Rio Olympic Track events *Spoilers*

Comments

• Well that's a medal I wasn't expecting! New Zealand had too many big gaps between riders.
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Outstanding!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    That was great. Watched it in the pub we usually watch rugby at. Lots of people shouting at the screen!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    There for the 7s?

Hopefully they were watching the cycling!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    That was brilliant, outstanding.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    ddraver wrote:
    There for the 7s?

We were all watching the cycling - it was great!

I think much easier/better for the layperson than the road events.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    CpnGvx7XEAMUQQ7.jpg

grid-cell-6807-1470952876-8.jpg

Great result and a brilliant start to the track.
  • That were reet good

Super performances all round
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    There for the 7s?

We were all watching the cycling - it was great!

I think much easier/better for the layperson than the road events.

(well i flipping hope the cyclists arent watching the 7s...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I'm fairly sure I nicked the sine-wave profile joke from 4 years ago....

genuine question - if they ride around the innermost blue line is the profile pan flat?

/killjoy
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Favourite bit of commentary last night was from Sir Chris of Thighs:

"People who just watch track cycling every four years will have switched on, seen us win gold and thought 'business as usual' ..........."

:)

He went on to make a very good point about how (relatively) poor our team sprint has been at world level since 2012 - but it didn't matter, he'd already nailed the viewing public!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • genuine question - if they ride around the innermost blue line is the profile pan flat?

Yes it is flat, it's also painted so you have no grip, trying to ride on it for an extended period would likely end up in a crash!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Thanks

another stupid question for you - why go all out and qualify 5 seconds faster than anyone else (breaking the WR in the process). wouldn't it be better to do just enough and save something back for the final?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    How do you know what's "just enough" unless you're the last up?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Crozza wrote:
    Thanks

another stupid question for you - why go all out and qualify 5 seconds faster than anyone else (breaking the WR in the process). wouldn't it be better to do just enough and save something back for the final?
    There's a semi-final to negotiate first and the best qualifier races against the fourth fastest, so the easier draw may allow them to win more comfortably on a day when they have to race twice. Both strategies have their merits.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Crozza wrote:

Lots of little reasons:

- Psychology over the other teams. The other teams will know what their best time in training, etc. Beating that time changes the way others will race against you e.g. save energy against a team they cannot beat so they can go for it in the Bronze medal ride.
    - Training. Each track is different so a near 100% effort in a race situation is great practice(especially the changes) for when they will be on the limit in the S/F or Final
    - Motivation & confidence of the whole track team. They will know how well each team has been going in training so seeing them doing it in the event will give them confidence for their event. The team sprint winning Gold will be huge for confidence for the rest of the team
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    RichN95 wrote:
    Crozza wrote:
    Thanks

There's a semi-final to negotiate first and the best qualifier races against the fourth fastest, so the easier draw may allow them to win more comfortably on a day when they have to race twice. Both strategies have their merits.

Makes sense - and explains my earlier assumption that the 2 fastest from the '1st round' (effectively the semis) was incorrect - the top 4 quickest from qualifiers (as explained by Boardman on 'telly last night) are the ones who can race for the medals, with the winners from 1v4 and 2v3 racing out for Gold & Silver.

Still think (although it could be muddled memory) there used to be a bigger gap for the mens TP between the round and the final - maybe when they had morning/ evening sessions.

3:54 warm-up to make sure of the win and into the final for a sub 3:50?.....
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Martyn Irvine ‏@Martyn_Irvine · 2m2 minutes ago

Having a look at the track bikes in Rio. This looks like the most even playing field ever equipment wise. Turns out it’s not about the bike.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Martyn Irvine ‏@Martyn_Irvine · 2m2 minutes ago

Having a look at the track bikes in Rio. This looks like the most even playing field ever equipment wise. Turns out it’s not about the bike.

It's all about the magic skin suits this time. That and a bit of psychological warfare.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    rounder wheels ;-)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    genuine question - if they ride around the innermost blue line is the profile pan flat?

Yes it is flat, it's also painted so you have no grip, trying to ride on it for an extended period would likely end up in a crash!

I've ridden the Manchester Velodrome many times and the coaches have us doing pace lines on the upper blue line - its not slippy. It'd be a bit of a design flaw to have slippy bits on the track....
  • cygnet
    cygnet Posts: 92
    I think Crozza means the cote d'azur not the 'stayers' line
    Not all the team on Cervelos, Hindes and Barker (two very different types of athlete) still on UKSI bikes. Personal preference/stiffness for Hindes?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Hoy said stiffness for Hindes.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Team sprint is such a weird event to have at the Olympics. Not that exciting (not direct racing), over in a flash and really favours the big spending nations. There's so many more egalitarian events that could be included.
  • Team sprint is such a weird event to have at the Olympics. Not that exciting (not direct racing), over in a flash and really favours the big spending nations. There's so many more egalitarian events that could be included.

A nice sportive perhaps?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Team sprint is such a weird event to have at the Olympics. Not that exciting (not direct racing), over in a flash and really favours the big spending nations. There's so many more egalitarian events that could be included.

A nice sportive perhaps?

Too dangerous on the track I'd have thought.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Maybe a 1k time trial on a Qhebeka bike loaded with a 100kg of crops. Or a rickshaw race.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979

A nice sportive perhaps?

GB would be guaranteed another gold.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    CpqPHd8W8AA6vWz.jpg