Your Wristwatches

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    BTW how many of you wristwatch wearers also wear jewellery?

A watch is my only jewellery unless you call spectacles jewellery of course. I personally see a watch (and prescription spectacles) as a tool to do the job of timekeeping not jewellery.

I wonder if there is any relationship between wearing jewellery and wearing or not wearing watches. Are there a majority of men out there with watch on one wrist and chunky gold chain on the other? Signate ring and watch?
    Wedding ring and a St Christopher that no-one is going to see
  • So is a wedding ring compulsory? None of the males on my dad's side wear one. His father had a Signate ring but that was his father's and went to his oldest son when he died. If not then it's jewellery. Political jewellery maybe, in that you'll lose anatomy if caught taking it off! :wink:
  • He was given it in exchange for the trousers he used to wear.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Haha, indeed but i'm happy enough to be branded, she's not a bad old stick! :D
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    So is a wedding ring compulsory? None of the males on my dad's side wear one. His father had a Signate ring but that was his father's and went to his oldest son when he died. If not then it's jewellery. Political jewellery maybe, in that you'll lose anatomy if caught taking it off! :wink:
    I've been told in no uncertain terms that I am wearing a wedding ring at all times.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    My everyday watch. In fact my only watch.

cwatch2.jpg
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Also wear rings (not all the time ) bracelets, both gold and leather , again only sometimes but wear 2 earings all the time along with a gold neckchain and silver pendant.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • 22stu
    22stu Posts: 69
    Mr Goo wrote:
    My everyday watch. In fact my only watch.

cwatch2.jpg

Very Seamaster'ish - Just had a look on their site and well priced too.....
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Mini watch collection which will often pale to others

Daniel Wellington for day to day
    Omega Seamaster, Ti on rubber (too big for my wrist IMO)
    Piaget Altiplano for evening/occasions/not to be bashed around (but commonly used)

Wear no other jewellery apart from some necklaces (pendant and a cross, for various personal reasons). Never got on with the sig ring, and more often than not I've forgotten to put my watch on as I rush out the house before I am late for work.

Sean, where do you wear that ring?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • seanoconn
    Flâneur wrote:
    Mini watch collection which will often pale to others

Daniel Wellington for day to day
    Omega Seamaster, Ti on rubber (too big for my wrist IMO)
    Piaget Altiplano for evening/occasions/not to be bashed around (but commonly used)

Wear no other jewellery apart from some necklaces (pendant and a cross, for various personal reasons). Never got on with the sig ring, and more often than not I've forgotten to put my watch on as I rush out the house before I am late for work.

Sean, where do you wear that ring?

Nailed to my forehead.
  • seanoconn wrote:
    So is a wedding ring compulsory? None of the males on my dad's side wear one. His father had a Signate ring but that was his father's and went to his oldest son when he died. If not then it's jewellery. Political jewellery maybe, in that you'll lose anatomy if caught taking it off! :wink:
    I've been told in no uncertain terms that I am wearing a wedding ring at all times.

Watch only - used to wear wedding ring until someone de-gloved their finger in front of me. Also not worn for infection control.

TDV doesn't wear hers but does wear her engagement ring.

Re watch: a Tissot thing that is nice and chunky and glows at night but wouldn't wear anything really sweet as I'd break it in 10 minutes.

Best watch I ever owned was a CWC RN divers watch- big, chunky, bombproof. That watch would could tell some stories. Stolen in the end which was blimmin' annoying, leading to a series of issued watches that are utter junk.

One of these in fact: http://www.cwcwatch.com/products/cwc-rn ... ssue-watch
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    BTW how many of you wristwatch wearers also wear jewellery?

A watch is my only jewellery unless you call spectacles jewellery of course. I personally see a watch (and prescription spectacles) as a tool to do the job of timekeeping not jewellery.

I wonder if there is any relationship between wearing jewellery and wearing or not wearing watches. Are there a majority of men out there with watch on one wrist and chunky gold chain on the other? Signate ring and watch?

Three rings and an antique St Christopher (and a cotton 'bracelet' that a Buddhist monk gave me in 2009).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    22stu wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Also if you buy the right watch, its a fine investment and highly unlikely you'll lose money....

Indeed. The new Rolex Daytona is commanding a lot of money above rrp as is the Omega 'Snoopy' Speedmaster. And there is the person I know who has been a collector for years who purchased his custom 458 Speziale on the sale of one watch from his collection. He delivered the watchpersonally to the buyer in the US or I should say the buyers wife as her husband had arranged to go hunting. :)
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlp6Affi2PBd2TAgGPWQ8Py8kdG8jdheW6VVYBjCc6WAmzsJNW

I never take it off whatever I am doing, every 2 or three years the strap breaks so I buy another one for £10 .
    It's light slim accurate waterproof disposable lights up at night ,It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear,and it absolutely will not stop, ever.

well perhaps not that last bit, but it does not bruise my wrist or break down and the strap does not get digested by fluids encountered in healthcare work.

I am surprised not more cyclists came on here with practical choices. It is fun to own something beautiful of historic interest , I do appreciate that.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    priory wrote:

I am surprised not more cyclists came on here with practical choices. It is fun to own something beautiful of historic interest , I do appreciate that.

tbh cycling is one of the times i don't wear a watch, usually no phone either
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,545
    sungod wrote:
    priory wrote:

tbh cycling is one of the times i don't wear a watch, usually no phone either
    I never wear a nice watch when on the bike, just one of the digis. Phone is not a bad idea just in case something goes t1ts up.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I own one working watch and one smartwatch / fitness band. I wear both on my commute. One to wear and read the time, the other to record my ride into work. If I had another watch that worked reliably I'd wear that. I'm tempted to get something, any suggestions? Up to about £70 and it'll not get noticed.

