Twitter: @RichN95
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    In other news, is RR still in departures at LHR then? :wink:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    edited October 2016
    Great late season for Chaves, year for Colombia

edit - forgot Chaves' Giro, so great year for him.
  • Great race. Delighted for Chaves.

OBE got to be team of the year, eh? Umpteen stage wins, 2nd in the Giro, 3rd in the Vuelta, white jersey at the Tour, Lombardia and Paris Roubaix - some season!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Orica have now won four of the five monuments. Pretty good going.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Well rode there by Chaves, he held his nerve and finished that superbly.

Pretty poor coverage at times, some terrible direction and motorcycle riding to match.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,653
    Fell asleep and missed the move which brought the front 4.

That flat run into Bergamo was another snooze wasn't it?

Surprised Uran chased Rosa so often - Chavez was more in form, though I backed Uran.

End of season canondale desperation.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Great race. Delighted for Chaves.

OBE got to be team of the year, eh? Umpteen stage wins, 2nd in the Giro, 3rd in the Vuelta, white jersey at the Tour, Lombardia and Paris Roubaix - some season!

Can't argue with that.

Chaves is brilliant, isn't he?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • thegibdog
    The chase group could've made it interesting if they'd actually chased.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Orica have now won four of the five monuments. Pretty good going.

Not this season?
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:

Chaves is brilliant, isn't he?

Absolutely! What a boy.

So good to see him get the win after the season he's had. You know if he'd been pipped and got 2nd he'd still be smiling.
  • rick_chasey
    thegibdog wrote:
    The chase group could've made it interesting if they'd actually chased.

240km of that kind of parcours means you get a fairly natural selection. At that point everyone's knackered and either a) the group stays together or if there's a group out front b) they have enough legs and incentive to keep it working.

That's my analysis anyway.
  • 240km of that kind of parcours means you get a fairly natural selection. At that point everyone's knackered and either a) the group stays together or if there's a group out front b) they have enough legs and incentive to keep it working.

That's a fair point, thought there were enough potential outcomes from the front group to keep it interesting today though.
  • rick_chasey
    Does make me think maybe I should have bought a POC helmet instead...
  • thegibdog
    240km of that kind of parcours means you get a fairly natural selection. At that point everyone's knackered and either a) the group stays together or if there's a group out front b) they have enough legs and incentive to keep it working.
    True enough.

This is still likely to be the best race of the autumn. The spring seems so far away!

Surprised that there weren't more fans commenting on this cycling, given that it took place on a weekend...
  • rick_chasey

That's a fair point, thought there were enough potential outcomes from the front group to keep it interesting today though.

Just comes at the wrong time for me. You're just whetting your appetite for the finale and then you get this kinda stalemate for 5km - it also puts off any attacks just before.

Was worse when Martin won. Final climb is good fun in an MSR way but the odd year route feels more dramatic and Lonbardi-esq.
  • RonB wrote:

Bwahahahahaha

Thanks to BA, I had to go straight to Bergamo from the airport. Was up in the cittia near the Porte (not Richie)

Got to get back down to car & drive to Bellagio. I'll see if I have any photos in focus over dinner :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Meh a plate of smears and foam all looks the same to me :P
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    So who else thought this was tomorrow then?

Oh well, at least I had a good ride
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RonB wrote:

Bwahahahahaha

Thanks to BA, I had to go straight to Bergamo from the airport. Was up in the cittia near the Porte (not Richie)

Got to get back down to car & drive to Bellagio. I'll see if I have any photos in focus over dinner :wink:

At least you got some of the race. Good old BA
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,533
    ddraver wrote:

Me, but I caught the last 40km
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    thegibdog wrote:
    True enough.

This is still likely to be the best race of the autumn. The spring seems so far away!

Surprised that there weren't more fans commenting on this cycling, given that it took place on a weekend...

Some stick ball going on
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    The last race of Mr Ryder Hejedal and (astonishingly) Frank Schleck
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    ddraver wrote:

Me. In spite of the fact I've done nothing but sit on the sofa all day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    EPC06 wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    True enough.

Some stick ball going on

Too busy reading medical papers they don't understand on corticosteroids.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    ddraver wrote:
    The last race of Mr Ryder Hejedal and (astonishingly) Frank Schleck

Along with IAM Cycling I suppose :|
  • rick_chasey
    No one will miss IAM apart from middle aged men with bad taste in kit.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

I mean today I was surprised how little work Chavez got away with, and the move with 4 big favourites went very early (so early I was sleeping....) and it ruled out an awful lot of big teams an riders.

And I can't find many people discussing that. And we won't on the cycling podcast or whatever.

Thought I'd bring this discussion into here.

I think this big move from so far out was partly due to the parcours, as with that 15 kms of flat roads after the Selvino descent before the final climb to Bergamo Alto, the better climbers knew they needed a race winning gap before they got there, and partly due to the race situation where, with 60 kms to go, most of the teams with an interest in winning the race were down to their nominated leader plus a solitary domestique. Gesink, who was alone, capitalised on this and went for it as it shook out the strongest riders and a few lieutenants. Those left behind didn't have either the strength or the numbers to bring that lead group back.
  • rick_chasey
    Ja makes sense. Like I said I missed the move but makes sense.

Tailwind too by the looks of it; were knocking not far off 55kph on the flat on the way in.
  • rick_chasey
    Gesink has been riding fairly astutely this year generally.

Quite nice to see him not having to employ the "clamp on the favourites for as long as possible" tactic. Think as adventurous as it got last year was anticipating a GC MTF show down by nipping off ahead.