Giro d'Italia route 2017 launch 25th Oct

Comments

• Ooof this thread looks a bit tasteless now doesn't it...

To be clear, I wish we still were in a position to mock Scarponi.. :(.

:( :oops:
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    The pic with the macaw sitting atop the road sign is genuinely heartbreaking.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Have team line ups been announced. I was looking for Sky specifically. I have read Thomas sharing leadership.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Panini sticker album

C-WvNBnXUAcESmQ.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    meursault wrote:
    Have team line ups been announced. I was looking for Sky specifically. I have read Thomas sharing leadership.

Just three teams have confirmed their line up so far, Bardiani, Bora-Hansgrohe and Lotto-Soudal. More will do so over the next few days so keep an eye out here;

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Gir ... _Startlist
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Currently staying in a total shithole near Milan for work.

The only thing of any note is that the 1913 Giro winner came from here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Oriani

Died in WW1 I assume.
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95 wrote:
    Panini sticker album

C-WvNBnXUAcESmQ.jpg
    Jesus Christ- I need to get to a supermarket.
  • meursault
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Panini sticker album

C-WvNBnXUAcESmQ.jpg

Too fecking right...

Second thoughts, quick google doesn't return many options. Prolly only get in Italy.

Voltaire
  • bobmcstuff
    meursault wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Panini sticker album

Too ******* right...

Second thoughts, quick google doesn't return many options. Prolly only get in Italy.

I am in Italy!
  • meursault
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Panini sticker album

Too ******* right...

I am in Italy!

Ora diventa chiaro

Voltaire
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    RichN95 wrote:
    Panini sticker album

C-WvNBnXUAcESmQ.jpg

I contacted Panini UK about this to see if they'd consider bringing some in. I was told it wasn't yet available and to contact them again in June. Eh, ok.
  • RichN95.
    A sample page and sticker from the Panini album (La Repubblica picked Sky, not me)

120540709-2533555d-007c-4346-ba40-99dc97b5c42b.jpg

120539088-0f675cd7-65b1-4c22-b8d1-66788547db84.jpg
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Sky should walk it with 14 riders
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    meursault wrote:

Landa, Thomas, Deignan, Elissonde, Golas, Seb Henao, Kiryienka, Puccio, Rosa
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Sky should walk it with 14 riders

:D
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:
    meursault wrote:

I hope Viviani's salary is big enough to compensate him missing the 100th edition of the Giro.
  • andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    meursault wrote:

I hope Viviani's salary is big enough to compensate him missing the 100th edition of the Giro.

Gotta feel for him
  • meursault
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Gotta feel for him

Looks like a climbing team, no sprinter. Not sure about Golas?

Voltaire
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Viviani should be taking it up with the Giro route planners not Sky.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • andyp
    meursault wrote:

Road captain.
  • meursault
    andyp wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Road captain.

Is he any good?, his CV a bit bland. Is it all about the tour for Sky still?

Voltaire
  • andyp
    meursault wrote:

He's extremely well respected as a domestique and, as I understand it, a very capable tactician on the road, which makes him ideal as a road captain. I don't think you last as long in the pro peloton as he has without being valuable. I think an experienced rider like him is essential to Sky, especially in a race like the Giro where you need to know what's likely to happen on almost every stage.
  • meursault
    andyp wrote:
    meursault wrote:

He's extremely well respected as a domestique and, as I understand it, a very capable tactician on the road, which makes him ideal as a road captain. I don't think you last as long in the pro peloton as he has without being valuable. I think an experienced rider like him is essential to Sky, especially in a race like the Giro where you need to know what's likely to happen on almost every stage.

Nice analysis, much appreciated thank you.

Voltaire
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    A friend and I are going to stage 9, finishing at the Blockhaus. Does anyone how far ahead of the peloton the road closes?
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Astana honours Michele Scarponi by leaving his Giro d'Italia place empty and leader's race number unused: road.cc/221790 #cycling
  • andyp
    Movistar announce their team for the Giro, but surprisingly no place for Alex Dowsett or Dayer Quintana.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    DaveP1 wrote:
    A friend and I are going to stage 9, finishing at the Blockhaus. Does anyone how far ahead of the peloton the road closes?

I'd imagine fairly early, especially given how short the stage is.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    I don't mind the descent competition.

But then I'm not riding it.
  • RichN95.
    I don't mind the descent competition.

But then I'm not riding it.
    It will either be won by someone how gets in breaks in mountain stages frequently or a Cavendish type who has to bomb it down descents to stick with the grupetto.

I don't think it will actually be conspicuously raced for.

Those complaining it encourages risk taking should direct their disapproval towards the tight time limits on some of these stages