Are bulk powders and portien shakes good for your health?

thejames
thejames Posts: 14
edited November 2016 in Training, fitness and health
Are bulk powders/ protein shakes good for your health even in a balance diet? Are their any bad effects the sudden influx of nutrients that these drinks give your body? What about the persevatives in them? Can they cause diabtetes? cancer?

Would be more than help full if you can help with this.

thank you!

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Do you want us to google/bing this for you? As for Bulk Powders, i find it's a good value shop, my favourite product of their's is 100% Cacao Buttons that were instrumental in my cravings management and weight loss.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    moderation .... everything in moderation

use a protein shake to hit your balanced diet macros of Protien, Fat and Carbs + nutrients and there is no issues ........ eat a diet of Protien shakes and nothing else and expect parts of your body not to function as they should.

Same goes with cake, sweets, steak, bacon, bread .... eat them in moderation as part of a balanced diet and they are ALL good for you ..... eat just cake, and .. well .... die !
  • smudgerii
    smudgerii Posts: 125
    It's simple really... It is food not a mystery substance. Eat what you need/want to achieve your nutritional goals.

As with any processed food you need to read the label. I personally avoid any with high carb values, tend to stick with choc flavour which I blend with natural peanut butter a little olive oil & ice for a 'snickers' tasting smoothie
  • Smudgerii wrote:
    tend to stick with choc flavour which I blend with natural peanut butter a little olive oil & ice for a 'snickers' tasting smoothie

It will never replace proper food.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You don't need powders. Just food.
  • thejames wrote:
    Are bulk powders/ protein shakes good for your health even in a balance diet? Are their any bad effects the sudden influx of nutrients that these drinks give your body? What about the persevatives in them? Can they cause diabtetes? cancer?

thank you!

Are you trying to bulk up?
  • smudgerii
    Smudgerii wrote:
    tend to stick with choc flavour which I blend with natural peanut butter a little olive oil & ice for a 'snickers' tasting smoothie

It will never replace proper food.

I'd be happy for you to define "proper" in respect to food. I came here to learn about cycling but willing to learn about absolutely anything really. Every little bit helps.
  • smudgerii
    thejames wrote:

thank you!

Are you trying to bulk up?

What makes you ask that question? It always seems to crop up when protein powders are mentioned.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    mamil314 wrote:
    Do you want us to google/bing this for you? As for Bulk Powders, i find it's a good value shop, my favourite product of their's is 100% Cacao Buttons that were instrumental in my cravings management and weight loss.

These ones?

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/organic-cacao-liquor-buttons.html

Any idea what the weight is of the bag - struggling to find it on that webpage, but picture would make it seem fairly small?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    500g...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Organic-Cacao- ... B01DT7VE4Q

plenty of other sources for the same

also, imho the op's question was about protein/others powders that can be had in bulk, not the company bulk powders
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Have been linked with kidney stones. Unless you're into serious body building I really can't see the need for them.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • sungod
    Carl_P wrote:
    Have been linked with kidney stones. Unless you're into serious body building I really can't see the need for them.

as have eggs, meat and fish, because it's nothing to do with real vs unreal food (whatever that is), it's simply a potential risk associated with long term high protein intake irrespective of source

the point of things like whey protein is they're fast and cheap (if you shop around)
  • sungod
    thejames wrote:

thank you!

they are no different from any other food, the processes of digestion and metabolism don't care, they just get on with it

cancer? some studies have indicated increased cancer risk from meat etc. cooked at high temperatures (enough to brown), does that help?

don't worry about this stuff, nor about people saying xyz is good/bad because it's 'real' or not 'real', just do what you prefer
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I 'bodybuild' without eating meat and taking supplements and I pack on muscle no problem. Not that I am against them, I just stopped buying protein.
  • cougie wrote:
    You don't need powders. Just food.

