Giro d'Italia route 2017 launch 25th Oct

RoadPainter
RoadPainter Posts: 375
edited May 2017 in Pro race
Giro route is announced a week today.

I'm hopeful it'll be as excellent (from perspective of weekend trips to watch it) as the Tour route has been underwhelming.

Comments

• I'll certainly take a long weekend in Sardinia over one in Dusseldorf, with no argument
  • I'll certainly take a long weekend in Sardinia over one in Dusseldorf, with no argument
    depends what your motives are ha ha
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,559
    I'll certainly take a long weekend in Sardinia over one in Dusseldorf, with no argument

Suckling pig over bratwurst... without a doubt!
  • Hehe, both of the above posts are fair and true

I do prefer the Giro anyway - prefer the atmosphere, the Italian approach to the whole thing, THE WINE AND THE FOOD AND THE COFFEE

and I will pop over to France for a Tour stage or two

But Sardinia over Dusseldorf...I mean, come on...no contest!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,559
    Who doesn't prefer the Giro!?! Best GT of the season...

So, you've got your Sardinia hotel booked then?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,686
    Hehe, both of the above posts are fair and true

I do prefer the Giro anyway - prefer the atmosphere, the Italian approach to the whole thing, THE WINE AND THE FOOD AND THE COFFEE

Dusseldorf too much like work?
  • Hehe, both of the above posts are fair and true

Dusseldorf too much like work?

There is that.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Who doesn't prefer the Giro!?! Best GT of the season...

So, you've got your Sardinia hotel booked then?

Doing it today!
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Did I read it's the 100th edition? Are we expecting a showcase of all things great of the Giro - a greatest hits of climbs?

Stelvio, MTT up the Mortirolo, Zoncalan etc etc
  • rick_chasey
    Main problem with the Giro is it has coincided with busyness in my life since I was 16. Exams, now hiring season.

Come July everyone's on holiday anyway 8)
  • mr_poll wrote:
    Did I read it's the 100th edition? Are we expecting a showcase of all things great of the Giro - a greatest hits of climbs?

They even have a new logo for the 100th edition, hang the expense! Yeah, lots of expectation of a "best of" compilation route.

Has anyone found reasonably priced flights to Sardinia? They have been loopy when I've looked. Or is there a BR charter flight??!!

And Dusseldorf will get a bit more popular if you upgrade bratwurst to currywurst.
  • mr_poll wrote:

They even have a new logo for the 100th edition, hang the expense! Yeah, lots of expectation of a "best of" compilation route.

Has anyone found reasonably priced flights to Sardinia? They have been loopy when I've looked. Or is there a BR charter flight??!!

And Dusseldorf will get a bit more popular if you upgrade bratwurst to currywurst.

Easyjet flights are very cheap at the moment, as long as you go a couple of days before the 6th - Wed or Thu. Fly into Olbia.
  • mr_poll wrote:

Easyjet flights are very cheap at the moment, as long as you go a couple of days before the 6th - Wed or Thu. Fly into Olbia.

Ta, will have another look, it was 350 return with anyone when I looked before. I'll pay a bit over the odds, but not that much!!
  • mr_poll wrote:

Ta, will have another look, it was 350 return with anyone when I looked before. I'll pay a bit over the odds, but not that much!!

Flying out on the Thu and returning Tue (don't forget Mon's a Bank Holiday!) - costing me less than £90
  • mr_poll wrote:

Flying out on the Thu and returning Tue (don't forget Mon's a Bank Holiday!) - costing me less than £90
    The May Day BH is the week before, on the 1st.

Giro start and BH hasn't aligned for a few years, but should do again in 2018.

Irrespective, that's a very good price.
  • mr_poll wrote:

The May Day BH is the week before, on the 1st.

Giro start and BH hasn't aligned for a few years, but should do again in 2018.

Irrespective, that's a very good price.

My bad!
  • No probs, just wanted to flag in case you accidentally caused yourself time off work issues - I know people who have left themselves in Bank Holiday shaped holes previously.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Dolomites for the finale! Would love to go for that
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    The Mortirolo and then twice up the Stelvio! Oof.
  • I thought there were only 3 sides of the Stelvio. Up from Bormio, turn off left before the top to go into Switzerland, over the top. Where is the other side? It must have been buried under snow when I've been!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    So far we have Aru, Nibali, Kruijswijk, Majka and an OBE. Poels too perhaps?
  • salsiccia1
    Joelsim wrote:

We want Froome. I think he might be able to double up as the Tour is a bit lightweight.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

We want Froome. I think he might be able to double up as the Tour is a bit lightweight.

Speak for yourself. I'm perfectly happy with him not contaminating my enjoyment of the Giro
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Speak for yourself. I'm perfectly happy with him not contaminating my enjoyment of the Giro

Where does this hatred for Froome come from?
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Where does this hatred for Froome come from?

Loathsome piece. What you see on the surface is not what is underneath, I'll leave it at that.
  • rick_chasey

Loathsome piece. What you see on the surface...
    i.e. a terrible cyclist who can't steer straight
    ...is not what is underneath, I'll leave it at that.
    an enormously fast cyclist.

What you hinting at RR?

Personality or actions?
  • salsiccia1
    It's the rabbits and the snake, innit
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    I thought there were only 3 sides of the Stelvio. Up from Bormio, turn off left before the top to go into Switzerland, over the top. Where is the other side? It must have been buried under snow when I've been!

You can come up from Prato, for the classic northern side route with the 47 hairpins, from Bormio, and also from Santa Maria Val Mustair in Switzerland, i.e. the Umbrail pass if you turn right at the top and descend to Bormio. If you turn left you've got the same final 5 kms or so to the summit as the Bormio approach.

By the sounds of it, this stage will come up the easier side of the Mortirolo, then down into the Valtellina, up to Bormio, up to the Umbrail pass junction, turn left, descend down the Umbrail, turn right at the bottom, down the valley to Prato then up the classic northern side.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    That sounds like a day where absolutely nothing will happen
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago