Rio BMX and MTB **spoilers**

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    That and the 'checking for oil' move.

Do the refs check the fighters before the bout to make sure they haven't greased up? Happens in MMA too after someone called shenanigans. Possibly an opponent of GSP, though could have been anyone really - was years ago and my memory of anything older than three years is clouded by drink.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    No not that one, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3t05wTwYao
  • Anyone else thinking that an olympic sport maybe shouldn't include quite so many broken bones?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Anyone else thinking that an olympic sport maybe shouldn't include quite so many broken bones?
    How many broken collarbone and vertebrae were there in the road race again...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Interesting hearing Phillips being interviewed on 5 Live earlier. He was asked if he had considered switching to track where there's less risk of crashing. He said he' tried it and didn't enjoy it as much. More interestingly he said he had a good team around him whereas the track squad is less harmonious!
  • Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I'm struggling with the Tae Kwon Do I have to admit. It seems very different to what is taught in local classes. For a combat sport I'd prefer kick boxing instead.
    Kicking people in the head is what girls from Rhyl do anyway. I'm not sure we should encourage them with medals.

It's a step up though as in this case the opponent isn't lying paralytic in a pool of their own vomit and there's no hair pulling.

If any vacancies come up, working for the Wales tourist board, could you pair do me a favour and not apply.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Pross wrote:
    Interesting hearing Phillips being interviewed on 5 Live earlier. He was asked if he had considered switching to track where there's less risk of crashing. He said he' tried it and didn't enjoy it as much. More interestingly he said he had a good team around him whereas the track squad is less harmonious!

Grant, Marcus and co on the BMX side of things are a very solid unit.

I know that when there were issues around Tre and his appearance at the BMX World's, the coaches had to fight off issues from above. It's certainly a more enjoyable environment, not because of the nature of the sport so much, but just because there's less tiers managing it versus the track.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Pross
    North Wales doesn't count. My choir was robbed at the Eisteddfod by the Gogg brotherhood ;)
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    PuttyKnees wrote:

Ah yes. Or what rugby leaguers understand as an eye gouge.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535
    Women's mountain bike race is on.
  • TheBigBean
    Lap 1 of 6 completed. Not much in the way of overtaking.
  • Pross
    Wrong one!
  • TheBigBean
    3 laps to go. Think there is a leading trio.

Another sport is calling though so I'll miss the end.
  • TheBigBean
    3 becomes 2 as they head up the alp
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Any chance Pendrel could catch the front two riders here? Only 1 1/2 laps to go and 29" gap
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm really looking forward to seeing howSagan rides on this course (and I'm not especially a fan)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Looking good for gold - SWE and Jenny Rissveds
  • PuttyKnees
    Having seen the size of the start loop, I reckon Sagan can make a lot of places before they head into the main course, but I can't see him doing anything but suffer on that climb. Anyway, Schurter has this.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    giphy.gif
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    CqVX3LBWAAAO8ES.jpg:large

Really want Sagan to have a good run at this tomorrow.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I'd like to see him give it a good crack as well. I know nothing at all about MBX, so I've no idea what his chances are, aside from knowing that starting from the back isn't exactly a help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    FocusZing wrote:
    giphy.gif

I'm not convinved Vittorio Brumotti is all that impressed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM0oQIRIyrs
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I was on a cliff in cornwall so missed it live but thats a super surprising result so Sagan could be on to something here....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I'm struggling with the Tae Kwon Do I have to admit. It seems very different to what is taught in local classes. For a combat sport I'd prefer kick boxing instead.

I agree.
    The women's semi-final seemed to be essentially 2 women picking fluff off each other's socks for 10 minutes with squealing whenever they thought they'd got a bit...
    Watched a full Tae Kwon Do bout for the first time ever, 2 in fact. Is this even a sport? From a casual viewers perspective, both the mens and womens heavyweight fight each turned out to be 3 rounds where the competitors try to prod their opponents using their toes. Whilst I don't find a 'sport' like synchronised swimming very enthralling, I can and do admire the skill, effort and commitment of the swimmers to reach the top level. All of the Tae Kwon Do fighters I watched compete didn't look as they had broken sweat by the end of their fight and it all left me bored, with no real appreciation of the competitors efforts. I won't be in a hurry to watch too much more - 4 years will be sufficient.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Why do they even have what basically amounts to a child's sport in the Olympics. They should ditch it in favour of more track events.