What he said :-) /\/\/\/\

Some interesting stuff on here.. less is more :-)

http://www.optimumnutrition4sport.com
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    Protein shakes should never be used to replace a whole meal, that would be silly. But immediately after training you will struggle to find something as convenient and macro-nutrient dense, that can begin to assist your body in the recovery process.

If Shakes are only for bodybuilders, we wouldn't see athletes from pretty much all sports having a shake immediately post exercise. Its because they are a quick and convenient to begin the recovery process after intense exercise!

There have been arguments for and against for years and years, but the benefits have been clearly laid out in many studies.
  • Redbaron1
    Redbaron1 Posts: 116
    End of the day they are a convenience product. Can't say I have ever enjoyed consuming them. By all means try them but don't use them as a substitute.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    If you eat a healthy, balanced diet then it is highly unlikely that you are deficient in protein.

A glass of milk and a handful of nuts and raisins immediately after exercise would do the job of any powder or shake and be entirely natural.
  • You can get exactly the same nutrients in skimmed milk, which, unless you are allergic to lactose, has proven over the millenia to be OK health wise. The long term effects of using these products are not well known or understood... they simply have not been around long enough to know what they do to your health in 20 or 30 years of use... so I know where I'd rather go
    left the forum March 2023
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    You can get the same nutrients but not in the same macro quantities

For 100kcal of milk you get 12g carbs, 8g of Protien an 2gof fat

For 100kcal whey you get 5g carbs and 20g Protien

If you are looking to up Protien then whey us better .... If you want more carbs, milk is better.

There are no bad foods ... Just bad diets, eat according to your goals
  • smudgerii
    fat daddy wrote:

If you are looking to up Protien then whey us better .... If you want more carbs, milk is better.

Sadly your good info will be lost in the 'net' science that is spouted of so often... Just look at the posts about unknown long term effects etc.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Better to consume protein in foods which also contain other micro nutrients. The only reason to consume powders is if you have a hugely elevated protein requirement maybe a body builder on steroids or if you have a diet particularly low on protein which is unlikely in the uk.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Better to consume protein in foods which also contain other micro nutrients. The only reason to consume powders is if you have a hugely elevated protein requirement maybe a body builder on steroids or if you have a diet particularly low on protein which is unlikely in the uk.
    Or when you cannot get protein foods directly after a ride or race. That is when I take protein shake, if I have a hard training session, get home and a meal is a while off then I dont want to ruin my meal so have a shake.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You don't really need protein immediately after exercise - your body will use it when it can get it and can't store it anyway so the vast majority of what you take in will be excreted. What you should get immediately is carbs because your insulin levels peak directly after exercise and will preferentially replace your glycogen stores. If you take on some protein at that point it's fine but less critical. A good time, apparently, to top up protein intake is before bed - but small and steady is the way to go with protein for most of us (especially for road cycling where we don't need to bulk up)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • what do the pros do re bp and ps?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    what do the pros do re bp and ps?

Whatever their sponsors tell them, usually...
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    OK, google how whey protein is made for an example.

Supplements have their place, ultimately eating a balanced diet is the answer to most questions but many of us are trying to reduce carbs and increase fat and protein and it's hard to hit the macro targets when you are balancing work, life, etc, etc. Supplementing is an easy way to get the level of nutrients you wanted, especially for protein. If you buy good quality supplements there's no harm at all.
  • Smudgerii wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

Sadly your good info will be lost in the 'net' science that is spouted of so often... Just look at the posts about unknown long term effects etc.

It's always the same with posts of this nature.
    You just need to sort the wheat out from the chaff......... or maybe the whey from the curds :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • smudgerii
    Smudgerii wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

It's always the same with posts of this nature.
    You just need to sort the wheat out from the chaff......... or maybe the whey from the curds :D

:D
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Herbalife F1 shakes and bars are good made from natural products and for targeted health and weight loss/gain. When used with an active physical exercise plan, they assist with tonal development. You can only buy them though from a Herbalife distributor or by becoming a distributor yourself and benefiting from the available discounts. Like all supplements, you should read up on the products first.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.