Giro d'Italia route 2017 launch 25th Oct

123457»

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Why are there only 7 riders on FDJ's start list? Is Pinot just there as training for the Tour?

Edit: Nevermind. Quick Step only has 4 and Katusha only 2. Guess the start list isn't final yet.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Why are there only 7 riders on FDJ's start list? Is Pinot just there as training for the Tour?

Edit: Nevermind. Quick Step only has 4 and Katusha only 2. Guess the start list isn't final yet.
    There's no chance that any team (Astana aside) will turn up for a Grand Tour with less than nine.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

There's no chance that any team (Astana aside) will turn up for a Grand Tour with less than nine.

You say no chance, but we've not has a last minute withdrawal at the Tour due to a doping scandal for a few years. And the Giro has been gunning after their top GC dog status for a few years...

disclaimer: the above isn't intended to be taken seriously.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

You say no chance, but we've not has a last minute withdrawal at the Tour due to a doping scandal for a few years. And the Giro has been gunning after their top GC dog status for a few years...

I remember one year at the Tour, Matt White crashed warming up for the prologue so Cofidis had to draft in the rider who lived the closest to the start.
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

I remember one year at the Tour, Matt White crashed warming up for the prologue so Cofidis had to draft in the rider who lived the closest to the start.

Certainly a better story than Contador sunbathing on the beach while the riders were setting off for the 2008 Giro and him having to catch them up, or whatevs.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    DaveP1 wrote:
    A friend and I are going to stage 9, finishing at the Blockhaus. Does anyone how far ahead of the peloton the road closes?

I'd imagine fairly early, especially given how short the stage is.

That's what I was thinking, looks like an early start for us!
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cannond ... ed-leader/

Well, this should certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons /sarcasm
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cannondale-drapac-heads-to-giro-ditalia-without-a-designated-leader/

Cannondale-Drapac for the 2017 Giro d'Italia: Davide Formolo, Joe Dombrowski, Pierre Rolland, Daivde Villella, Mike Woods, Tom-Jelte Slagter, Kristijan Koren, Alex Howes, and Hugh Carthy.

Though give that team, it isn't entirely crazy talk right? See who actually steps up...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    The mid race TT goes through my favourite town in Italy, Bastardo.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Certainly a better story than Contador sunbathing on the beach while the riders were setting off for the 2008 Giro and him having to catch them up, or whatevs.
    and all that with a broken leg :D
  • The_Boy
    dish_dash wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cannondale-drapac-heads-to-giro-ditalia-without-a-designated-leader/

Cannondale-Drapac for the 2017 Giro d'Italia: Davide Formolo, Joe Dombrowski, Pierre Rolland, Daivde Villella, Mike Woods, Tom-Jelte Slagter, Kristijan Koren, Alex Howes, and Hugh Carthy.

Though give that team, it isn't entirely crazy talk right? See who actually steps up...

Nobody you;d want to build a team round to chase GC given the field, but a heap of riders who should either be able to handle themselves in a mountain breakaway or see how well they can hang on. Seems a sensible enough strategy to me.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    The best thing about Cannondale-Drapac now are Phil Gaimon's worst-retirement-ever activities.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    A little bit of nostalgia for those of a certain vintage, or a great story if you haven't heard it before.

Roche vs. Visentini

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/not ... o-ditalia/
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

#calledit

(Zero is less than 9)
  • The_Boy
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Panini sticker album

C-WvNBnXUAcESmQ.jpg
    Jesus Christ- I need to get to a supermarket.
    The sticker book is free with today's Gazzetta (plus a pack of stickers)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Sadly I am no longer in Italy. There must be somewhere in Manchester to buy the Gazzetta though!