You're going to LOVE skateboarding in the Tokyo Games then

Give me skate boarding, surfing and BMXing over football, golf and tennis any day. They could at least make the football 5 side.

Skateboarding and BMX would be/are good additions to the Olympics. Surfing would only work if you have a country hosting that has guaranteed surfable waves. Be good to see in the Olympics. One relatively new sport that would fit seamlessly into the Olympics would be Stand-Up Paddle Board Racing. It is a cross between kayaking and surfing and would definitely be spectator-friendly. (I am a little biased with regard to this sport as I do a little myself. Highly-recommended.:D) Given that there is a long-distance open water swimming event, a SUP race would also be a good event at the 10Km or 20Km distance.

DD.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Watched a full Tae Kwon Do bout for the first time ever, 2 in fact. Is this even a sport? From a casual viewers perspective, both the mens and womens heavyweight fight each turned out to be 3 rounds where the competitors try to prod their opponents using their toes. Whilst I don't find a 'sport' like synchronised swimming very enthralling, I can and do admire the skill, effort and commitment of the swimmers to reach the top level. All of the Tae Kwon Do fighters I watched compete didn't look as they had broken sweat by the end of their fight and it all left me bored, with no real appreciation of the competitors efforts. I won't be in a hurry to watch too much more - 4 years will be sufficient.

Some have been like that - some have been more exciting. Did you see Jade Jones' final - that was a good fight with plenty of action as was the last round of the semi final the British guy Muhamed (not sure how he spells it) was in. It's not my favourite sport but having watched a few it has grown on me - I'd rather watch it than triathlon, the time trial or any swimming event. The other thing is the favourites have generally come through and done well so it isn't a lottery even if at times what appears to be a valid strike doesn't register.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Skateboarding and BMX would be/are good additions to the Olympics. Surfing would only work if you have a country hosting that has guaranteed surfable waves. Be good to see in the Olympics. One relatively new sport that would fit seamlessly into the Olympics would be Stand-Up Paddle Board Racing. It is a cross between kayaking and surfing and would definitely be spectator-friendly. (I am a little biased with regard to this sport as I do a little myself. Highly-recommended.:D) Given that there is a long-distance open water swimming event, a SUP race would also be a good event at the 10Km or 20Km distance.

DD.

Am I right in thinking the skateboarding is a series of tricks on a half pipe or something with judges scoring it ? I wouldn't object to that on the grounds it seems to have a following especially amongst non-traditional sports fans. There is no such thing as skateboard racing is there - or is there ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Why do they even have what basically amounts to a child's sport in the Olympics. They should ditch it in favour of more track events.

You're going to LOVE skateboarding in the Tokyo Games then

Give me skate boarding, surfing and BMXing over football, golf and tennis any day. They could at least make the football 5 side.

DD.

Agree on SUP, a mate of mine wins age group races much to the annoyance of sponsored riders as he uses a board he built himself! It feels more like an Olympic sport than surfing and wouldn't need a special venue.

Tae Kwon Do comes across as very negative with people aiming to not lose rather than trying to win. It sometimes comes alive in the final round when someone realises they need to bring out all the tricks to win, the rest of the time it looks like Morris dancing without the bells and sticks.
  • PuttyKnees
    ddraver wrote:
    I was on a cliff in cornwall so missed it live but thats a super surprising result so Sagan could be on to something here....

Rissveds hasn't come out of nowhere, with multiple podiums at world cups and a strong pedigree as u23 champion. The polish rider should have been 2nd at the champs as well, but for a mechanical. The biggest surprise was Neff, but she seems to bottle the big occasions, this course wasn't entirely suited to her, and she has back problems. Great to see Pendrel get third.