Rio BMX and MTB **spoilers**

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    Garry H wrote:
    Why do they even have what basically amounts to a child's sport in the Olympics. They should ditch it in favour of more track events.

You're going to LOVE skateboarding in the Tokyo Games then

Give me skate boarding, surfing and BMXing over football, golf and tennis any day. They could at least make the football 5 side.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Why do they even have what basically amounts to a child's sport in the Olympics. They should ditch it in favour of more track events.

Give me skate boarding, surfing and BMXing over football, golf and tennis any day. They could at least make the football 5 side.

Like it - bin Football, bring in Futsal
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross wrote:
    I'd rather see Downhill in than BMX but I guess it's just personal choice. To me BMX always seems to have an over-reliance on luck, it's a bit like short track speed skating in that there's a high likelihood of the favourites taking each other out and someone who was lagging miles behind winning.

Problem with having DH in would be when the Olympics is in places like London it would be a ridiculously short track unless they wanted to put a lot of travel in...

I think enduro would be good as you can still put together decent courses with shorter descents and it is fairly popular as a participation format (when I look back at a lot of the MTB me and my friends used to do it was basically enduro)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Erm, you just relocate it. Sailing wasn't in London, MTB XC wasn't in London, rowing wasn't in London...........
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bobmcstuff
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Like it - bin Football, bring in Futsal

The Rugby 7s has been great this time round. I don't think having 5 a side would be that bad - least it could be a proper Olympic sport rather than a half arsed version of the World Cup where they deliberately hobble the competition.
  • bobmcstuff
    Erm, you just relocate it. Sailing wasn't in London, MTB XC wasn't in London, rowing wasn't in London...........

Weymouth is the only one which was actually any distance from London. Essex and Windsor are basically London as far as I'm concerned.

For the DH you'd have to put it in Scotland or possibly Wales to get a real world class track.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Oh no Futsal is dire as a spectator sport - I wouldn't mind binning mens football because the Olympics is an irrelevance but the womens game should be in there because it is a big participation sport that deserves more coverage and has huge potential to get females involved in actually playing sport all over the world.

BMX is largely a kids sport but then so is gymnastics - the strength of BMX is it has a wide appeal to kids who might not take part in other sports. There are kids who do BMX who just would not fit in with the atmosphere of a GoRide track session plus it's a good entry sport to other cycling disciplines like DH, MTB and even track and road. That said I would prefer to see DH in than BMX but I can't see why it should be either or when we have crap (in terms of who actually does them other than to get a cheap GB vest) like modern pentathlon or race walking in the Olympics.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • lostboysaint
    Yes, and.......

And Windsor and Hadleigh most definitely aren't London.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • TheBigBean
    Here's a basic test: if the sport is on Eurosport then it should be in the Olympics, if it is on Sky then it shouldn't.

Eurosport's coverage of tennis is the exception that proves the law.
  • bobmcstuff
    Yes, and.......

And Windsor and Hadleigh most definitely aren't London.

They're both just outside the M25 (Hadleigh slightly further).

To me they're in that vague nebulous Home Counties cloud where all I know is that it's near London.

Slightly different scale compared to putting the DH at Fort William isn't it.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I see XC MTB and think "why was this picked over downhill?"

I see BMX and think "we lost the Kilo for THIS?"

All that aside - best wishes to all Team GB riders. BMX is a complete lottery at times (makes Keirin look like the TP) but with Phillips we have a genuine BMX heavyweight.

As for Sagan. I wish him well but it would be a complete humiliation for the field if he gets a medal.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Daz555 wrote:

All that aside - best wishes to all Team GB riders. BMX is a complete lottery at times (makes Keirin look like the TP) but with Phillips we have a genuine BMX heavyweight.

As for Sagan. I wish him well but it would be a complete humiliation for the field if he gets a medal.

I don't see how? He was a junior world champ and is known for his skills. If anything it would help the crossover in interest.
  • Daz555
    FocusZing wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

I don't see how? He was a junior world champ and is known for his skills. If anything it would help the crossover in interest.
    Former junior world champ but now a pro road racer with entire road season in his legs rocks up with little to no top level racing experience for almost seven years and wins a medal amongst a world class XC MTB field.

