does Team GB Cycing all get lumped together. The track cycling team came away from the Olympics with medals for every cyclist, the road/MTB didn't fare so well. Did anyone see the support team taking a bow for the fans on the last night of the Track events at Rio? They would be worthy of a gong of some sort.

what like Shane Sutton coach of the year ha :lol: didnt they cop out in 2012 and award it to just "TeamGB" so it includes all the Olympic/Paralympic medal winners, rather than pick one sport.

its Murray for me, but I might vote for Jason Kenny, just because the poor guy wins 3 gold medals is sprint world champion, and joint leading GB gold medal winner, and he doesnt even get mentioned as a top 3 placing let alone possible winner
  • RichN95.
    Here's an alternative list of twelve nominees:

Chris Froome (cycling) - Third Tour de France win. Is the UK getting blase about this as the public did with moon landings?

Rachel Atherton (cycling) - won all seven rounds of the downhill world cup

Carl Frampton (boxing) - united one weight level, then stepped up to beat an unbeaten American on his own patch

Maro Itoje (Rugby Union) - won Grand Slam, European Championship and English Premiership. Didn't lose a game in 2016

Jonny Bairstow (cricket) - top test runs scorer in 2016. Most test runs by a wicketkeeper in a year ever

Alastair Cook (cricket) - became the leading test runs scorer for England of all time

Maddie Hinch (hockey) - there's no way that GB win gold without her having a world class performance

Helen Glover/Helen Stanning (rowing) - Torvill and Dean won as a duo so why not a duo unbeaten for five years

Jade Jones (taekwondo) - repeat Olympic champion. Unbeaten for 18 months (and they fight a lot)

Giles Scott (sailing) - has dominated Finn sailing since Ben Ainslie, who may have held him back, retired

Any two of Ed Clancy (cycling), Pete Reed & Andy Triggs Hodge (both rowing) - they've all won gold at three consecutive Olympics (as has Wiggins but he won this)

Honorable mentions to Michael Bisping (UFC - which I just don't get), and Anthony Joshua (boxing - not beaten anyone decent yet)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    wow what a year for UK sport, good list and yes there are loads more that could or should have been nominated, as I said "great" year for UK sport.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Where and how can you put a bet on the top three, in order?
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Great list Rich, who needs the official contenders with the 12 lads and lasses you offer.

From you list I would go with:

1. Helen Glover/Helen Stanning (rowing)
    2. Alastair Cook (cricket)
    3. Maro Itoje (Rugby Union)

H&H defo deserve the win, the other 2 are more recognition.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    RichN95 wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    I think as well that if you have 16 nominations you should have 8 men and 8 women.
    Why? If you want to do that it's better off having just men's and women's awards.

Let's say for example at the Tokyo Olympics, 15 GB women win gold medals, but only three men. Should it be eight each in those circumstances?
    Equality?
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • RichN95.
    poppit wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    poppit wrote:

Equality?
    Quotas aren't equality
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Rich reveals he doesn't work in the world of big corporate HR ;).
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Rich reveals he doesn't work in the world of big corporate HR ;).

This fella does...or used to :lol:https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/aug/03/saatchi-saatchi-boss-kevin-roberts-resigns-amid-sexism-row

I don't think having 8 and 8 is the answer. Perhaps ensuring a gender balance of the selection panel would help and I think that the selection panel looks fairly balanced this year.
  • No problems with the selection this year from a gender POV

Shame Atherton keeps being overlooked, but that's a different issue
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Perhaps Froome will win Overseas Sports Personality of the Year.

*runs for cover*
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    :lol:
    mr_poll wrote:

*runs for cover*
  • mr_poll wrote:

*runs for cover*

He came here for his tests, if he showed up for the SPOTY show as well it might affect his tax position.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Pretty poor representation for paralympians considering some incredible performances at Rio. Those that should have been nominated.
    Richard Whitehead
    Johnny Peacock
    Hannah Cockroft

Too many to name but all worthy of being on that list. Just seems that despite the Beebs all inclusiveness. ...they quite clearly are not and are keeping their fingers crossed for a poster boy win.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Pretty poor representation for paralympians considering some incredible performances at Rio. Those that should have been nominated.
    Richard Whitehead
    Johnny Peacock
    Hannah Cockroft

Too many to name but all worthy of being on that list. Just seems that despite the Beebs all inclusiveness. ...they quite clearly are not.

Johnny Peacock certainly scored on the "personality" element on The Last Leg.