Your Wristwatches

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Seems to me a lot on here have more money than others. Omega, Breitling, Patek and Rolex. I know watches can be investment pieces to pass down the generations. But I reckon if you own those watches I bet your garden shed contents and watch collections cost more than my house.

Those same people with nice watches seem to have the nicest bikes, cycle clothing. etc. It's great that you've got the success to be able to buy yourself the luxuries. Jealous!

My luxury is a £700 bike and it's getting hammered on the commute. Still I'm happy with my lot and my Seiko rip off from H Samuel. Perhaps I'll splash out on a polar m400 and / or a Casio for work one day. More luxuries. :D

The material existence is bollox, my realization came coming back from a fantastic holiday and one of the highlights was my daughter falling asleep on my shoulder in the car.

If you're happy and content my friend then you are indeed a rich man.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As above. I am a sucker for materialistic bollox and now really want to just spend my hard earned on good times and happy memories. With the odd bit of cycling kit thrown in :).

The watch was a gift and has some sentimental attachment, though.
  • Indeed, I've had ongoing health issues I would happily give away any of my possessions if it meant being fully fit again. But it doesn't work like that so well being and health is the only thing to really value in life as when you have it at least you are already in a decent position to tackle everything else.
  • ^^^ Get a better job, or keep your 'contentment' to yourself ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    type:epyt wrote:
    ^^^ Get a better job, or keep your 'contentment' to yourself ...

Who on earth is that aimed at? :?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Just thought of it seeing this thread but does anyone remember a watch from the 80s with a calculator and or one that you could play a game on it as well,it was popular at the time around school a sort of space invaders.
  • most of my mine are ones that were once part of my grandfathers collection. used to flip watches fairly regularly but have found myself coming back to this for the last few years over watches worth more than twice as much

IMG_5897.jpg
  • Just thought of it seeing this thread but does anyone remember a watch from the 80s with a calculator and or one that you could play a game on it as well,it was popular at the time around school a sort of space invaders.

Casio 'Soccer' watch ... I had one of those around 1984 time ... It beeped a tune everytime you scored a goal and I had to sit on it to cover up the noise when I used to play it in church on Sundays ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohStA4Swlc0
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • type:epyt wrote:
    Just thought of it seeing this thread but does anyone remember a watch from the 80s with a calculator and or one that you could play a game on it as well,it was popular at the time around school a sort of space invaders.

Casio 'Soccer' watch ... I had one of those around 1984 time ... It beeped a tune everytime you scored a goal and I had to sit on it to cover up the noise when I used to play it in church on Sundays ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohStA4Swlc0

Ha yeah i remember that one,but just been thinking about it and i got it mixed up with a calculator watch with games and a Casio MG-880 that i had so that has cleared that up for me,cheers for that back on topic :)

trimex21-img600x450-1432737911fwxfn415101.jpg
  • Slowmart wrote:
    Seems to me a lot on here have more money than others. Omega, Breitling, Patek and Rolex. I know watches can be investment pieces to pass down the generations. But I reckon if you own those watches I bet your garden shed contents and watch collections cost more than my house.

Those same people with nice watches seem to have the nicest bikes, cycle clothing. etc. It's great that you've got the success to be able to buy yourself the luxuries. Jealous!

My luxury is a £700 bike and it's getting hammered on the commute. Still I'm happy with my lot and my Seiko rip off from H Samuel. Perhaps I'll splash out on a polar m400 and / or a Casio for work one day. More luxuries. :D

The material existence is bollox, my realization came coming back from a fantastic holiday and one of the highlights was my daughter falling asleep on my shoulder in the car.

If you're happy and content my friend then you are indeed a rich man.
    Happy, not poor but not truly comfortable. However my young son means I'm rich in ways money can't touch. I still want to own nice watches though. Naked without clothes and a watch. I even converted my other half into a watch owner too. I still look for a new watch every so often but until I see a bargain I hold off.
  • As a primary school kid when calculator watches were the latest thing we looked at them in.catalogues as being beyond our reach. Nobody had . The best my friends had were a basic digital or a cheap Seconda wind up watch.

Then a friend's brother found a roll of £50 held together by a Casio calculator watch. He handed it into the police but they handed it back a month or so later when it wasn't claimed. He kept the money but handed the watch to my.mate. Cue boasting and a lot of kids asking for it go with it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Own one (cheap). Never wear it. There are clocks everywhere.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • My everyday watch is the Omega Seamster which I've had since 2002 and for special occasions I have the Omega 40th Anniversary Speedster which I bought for my 40th birthday although wished I had waited for the Dark Side of The Moon version which is cool as in black!
  • Nothing too flashy for me. I also have a Rotary Moonphase, which doesn't get worn, because I can't be bothered changing the battery.