P.S. it's the second thing I put on after getting up, the watch that is. Also the second to last thing to come off. If I'm without a watch I fidget and end up looking at the pale white band of skin where the watch should be. Obsessive watch wearer, have been since primary school.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,545
    I own one working watch and one smartwatch / fitness band. I wear both on my commute. One to wear and read the time, the other to record my ride into work. If I had another watch that worked reliably I'd wear that. I'm tempted to get something, any suggestions? Up to about £70 and it'll not get noticed.

P.S. it's the second thing I put on after getting up, the watch that is. Also the second to last thing to come off. If I'm without a watch I fidget and end up looking at the pale white band of skin where the watch should be. Obsessive watch wearer, have been since primary school.
    If you can go a bit higher on price then a G-Shock is pretty hard to fault.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    I own one working watch and one smartwatch / fitness band. I wear both on my commute. One to wear and read the time, the other to record my ride into work. If I had another watch that worked reliably I'd wear that. I'm tempted to get something, any suggestions? Up to about £70 and it'll not get noticed.

Seiko 5 for that price range. Smart looking automatics and lots of choice.
  • Hey that Seiko 5 looks decent for the money. BTW automatic means body.movement equals power to a quartz movement right? What's the reserve on.that? One write this said you had to wear it for 12 hours to.get it working properly. Really?
  • seanoconn
    Having to wear it for 12 hours first is nonsense. Swish it around like a brandy glass before you put it on your wrist (I'm not a brandy drinker) People often say shake an automatic but hard shaking can damage the movement. Depending how active you are during the day will decide the power reserve. If you're fairly active you can expect a power reserve from this range of 24 hours or so, fairly inactive and you might get only a few hours. If you are used to the accuracy of quarts, you may find the + or - 30 seconds a day a Seiko 5 can lose intolerable. But wearing a watch with a beautifully designed automatic movement which you have to take off your wrists and set every so often is part of its charm.

There's a lot more than one choice for Seiko 5's.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=nb ... ns+seiko+5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Took the lad out watch shopping yesterday, eventually settled on a titanium Citizen Eco drive thing. Limited edition thing with a big fancy box and a free head torch (bit odd) but a very nice watch and one I hope will last. Also got a cheap Casio digital to wear to school and such like.
    He's well chuffed.
  • seanoconn
    Good choice, lucky boy.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    Nice memory created there v68
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Thanks, it was the nicest one we looked at so I'm glad he chose it. I was trying not to pressure or steer him and left the choice to him so was pleased with his choice. It's one of these:
    Royal-Marines-Commandos.png
    In other watch related news having been quoted £80 to replace the battery in my TAG by a dealer or £120 if it was sent to TAG I looked elsewhere. Got quoted £25 but told there was no guarantee of being waterproof by a small jeweller. Did it myself for a huge total of £2.69 in the end.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Nice choices. Seem to have similar taste to me. I had a PAM001 which I sold sometime ago. Wish I had kept it. Was just perhaps a little large.

With you on the not a Hublot fan. Love the Hulk and the AP Royal Oak. Grail watch would have to be a Patek Complication of some sort. But that is fantasy land.
    amrushton wrote:
    I love watches and have gone thro' a few. Currently

Rolex Sea Dweller (2001)
    IWC MkXV
    Rolex mid size bi-metal DJ
    Rolex Explorer I (away @ service)
    Rolex Polar Explorer
    Oris Big Crown
    Oris Big Crown (original)
    C.Ward Diver (600m)

I've had JlC/Panerai/Omega and others. I HATE Hublot but would like a simple AP Royal Oak and a Rolex Hulk
  • twist83
    I did the same on my Tag F1 as well. Don't wear it and seemed silly spending £100+ to change a battery on a watch which cost me £500 new 8 years ago and is worth £300 odd.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Thanks, it was the nicest one we looked at so I'm glad he chose it. I was trying not to pressure or steer him and left the choice to him so was pleased with his choice. It's one of these:
    Royal-Marines-Commandos.png
    In other watch related news having been quoted £80 to replace the battery in my TAG by a dealer or £120 if it was sent to TAG I looked elsewhere. Got quoted £25 but told there was no guarantee of being waterproof by a small jeweller. Did it myself for a huge total of £2.69 in the end.
  • seanoconn
    A friend of mine has just come back from Turkey with 2 Rolex, a Hublot and a Phillipe Patek....
  • twist83
    Genuine Replicas ;)

To be fair I have seen some of the high end Reps. I am talking £1000 modified pieces and they are staggering quality wise. Impressive. Would easily fool 99% of the general public and collectors and probably a good chunk of the dealers.

There are whole forums dedicated to replicas. I suspect the Turkey ones are not of this quality ;)

I don't see the point in fakes. There are plenty of stunning watches in the price bracket fakes cost. Also when you are talking Hublot and Pateks. We are talking serious expensive watches which are a dead give away when the owners climb into a Mondeo.
  • 22stu
    22stu Posts: 69
    twist83 wrote:
    Genuine Replicas ;)

To be fair I have seen some of the high end Reps. I am talking £1000 modified pieces and they are staggering quality wise. Impressive. Would easily fool 99% of the general public and collectors and probably a good chunk of the dealers.

There are whole forums dedicated to replicas. I suspect the Turkey ones are not of this quality ;)

I don't see the point in fakes. There are plenty of stunning watches in the price bracket fakes cost. Also when you are talking Hublot and Pateks. We are talking serious expensive watches which are a dead give away when the owners climb into a Mondeo.

There are some amazing replicas - friend of mine who collects a good few watches paid over 20k for a Audemars Piguet from a dealer, actually turned out to be a replica. Fortunately dealer was very prompt in returning his funds!