2016 Worlds *spoilers*

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Turning out to be a good watch, this is all making up for the course.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    As messy as group 1 is the gap isn't growing.

Doesn't need to though, the Belgians are playing a blinder and using no more energy than they need to. If the gap closes at all they'll up it a bit.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Bennati looks sheer class on a bike.
  • yorkshireraw
    Who will the Italians favour - Nizzolo or Viviani?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Is Viviani in the lead group - with 3 teammates who are doing very little work? That would seem a nice position to be in
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Italians just starting to contribute now.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Who is Taylor Phinney working for - he is on the front of the chase group as much as anyone
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,172
    Big group pulled out by officials, Rowe, Stannard, Cummings and Thomas out for GB, Tom D amongst 3 dutch out
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    imatfaal wrote:
    Who is Taylor Phinney working for - he is on the front of the chase group as much as anyone

Cav, Bylthe and Phinney are all good mates.

If Cav doesn't win its pretty poor from the rest of the team I think.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537
    Aside from the nationals I can't think of a time Cav has won from a similar position to this.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Markwb79 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

Cav, Bylthe and Phinney are all good mates.

If Cav doesn't win its pretty poor from the rest of the team I think.

Got that wrong, Phinney is in the second group.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Aside from the nationals I can't think of a time Cav has won from a similar position to this.

The tour stage with the cross winds a few years ago?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    So how many times does this need to happen before British Cycling - or whoever - realises that smashing the first 100km on the front is a terrible tactic

Cu4vllhWYAAeBVG.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean wrote:

Had more team mates with him then, and EQS weren't outnumbered as GB are here
  • RonB
    edited October 2016
    If a BEL and ITA rider attack off the front with a lap or two to go then Sags, Cav and Bling will have to do something, but that could be an ideal situation for Boonen, GVA or Vivianni
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537
    edited October 2016
    TheBigBean wrote:

Most of the group weren't trying to win but were working for time. Therefore there were no attacks and just a sprint against Sagan.

This time there will be lots of attacks plus quite a few quick men.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:
    So how many times does this need to happen before British Cycling - or whoever - realises that smashing the first 100km on the front is a terrible tactic
    They have two riders in the selection of 26 including the fastest sprinter. They're doing OK. Lots of teams would love that situation.

Millar's constant criticism is because he desperately wants to be in charge of the GB team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yorkshireraw
    TheBigBean wrote:

Tinkoff were more interested in working for time for GC than winning that stage. Cav had a couple of teammates in that selection.
  • ddraver
    edited October 2016
    Cav's not in a bad position here. Presumably ITA, NOR and BEL are going to form some leadouts so Cav (and Sagan) can surf the appropriate one.

It's not an A1 position but it's far from game over. Lets not forget what happened yesterday

(Good to see Degenkolb back I must say, not the best day true, but at least he's there)
    - @ddraver
  • RonB
    Blythe back with the leaders after a rear wheel change
  • RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    They have two riders in the selection of 26 including the fastest sprinter. They're doing OK. Lots of teams would love that situation.

Millar's constant criticism is because he desperately wants to be in charge of the GB team.

Please cycling gods, never let that come to pass
  • How many times does Cav win without team mates, is he not famed for being able to do so? He'll hold his own and if he has form, and this goes to a bunch sprint, he is the best sprinter in that group.

He didn't have the best train during the tour and won 4 stages.

God it's obvious now why the Cav has lost it thread is so common on this forum. Tedious.
  • yorkshireraw
    Cav has 2 other DD teammates in there as well I think?
  • I can't see how the GB performance can be criticised at this stage. Big effort to ensure two riders make the lead group, one of which must be in with a shout, and other one is no slouch even if he is an unpalatable character.
  • ddraver
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    I can't see how the GB performance can be criticised at this stage. Big effort to ensure two riders make the lead group, one of which must be in with a shout, and other one is no slouch even if he is an unpalatable character.

Well...

Cav started with 7 team mates

Sagan started with 2

Both are now in the same position. It's not great really is it...

Cav and Blythe are great racers. For some reason when GB go to a worlds (save Copenhagen) they leave their brains on the bus.
    - @ddraver
  • PuttyKnees wrote:
    I can't see how the GB performance can be criticised at this stage. Big effort to ensure two riders make the lead group, one of which must be in with a shout, and other one is no slouch even if he is an unpalatable character.

Because it's Team GB, they could have 8 riders in the top ten and win the jersey and someone on here would find some way to criticise them.
  • ddraver
    I'll criticise any team that cocks up, especially in such an obvious way. If it was a one off then fair enough, but it's not. It's the story of Team GB at the worlds for the last 4 years.
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Cav this Cav that. Yawn. Fingers uncrossed for him.
  • We'll have to disagree. They have put the best sprinter into the lead group. It would be better if he had a couple more team mates to be able to react to Belgium attacks but it really doesn't count as a cock up.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    ddraver wrote:
    I'll criticise any team that cocks up, especially in such an obvious way. If it was a one off then fair enough, but it's not. It's the story of Team GB at the worlds for the last 4 years.

So where have you criticised the Germans and French then?