Tour of Lombardy *spoiler*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650
    Still think that flat run in is too much of a snoooze so deep into the race.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    He was unfortunate today, messed up a corner on a descent and Brambilla went for it and he never got back to the front of the race.
  • andyp

It's difficult to get a decent climb close to the finish when they insist on finishing in the centre of Bergamo. My preference would always be for a Como finish as the two pronged finale of the Cerviglio followed by the San Fermo da Battaglia pretty much guarantees the strongest rider wins.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:

It's difficult to get a decent climb close to the finish when they insist on finishing in the centre of Bergamo. My preference would always be for a Como finish as the two pronged finale of the Cerviglio followed by the San Fermo da Battaglia pretty much guarantees the strongest rider wins.

Yeah though that is less tactically interesting.

I don't know the parcours that well but there was a period 5-8 years ago where it was always the same route more or less with the Ghisallo at around 30km to go (always up the steep lake side). Usually felt that route was quite balanced.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    So who else thought this was tomorrow then?

Oh well, at least I had a good ride

Me, but I caught the last 40km

Me too, luckily I stumbled across it whilst looking for something else and saw the last 30km.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Little Baby Sagan was fascinated by the race. I'm talking entranced, catatonic-ised fascinated.

Had a tantrum shortly after bardet was dropped though, which I think we can all agree proves he* was the moral victor

*Bardet, likes. Baby sagan has strong legz and no upper body strength but he aint world tour level yet.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    I didn't get to watch this, I was too busy doing man things like trying to shop in Screwfix.. but actually needed help from the two women behind the counter...

Was it worth watching?
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited October 2016
    JSCL wrote:
    I didn't get to watch this, I was too busy doing man things like trying to shop in Screwfix.. but actually needed help from the two women behind the counter...
    "I want to break into some bins at the velodrome. Can you recommend a bolt cutter?"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    NorvernRob wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    So who else thought this was tomorrow then?

Oh well, at least I had a good ride

Me, but I caught the last 40km

Me too, luckily I stumbled across it whilst looking for something else and saw the last 30km.

I have my daughter to thank for reminding me it was today when she put it on accidentally when she turned the TV on to watch the Gilmore Girls on Netflix. She wasn't happy - she thought once the Vuelta was over that was it .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    RichN95 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    "I want to break into some bins at the velodrome. Can you recommend a bolt cutter?"

Arse.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • andyp
    JSCL wrote:

Was it worth watching?

Definitely. It's not often in a monument that you get the main contenders going on the attack from 60 kms out.
  • Giuseppe Martinelli is grumpy. I guess he has a right to be.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/10/ ... ers_422062
  • rick_chasey
    Giuseppe Martinelli is grumpy. I guess he has a right to be.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/10/ ... ers_422062

Bruyneel made a good point on twatter.

Had Martinelli backed Rosa to start with Rosa would have been plenty fresher.
  • andyp
    Agreed. They had Rosa doing a long stint on the front on the Miragolo San Salvatore climb to set up Aru, who then decided he wasn't up for it and Rosa should take his own chances. If he'd saved that energy for later he'd probably have won.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Best race of the year, my man wins... and I was too busy cycling in circles...

No sign of RR's photos, so here are some others

122637_peri02.jpg

Putting the hammer down...
    171901_1-LOMBARDIA%202016_0959.jpg

172331b_bazz0021.jpg

AUW...
    173930_619684291.jpg

Love Pip in Belgian Champions Kit...
    172640_619733926.jpg
  • Well FINE :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    First time a non-European has won the race in its 100+ year history according to twitter.

Sadly out on Sat so didn't get to watch.
  • dish_dash
    Also, with this win Colombia tops the WT nation table... pretty impressive.

RR - send us the pics, though realise BA made the trip less than idea...
  • andyp
    coriordan wrote:
    First time a non-European has won the race in its 100+ year history according to twitter.

Vladislav Bobrik might disagree.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

This post is 10/10.

Boom!
  • dish_dash
    andyp wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

This post is 10/10.

Boom!

1. Western Russia is geographically European and most Russians (esp in the West) are ethic Europeans...
    2. I'd argue Bobrik is ethnically European, despite being born in geographically Asian Russia...

181_001.jpg
  • andyp
    Hence the use of might. I've no idea how he identifies himself, but he was born in Asia so, technically, is non-European.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    andyp wrote:
    Hence the use of might. I've no idea how he identifies himself, but he was born in Asia so, technically, is non-European.
    Like how Froome's the first African to win the Tour I guess...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    He'd be eligible to sing in the Eurovision Song Contest, so he's as European as any Austrian, or Australian.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dish_dash
    The long awaited RR photos

image4-20161004-054438858_zpsxvrdoiys.jpg

image3-20161004-054438953_zpsjueipwki.jpg

image1-20161004-05443919_zpset9zwin8.jpg

image2-20161004-05443943_zps0su2p35t.jpg
  • Cheers Dish

Proof that I woz there

More may follow. I am the slowest photo editor in the world
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Cheers Dish

Proof that I woz there

More may follow. I am the slowest photo editor in the world

Yeah, but at least you don't make them all black and white except for one particular rider.

Nice pics.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    image3-20161004-054438953_zpsjueipwki.jpg

Some great shots, but that is a fine photograph, fair play
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    Kennaugh needs to stop with the MJ white-socks black-shoes combo.

Doesn't suit anyone.

Isn't that right Dish?