Giro d'Italia route 2017 launch 25th Oct

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Also, he would easily be at least 5 kg lighter as a GT contender compared to a (cobbled) classics contender. That is a (minimum) weight cut Rohan Dennis will need to perform as well.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Also, he would easily be at least 5 kg lighter as a GT contender compared to a (cobbled) classics contender. That is a (minimum) weight cut Rohan Dennis will need to perform as well.

Part of me is not convinced by this argument, but I gets your point (and have made the argument myself).
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Well, watts per kg is a main focus on every mountain stage. That is even for normal people and not just the doping obsessed (of the other threads); and it's easier to drop kg's than gain watts. :wink:

The loss of power seems rather marginal when dropping weight as demonstrated by numerous GT winners.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:
    Has Thomas said he's not riding the Classics too?

It's a brave man who aims to be competitive in March > Mid April and then again for the whole of May.

True, but he could do Flanders and Roubaix without any pressure to perform. Sky have Moscon, Stannard and Rowe. And still time to get a camp in before the Giro. It's not hugely different from a Romandie to Tour timeline, although I do appreciate that he wouldn't want to be peaking too early.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Waste of classics talent.

Is it? He's a decent classics rider, but lacks the killer instinct to win big in my opinion. Sky should be backing Kwiatkowski, Rowe and Stannard.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    andyp wrote:

Is it? He's a decent classics rider, but lacks the killer instinct to win big in my opinion. Sky should be backing Kwiatkowski, Rowe and Stannard.

Apart from winning E3 solo?
  • Yeah. I'm with the Geraint, stick to the Classics camp

He's a winner on the cobbles and a genuine Flanders contender

GTs. Not so much.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    andyp wrote:

And backing it up 3 days later with 3rd at G-W, despite being blown into a ditch.

He's also come top 10 in both Flanders & Roubaix.

If Sky were going to give anyone a shot alongside Landa in the Giro then Henao might be a better prospect.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Wonder what this year will bring for Kennaugh? It doesn't look like he'll ever crack the top 10 of a GT.
  • yorkshireraw
    phreak wrote:
    Wonder what this year will bring for Kennaugh? It doesn't look like he'll ever crack the top 10 of a GT.

An enigma wrapped in an Isle of Man shaped mystery.
  • phreak wrote:

An enigma wrapped in an Isle of Man shaped mystery.

Li'l Pete struggles a bit with the total sacrifice shiz of the life of a pro - especially one at Sky
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    andyp wrote:

One swallow doesn't make a summer.
  • yorkshireraw
    andyp wrote:
    andyp wrote:

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Maybe, but .... 3rd E3, 8th RVV, 7 P-R (2014) and 1st E3, 3rd G-W and 14 RVV (after trying to ride over to Kristoff & Terpstra's winning move) make for a couple of decent Springs.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I wouldn't think it was Thomas' choice to ride the giro. He was probably told that poels is number two at the tour. I wish he'd go back to the classics as well. Jess done pretty well in early season one week races, but I can't see him ever winning big. With a bit of luck he could've won flanders.

I wish Kennaugh would stop signing new sky contacts and go try his hand somewhere else. Hes an annual disappointment
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:
    I wouldn't think it was Thomas' choice to ride the giro. He was probably told that poels is number two at the tour. I wish he'd go back to the classics as well. Jess done pretty well in early season one week races, but I can't see him ever winning big. With a bit of luck he could've won flanders.

I wish Kennaugh would stop signing new sky contacts and go try his hand somewhere else. Hes an annual disappointment

Who's Jess and who does she ride for? :wink:

I agree on the li''l Pete thing. He narrows his options as I've been told before that he'll only consider a team where English is the main language of the team. I just think its too cosy for him to put on his big boy pants and cut away
  • joelsim
    gsk82 wrote:

It was Thomas's choice, he asked to do the Giro.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Only two Italian teams in the Giro. And not good ones at that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    16112627_10154375882548247_6445751573043721590_o.jpg?oh=31d936113592b2c0381cee4f19f90254&oe=591A071F
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    Only two Italian teams in the Giro. And not good ones at that.

Sprints I guess with Mareczko, Albanese and Maronese.

Plus Pippo and Pirazzi to liven things up. The Giro wouldn't be the same without Pirazzi making a ridiculous move 50km from the end and then blowing up with 20km to go.
  • This has to be the end for Savio
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    WATSON_00004141-004-630x419.jpg
  • This has to be the end for Savio

Hard to think otherwise.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • yorkshireraw
    This has to be the end for Savio

Hard to think otherwise.

2018 Androni Team Camp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWnQBbIDgQ

(I expect this has been posted before...)
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Italian cycling in crisis...
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    gsk82 wrote:

Who's Jess and who does she ride for? :wink:

I agree on the li''l Pete thing. He narrows his options as I've been told before that he'll only consider a team where English is the main language of the team. I just think its too cosy for him to put on his big boy pants and cut away

To be fair to him his big boy pants are only for ages 11 to 12
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Androni pulling the plug. Well, twitter says so at least.

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/statu ... 3677826049
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.