Marmotte 2017

Anyone had any experience with this?
I've been looking at a tour company that offer airport transfers lodging and meals, they also offer a recce of part of the route and mechanic support and food stops if you participate in the sportive.
The cost is around £600 not including flights and the entry to the Marmotte.
Not sure if it's worth all the cash. Looking at £900 for the weekend.

Has anyone planned to do the sportive but sort own accommodation?

Comments

• Yes I have always sorted my own. Loads of Marmotte threads on here but basically it's very easy to sort your own travel, entry and accommodation out though I guess organised trips may mean you are part of a group and good company is part of the experience.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Easy to find accommodation in Alpe d'Huez, plenty of hotel rooms at all levels.

In fact the part of a group aspect is the only reason I can think of to go with a tour operator for this.
  • Olas
    Olas Posts: 54
    Same, booked an apartment for three of us in Alpe D'Huez and drove there with bikes.
    Lots of supermarkets in the area, worked well especially staying in Aple D'Huez at the end. Cold cycling to the start in the morning.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    A word of advice if you are staying in Alpe d'Huez, the Marmotte starts in Bourg d'Oisans at the bottom of the Alpe so you will have that descent first thing in the morning when it is usually quite chilly. The first time I did the Marmotte in 2001 that was the first Alpine desecent I had ever done and it was pretty nerve-wracking, especially with loads of other cyclists doing the same but about twice as fast as you.

Two things, if it is chilly either wear a gilet/rain jacket if you are intending taking one on the ride or use a bin bag that you can rip off and discard later when you have warmed up. Second thing, practice at least part of the descent before the event if you have never done an Alpine descent before. Those hairpins come up pretty quickly!
  • narbs
    Apparently the Bourg d'Oisans tourist office have confirmed that the 2017 Marmotte will be on Sunday 2 July as expected, rather than the traditional Saturday.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Indeed Narbs.

6 of us have booked with Sport Tours...in hindsight I'm sure we could've done it ourselves....and they said it would be the Sunday but everyone else was advertising for Sat.
    Not great when you've already paid :)

We'll drive from Geneva and hope our Citroen hire van copes with the Alpe :)

The first time I did the Alpe I was amazed at how much speed you can pick up so definitely need to be awake on the morning as above.
  • narbs
    We've booked a house in Bourg this time - luckily I gambled last month and extended the stay to Monday.

Torn between the ease of taking the train and then bus from Grenoble or driving and having the convenience of the car for the stay.
  • rc856
    Yeah, we've booked the event and hotel with the firm but we're hiring cars from the airport so we're our own bosses in that respect.
  • Sunday confirmed on the event website too http://marmotte.sportcommunication.info/epreuve.php?C=1 .

The World's gone mad: UK leaving the EU, Trump still in with a chance of becoming US Preident, Marmotte on a Sunday. My French suggests the organisers feel the same way (from comment on event page).
  • Going back for the third year running.

Staying in Venosc this year in large Ski Chalet

Flying Tuesday Am, back Monday PM. although some folks are staying from Monday till week Wednesday.

Brilliant event, cant wait.

Lot easier last year than year before, mainly down to the temperature, although I also think the route in 2015 was probably a little tougher
  • rc856
    We're out on the Fri, home Mon.

I'm a pasty white Scotsman so I'm hoping it isn't too hot!
    That's probably why I usually head to Belgium in April rather than France in July!
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    It's much cheaper organising it yourself - the tough part is buying the entry ticket as it sells out in days, so you need to be quick. Tour operators get a set of reserved tickets they sell on at a premium.

For good quality, cheap accommodation in the area I'd recommend AirBnB. I've stayed at Les Deux Alpes and Alpe d'Huez renting a fully equipped chalet with awesome views, but there's plenty of choice.
  • narbs
    Entries open 7 November.
  • A word of warning about tour companies advertising recce rides few day before La MArmotte. Unless you are very young and fit your legs need all the rest they can get before the big day! . I will be there two weeks, the first week reccing the second week leisurely riding around at easy pace with few climbs and spins but nothing major. Yet again I am retired .. so I have plenty of time. I have booked a chalet in Allemond. with Airbnb. Yes better book yourself in the valley It is warmer in the evening to stroll around. I liked Venosc that somebody else mentioned even though I never stayed there, just stopped for lunch. Nice village.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    It's a difficult balance but I must admit when I've done the Marmotte I like to get plenty of riding done in the week of the event - seems a shame to waste the opportunity when you are over there and unless you are a regular in the mountains it takes a couple of days to get your eye in for 50mph plus descending and to adapt to the 30 degree plus heat. No I wouldn't go and do 5-6 hours the day before but including the event it's normally a 250 mile week which for me is big miles especially given the terrain.
  • narbs
    I've always enjoyed events more when I've had at least a couple of days riding in the area.