Yep. I'll stick with "humiliating" if it happens to them.

It might be good for the sport in terms of exposure but I made no comment in relation to that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    My big issue is that cycling has to drop one discipline to make room for another whilst swimming appears to have a virtually limitless programme. If one athlete can win 6 or 7 medals in a single Olympics then the sport has too many similar events. I know we always have this discussion but no event should be there if the Olympics is not the pinnacle of that sport (I would include the cycling road race in that), it should also be a sport with global participation. However, I try to avoid saying a sport should be removed because I don't like or understand it.
  • TheBigBean
    Like squash?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    I really can't understand why squash isn't an Olympic sport, it ticks all the boxes.

I actually enjoyed the golf more than I thought I would and it was good that the winner was passionate about it being an Olympic sport again but how it got in ahead of squash is a mystery. Given the attitude taken to it by many of the top players I'm not sure how long it will survive.
  • TheBigBean
    Even baseball got in ahead of squash.
  • Daz555
    Pross wrote:
    My big issue is that cycling has to drop one discipline to make room for another whilst swimming appears to have a virtually limitless programme. If one athlete can win 6 or 7 medals in a single Olympics then the sport has too many similar events. I know we always have this discussion but no event should be there if the Olympics is not the pinnacle of that sport (I would include the cycling road race in that), it should also be a sport with global participation. However, I try to avoid saying a sport should be removed because I don't like or understand it.
    This x 10.

Makes no sense for the track programme which is, like swimming, contained in one building with relatively small numbers of attending fans to be so constrained with its events. As a minimum I'd add the IP and the fabulous Kilo back into the programme:

Individual Sprint
    Team Sprint
    Individual Pursuit
    Team Pursuit
    Kilo
    Keirin
    Omnium

Would be great to have the full WC programme (adding Points and Scratch as well) but I doubt that will ever happen but can we PLEASE have Kilo and IP back PLEASE!!!!!
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Daz555 wrote:

Is there any sensible reason why DH isn't in the Olympic cycling programme? I understand XC being in, even if it can be slightly uninteresting; and is the poor relation compared to DH - Which is quite often spectacular!

I'd love to see CX in the Winters, but do enough countries participate? Probably not.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Daz555 wrote:

The problem lies more with the Olympic XC courses. Hadleigh and Rio look pretty crap compared to some of the more technical courses on the World Cup circuit this year, which aren't really that far off Enduro-level technicality.
  • TheBigBean
    What's the difference between enduro and cross country?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    AndyRAC wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

Is there any sensible reason why DH isn't in the Olympic cycling programme? I understand XC being in, even if it can be slightly uninteresting; and is the poor relation compared to DH

Because if you look outside of the very narrow world of British Mountain Biking, XC is very popular
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Good Question Bean!

Enduro is timed sections, mostly downhill with an overall time limit on completing the course so although the uphills are not raced, you can't dilly dally either. Imagine a race at a trail centre basically and you re there.

It's complicated becasue it can also be Enduro DH which is essentially a long DH race (1hr or so), such as the Megavalanche.

It has been complicated yet further by bike manufacturers calling anything between a full on XC race bike and a full on DH race bike an "Enduro Bike"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    Thanks and cross country? Is that uphill and downhill and not a TT?
  • AndyRAC wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

Is there any sensible reason why DH isn't in the Olympic cycling programme? I understand XC being in, even if it can be slightly uninteresting; and is the poor relation compared to DH - Which is quite often spectacular!

I'd love to see CX in the Winters, but do enough countries participate? Probably not.....

CX is a no-go for the Winter Lympix cos the criteria for a sport to be eligible is that it's played on snow or ice
  • TheBigBean
    I used to mountain bike on snow...
  • TheBigBean
    All this talk is making me quite sad that my mountain bike sits in a cupboard at work and never sees the light of day.
  • lostboysaint
    Take it out and ride it then!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • TheBigBean
    Take it out and ride it then!

If only it was that easy!

Edit - Basically I should - you are right. The hills of central London (e.g. Southwark bridge) don't really cut it though, and I'm slightly concerned I'm no longer fit enough or courageous enough (i.e. too old) to play in my old stomping ground even if I had time to go there.
  • TheBigBean
    BMX has started