A660.30314.16SBB_C.jpg
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Happy, not poor but not truly comfortable. However my young son means I'm rich in ways money can't touch. I still want to own nice watches though. Naked without clothes and a watch. I even converted my other half into a watch owner too. I still look for a new watch every so often but until I see a bargain I hold off.

Nicely said.

I consider myself quite rich as i wake up every morning and I'm able go for a poo in a toilet. Doesn't sound a lot but it sure as hell beats being fastened to a colostomy bag like my colleague at work.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    seanoconn wrote:
    Has anyone actually dived with their divers watches?
    Not diving proper but been swimming with it...

Dsc01271.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've been diving with my Tag but not that deep and tbh I don't really like diving all that much. Was very peaceful and fun to do every now and then but not really a hobby for me.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Maybe one day...

bb7a2c065ecfdd9c1b4c888bb0b66e62.jpg
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Rolex GMT 2
    Oris Full Steel
    Seiko "Dress" Watch
    3 Swatch (various)
    Silver Pocket Watch
  • fnq59
    fnq59 Posts: 37
    TAG F1
    TAG Carrera Cal 1887 Chrono
    Tudor Heritage Blue Chrono
    Oris Great Barrier Reef II (had to given where I live)
    Longines Heritage Moonphase
    Bausele Chronos Series Red
    G Shock
    Citizen Ecodrive
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,081
    I've got a Raymond Weil chronograph as a daily watch and birth year Rolex Oyster

[Rlx1500s.JPG
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    seanoconn wrote:

I taught scuba diving for many years and always wore a watch as back up to the dive computer, dived up to four times a day when needed so they really got used.
  • seanoconn wrote:

I wore my IWC Aquatimer when I was obtaining my PADI license.

I have the huge rubber strap for my Jaeger LeCoultre but I like it so much on leather band I have never let it get wet. 100ATM that avoids a running tap.....
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    fnq59 wrote:
    TAG F1
    TAG Carrera Cal 1887 Chrono
    Tudor Heritage Blue Chrono
    Oris Great Barrier Reef II (had to given where I live)
    Longines Heritage Moonphase
    Bausele Chronos Series Red
    G Shock
    Citizen Ecodrive
    You live by the Great Barrier Reef? :(
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    TLW1 wrote:
    I've got a Raymond Weil chronograph as a daily watch and birth year Rolex Oyster

[Rlx1500s.JPG
    I'd love a cool watch from my birth year. I found a Timex from my birth year :?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    seanoconn wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:

[Rlx1500s.JPG

Not practical for some of us.

stock-photo-spain-tarragona-ancient-sundial-on-a-stone-platform-21459691.jpg
  • seanoconn
    Ballysmate wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:

[Rlx1500s.JPG

Not practical for some of us.

stock-photo-spain-tarragona-ancient-sundial-on-a-stone-platform-21459691.jpg
    That would wreak havoc on your wrist :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    diamonddog wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

I taught scuba diving for many years and always wore a watch as back up to the dive computer, dived up to four times a day when needed so they really got used.

My Dad has times the start of a few races with his seamaster when we ve lost the proper stop watch a few times...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I have a few

Tag F1 Chrono (Never wear anymore)
    Rolex GMT Pepsi 16700 - Given to me by my father on my 21st Birthday. He bought it new when he retired in 1999. Very special to me as he passed away last December
    Omega Speedmaster Automatic
    Tudor Blackbay Black

Next purchase will be a IWC Pilot Chrono I think.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    I went through a "watch phase" -
    Rolex Submariner
    Bell & Ross 126 Vintage
    Seiko Bellmatic
    Rolex Dress Watch
    Chronoswiss
    But they all now just sit in a safe, dont really wear any apart from Ive just bought myself a Garmin Fenix after my last GPS computer died. Im really over the whole watch thing, would sell them if I could be assed, the point of the post is what I really want is my dads watch
    He was presented a Gold Rolex Day Date by the Sultan of Oman for some "work" he did in the Dhofar counterinsurgency in the 70s. Its a bit like this: 8Ce327D.jpg
    Hes still got the box and the certificate, its, of course, very valuable as I think ten were made.It was always to be my heirloom but, hes eighty and still going very strong, so I suspect it will actually be handed directly on to my son, who is now nine and currently wants nothing more than a Mickey Mouse watch.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....