Accom, flights and car hire booked for next year, just need to make sure I get my entry now!
  • This will be my plan pre marmotte week

Sun - nice steady 60 odd miles at home, test bike after service
    Mon - pack bike
    Tues - 6.30am fly to France. Tues pm build bike, ride from Venosc up alpdhuez to turn 6 across to villard recluse down to bourg and back to Venosc
    Wed - drive to Briancon and climb izoard down, back up other side, back to Brian in to car
    Thurs - col d sarrene from mizion and down alp
    Fri - Venosc to vaujany with lunch in Allemond
    Sat - sign on and chill maybe a very small spin
    SUN -RACEDAY.

I found by doing more climbing before the event was much more beneficial than when I did next to nowt.
    All the climbing pre marmotte will be cool trolled steady efforts.
    Buzzing can't wait, 3rd year running
  • narbs
    Get your entry in if you're going!
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    I'm in - looking forward to it
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • fuzzdog
    fuzzdog Posts: 196
    I'm a bit surprised there isn't more mention on here during Marmotte registration week from successful applicants.
    I registered last week for a package but on looking at the Sport communication website it would seem that the Marmotte is still available. Normally it would be sold out within a day or so. Its been open for four days now. Maybe people have finally had their fill. I thought I had.
    Strange there is so little forum activity though.
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    The move to Sunday innit - putting a lot of people off I reckon. Not me, I'm back for revenge for 2013.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    One of my mates is in again next year but I'm done, I couldn't better my time from this year, trained my arse too and made the gold time for my age group, I'm more than happy with that.

Although I will be there as support and training partner for my mates
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fuzzdog
    Im just hoping to finish, preferably with an official time. It' will be my forth go. Finished last year but not with a time. They always say about the gold and silver medals but does anyone know if there is a bronze medal. I don't havea chance of silver but it would be nice to have something solid to show for my efforts.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I think there is a finishers certificate isn't there - if you make the cut off but not a gold or silver?

Interesting it hasn't sold out in 5 minutes this year. I've done it 4 times and I can't see a situation where I'd do it again in the short term. Maybe in a few years when it'd be a challenge to see how close I could get to the time I used to be able to do - it'd be something to train for again then - or if one of my kids or maybe my brothers wanted a cycling challenge it'd be fun to do some training and go over with them.
  • narbs
    fuzzdog wrote:
    Im just hoping to finish, preferably with an official time. It' will be my forth go. Finished last year but not with a time. They always say about the gold and silver medals but does anyone know if there is a bronze medal. I don't havea chance of silver but it would be nice to have something solid to show for my efforts.

As long as you get to the bottom of the climb to AdH within the time limit you'll get a bronze time, and can even exchange the 10€ you get back for your timing chip for a lovely medal ;)
  • fuzzdog
    Oh. Thanks Marbs.
    But presumably you still have to climb the Alpe?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    This will be my plan pre marmotte week

Sun - nice steady 60 odd miles at home, test bike after service
    Mon - pack bike
    Tues - 6.30am fly to France. Tues pm build bike, ride from Venosc up alpdhuez to turn 6 across to villard recluse down to bourg and back to Venosc
    Wed - drive to Briancon and climb izoard down, back up other side, back to Brian in to car
    Thurs - col d sarrene from mizion and down alp
    Fri - Venosc to vaujany with lunch in Allemond
    Sat - sign on and chill maybe a very small spin
    SUN -RACEDAY.

I found by doing more climbing before the event was much more beneficial than when I did next to nowt.
    All the climbing pre marmotte will be cool trolled steady efforts.
    Buzzing can't wait, 3rd year running

I'd never get the bike serviced so close to an event. (actually I never get the bike serviced as such - I replace most bits myself as and when), The only real time things go wrong is when the bike has been messed around with - ie a service.

If you're going to get it serviced give it a few weeks of space before the big ride. Bikes are pretty simple. Its not like they need to be serviced immediately before a ride.
  • narbs
    fuzzdog wrote:
    Oh. Thanks Marbs.
    But presumably you still have to climb the Alpe?

Yeah, there's no escaping that!
  • fuzzdog
    Fair enough. I will need to take less photos next year then. Missed the cut off by about 20 mins this year. Traffic jams on the new road at Chambon didn't help either.
    I just found out I am selected for the Maratona too. Although I think it's possible to defer until next year.
  • rc856
    Hi folks,

How's the training going!
    I might have missed it but is it just a medical certificate that's required?
    No race licence?

Also, do you only get a Gold or Silver medal? Nothing for times outwith those?

Cheers