Rio BMX and MTB **spoilers**

Comments

• Skateboarding and BMX would be/are good additions to the Olympics. Surfing would only work if you have a country hosting that has guaranteed surfable waves. Be good to see in the Olympics. One relatively new sport that would fit seamlessly into the Olympics would be Stand-Up Paddle Board Racing. It is a cross between kayaking and surfing and would definitely be spectator-friendly. (I am a little biased with regard to this sport as I do a little myself. Highly-recommended.:D) Given that there is a long-distance open water swimming event, a SUP race would also be a good event at the 10Km or 20Km distance.

DD.

Am I right in thinking the skateboarding is a series of tricks on a half pipe or something with judges scoring it ? I wouldn't object to that on the grounds it seems to have a following especially amongst non-traditional sports fans. There is no such thing as skateboard racing is there - or is there ?

Yes, there is downhill skateboard racing. General uses winding mountain roads, think the snowboardcross from the winter games but without the jumps.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Also in hindsight, I think that Rissveds made the right bike choice by taking on a 27.5 FS.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Here we go. Men's MTB starting now.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Sagan starts at the back but gets right up the front almost immediately.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    3rd at the moment
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    sagan into third is insane!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    How far is this? And does anyone have a profile? I'm intrigued how many metres of climbing they'll actually do, I missed what the commentator said.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    itll be about an hour and a half...
    - @ddraver
  • Love the course and shouting for Petr !
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Now a flat - bollox.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • ddraver
    puncture for Sagan....

what the flip have PFP and Absalon been doing to each other???
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:

Yes but how many kms do they race? I can't find details anywhere.
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:

It's six laps I think - plus a bit at the end.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    That's a damn shame that, it's like a GC going down.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    ddraver wrote:

They were laughing at road racers being fixated on distance yesterday. Apparently they adjust the number of laps based on conditions to produce a race for 1 hour 30 mins. Therefore difficult conditions means less distance.
  • above_the_cows
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

They were laughing at road racers being fixated on distance yesterday. Apparently they adjust the number of laps based on conditions to produce a race for 1 hour 30 mins. Therefore difficult conditions means less distance.

Thanks. That seems a bit weird. No wonder I can't find the details anywhere. The Olympic site is useless. They don't even tell you this, or how long a lap is.

Ouch from the Dutchy.
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2016
    Sagan about two minutes down in 28th
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Surley there should be a bloke on a derny with some spares. There are loads of flats what a joke.
  • ddraver
    mountain biking in not being road cycling shock!!!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    After lap 2:

Sagan 23rd +2.12
    Ferguson 13th +1.42
  • ddraver
    this is a great ride by Kulhavy

...standard by Schurter
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    bullcr*p is Absalon getting back on...
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    I love surfing and regularly watch the WT events, which are streamed free.
    But an Olympic sport? That's a bit of a joke, given that only four of the top 40 surfers don't come from the US, Brazil or Aus.
    The issue of decent waves is also there, with most of the Northern hemisphere having little worth surfing in the summer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    ddraver wrote:
    bullcr*p is Absalon getting back on...

I think he's exploded... not enough sleep recently, apparently.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    short sharp climb to the finish likely favours Schurter
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Thanks. That seems a bit weird. No wonder I can't find the details anywhere. The Olympic site is useless. They don't even tell you this, or how long a lap is.

Ouch from the Dutchy.

It does make sense given the steep gradients and conditions, but the metres of vertical climbing per lap would be interesting.

I used to ride on a ridge so I would measure the hardness by the number of times I climbed the ridge. 1. Easy 2. Average 3. Hard.... and to think people worry about watts and stuff now.
  • ddraver
    who is the south african dude on BBC??
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    I love surfing and regularly watch the WT events, which are streamed free.
    But an Olympic sport? That's a bit of a joke, given that only four of the top 40 surfers don't come from the US, Brazil or Aus.
    The issue of decent waves is also there, with most of the Northern hemisphere having little worth surfing in the summer.

Nah you just burden the host country with having to spend millions building some sort of state of the art wave machine / artificial ridge. There is a sporting chance though that it might at least be used afterwards.
  • above_the_cows
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Ouch from the Dutchy.

It does make sense given the steep gradients and conditions, but the metres of vertical climbing per lap would be interesting.

I used to ride on a ridge so I would measure the hardness by the number of times I climbed the ridge. 1. Easy 2. Average 3. Hard.... and to think people worry about watts and stuff now.

Yes all I'm after is some info on the course. How long is it? How long is a lap? Which I don't think I want to know only because I like road cycling, I would imagine any layman would like to know how long the race was otherwise it doesn't really make sense to me. How steep are the gradients, how many metres do they climb over the course of the race? That sort of thing otherwise it's hard to really get a sense of what they're doing.