Rio Olympic Track events *Spoilers*

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Andrew Hood ‏@EuroHoody · 6h6 hours ago

Wiggins confirms he'll retire at Six Days of Gent
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Some insight into the real Sir Brad

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... l-olympian
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    The thing is, Clancy wouldn't earn more going to a bigger team.

He's on £40k a year at JLT and he gets bonuses for Skoda and other sponsorship commitments. Plus his A lottery funding, he's not exactly on a bad liveable wage. I'm certain he's quite happy with that.

All the talk of him moving properly to the road is nonsense. He's gone one last Olympic cycle in him and that's what you're going to get.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    NervexProf wrote:

From the article:
    They roomed together at the Team GB pre-Games holding camp in Newport, south Wales, with Wiggins posting a photo on Instagram of Cavendish playing with his Lego on their room floor – “ahh bless him!” Yet the Manxman was a notable absence in the Rio velodrome night.
    Cavendish was listed as the spare GB TP rider and if it is correct he was absent from the velodrome last night, GB management rolled the dice, had a gamble and got away with it.

Its a novel approach given the significant financial, time and emotional investment by the many parties involved. Why spend a fortune investing in 'marginal gains' if the basics are completely overlooked e.g. go to plan B if a rider is injured or falls ill shortly before the race.
  • Sweet Jesus and the baby orphans, what a night's racing

Me nerves me nerves, only calmed down by frequent intakes of booze
  • JSCL wrote:
    The thing is, Clancy wouldn't earn more going to a bigger team.

He's on £40k a year at JLT and he gets bonuses for Skoda and other sponsorship commitments. Plus his A lottery funding, he's not exactly on a bad liveable wage. I'm certain he's quite happy with that.

All the talk of him moving properly to the road is nonsense. He's gone one last Olympic cycle in him and that's what you're going to get.

This.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    NervexProf wrote:

From the article:
    They roomed together at the Team GB pre-Games holding camp in Newport, south Wales, with Wiggins posting a photo on Instagram of Cavendish playing with his Lego on their room floor – “ahh bless him!” Yet the Manxman was a notable absence in the Rio velodrome night.
    Cavendish was listed as the spare GB TP rider and if it is correct he was absent from the velodrome last night, GB management rolled the dice, had a gamble and got away with it.

Its a novel approach given the significant financial, time and emotional investment by the many parties involved. Why spend a fortune investing in 'marginal gains' if the basics are completely overlooked e.g. go to plan B if a rider is injured or falls ill shortly before the race.

Sounds like you are creating a problem that isnt there. Injured or sick rider would just have to get on with it. They would get silver anyway as a minimum.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Well, that was immense.

Really hoping Becky James puts something good together tonight.

And just a quick note, Brad may be most decorated GB OL athlete ever, but Kenny has 2 events left this Olympics and has 4 golds and a silver in his bag already. He could potentially equal Hoy's 6 golds + 1 silver in Rio and at 28 has at least one and quite feasibly two Olympics left (Hoy was 36 in London). I wouldn't bet against him setting a medal record that will stand for a very long time, though Callum Skinner may have other plans.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    smithy21 wrote:
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    NervexProf wrote:

From the article:

Sounds like you are creating a problem that isnt there. Injured or sick rider would just have to get on with it. They would get silver anyway as a minimum.
    Not really though I can see why you may think that it is being overly cautious. This forum would be in meltdown if a pre-race illness or injury occurred and the TP team went to the start line with only 3 riders, knowing Cav had been left back at the hotel room. It would be highly unlikely there would be a medal race of any colour in such circumstances.

Whilst I agree the risk of injury or illness is likely to be low, if 'marginal gains' is all about putting the team into the best position to win, not having the spare rider available in the event of something going wrong pre-race, isn't doing the right thing and an unnecessary risk. It's neither right nor wrong but is in only my opinion of course :P .

Fortunately all went well for both countries and neither team left anything out on the track. The fans were treated to one of the best ever TP finals.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Well not having your spare rider with you, changed and warmed up, is obviously a risk. But it's also a risk to Cav's omnium chances to get him down to the track and warmed up when he should be sitting with his feet up and saving energy.

As they pointed out, team changes need to be made an hour before the event and Cav was only a few minutes away. In a real emergency he could have got there.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Cavendish is not a proper team pursuit guy, him being in there would have been a liability and cost them, anyone knows this. Plus, who cares, they didn't need him, they knew no one was sick and that naff all teams crash in the team pursuit and gather injuries let alone GB.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    mfin wrote:
    naff all teams crash in the team pursuit and gather injuries let alone GB.

There was a close moment in GB's TP yesterday, but luckily Doull was alert. It does happen in TP, just not as much as the bunch races.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Becky takes her first heat with a little souplesse :-)
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I cant believe people are talking about Clancy riding for GC! As others have mentioned, he could match Hoy in the kilo and falls between pure track sprinter and track enduro.
    Some people...
  • Becky takes her first heat with a little souplesse :-)

I only just got back in time to catch it. :oops: :D
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    morstar wrote:
    In Clancy's position, would you???
    Want to have a domestic road contract that pays a modest salary but doesn't clash with your extremely successful track career or, pursue a modestly successful road career at a middling level which still only pays a modest salary but most likely clashes with your extremely successful track career?
    From comments post race, seems the GB docs are patching his back up to keep him together. Most likely they are dictating his race calendar too.

5-6 years ago if I thought I could have a decent career on the ProTour yes, no comparison in terms of money. Depends on what the experts thought my prospects were .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Kenny and Skinner on a trispoke front today - more aero than a 5 spoke, but usually not stiff enough for track racing - guess it must be some new design
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Cpvy9cAWcAAgIPI.jpg

"Laurine van Riessen rides up the vertical hoarding at the track side to avoid a crash during the women's keirin in the Rio Olympics"

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/cycling- ... ium=Social
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Amazing save. Womens TP final is shaping up to be a cracker

wOg3GjLZNi6BVHlh69Jbkxa_sIRoRrXcDTYLnJeOlMc.jpg?w=1024&s=522c80d34bb90de7208fa9ac21b63e38
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Becky takes her first heat with a little souplesse :-)

I only just got back in time to catch it. :oops: :D

Tell her to ride slower to make sure you catch the end.

No, wait...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Just watching the morning session back now, currently got iplayer on the laptop and and then live track on the TV... There's just too much Olympics!
  • bobmcstuff
    The WR trading between USA and GB in the woman's TP was pretty entertaining.
  • mfin
    Article with Cavendish commenting on his chances and some Wiggins comments...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/13/mark-cavendish-last-chance-rio-olympics-omnium

(Oh, and fingers crossed he fails again just for the smile factor).
  • FocusZing
    He looked like he was in good form with his four TDF stage wins. I have a feeling he will ride away with a gold for his country.
  • mfin
    Kenny comfortable there in the quarter, didn't have to turn himself inside out.
  • FocusZing
    Yes made it look very easy.
  • FocusZing
    Skinner looks a winner.
  • mfin
    Same with Skinner. Nice.
  • FocusZing wrote:
    He looked like he was in good form with his four TDF stage wins. I have a feeling he will ride away with a gold for his country.

I don't - omnium is ridiculously hard to call at the best of times, and he'll be a marked man. On the other hand, Cavendish is happily constructing the sort of funk that usually precedes his best results, so...
  • bobmcstuff
    Dimitryev and Bauge's heat was good to watch. They look fairly even.