Rio Olympic Track events *Spoilers*

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537
    Pross wrote:
    They do have some leaner years but that is often where the previous generation have retired and new blood is getting introduced. The system is actually quite good as the young riders tend to get introduced at lower level competition such as Euros or World Cup and then progress to the Worlds before the Olympics so they are seasoned campaigners but reaching a peak at the Olympics. I think Olympic success also promotes sport in the UK more than anything else which is presumably why UK Sport use it as their benchmark.

I dislike a lot of this, and whilst I find it an interesting subject, the spoiler thread is probably not the best place for me to continue the discussion.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Not sure how Becky drew the current world champ instead of Krupeckaite.
    I thought it was on qualifying times.

In round 2 and the quarterfinals, both the British riders faced riders who qualified via repechage rather than directly so they do benefit from their own places in the qualifying. The repechage route appears to be pre-determined in that the victor from repechage x will face the victor from heat y irrespective of qualifying times.

Changing that simply overcomplicates matters. The whole purpose of repechage is to counter the fact that knockout formats aren't perfect anyway.
  • Sky viewers not wanting a repeat of coverage jumping channels, and having chunks of races lost: tonight's racing is on 477, BBC Olympic 6.

USA and their left hand drive bikes - Boardman (commentating today iirc)said that BC looked at the idea about 10 years ago and dismissed the idea. He said "there's marginal gains and marginal gains" then said something about the idea not having any value.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    What IS interesting about the bikes is the occasional use of the old GB secret squirrel bike - Hindes used it in the Team Sprint for example. This bike is pre-Beijing I think with some minor tinkering for London.

I wonder why? My guess for Hindes was stiffness - perhaps the Cervelo is too sloppy for his power. No idea what Elinor Barker's reason is for using the old bike though.

Any ideas?

Eleanor Barker uses one because of her pedalling action - apparently the uksi frame is more accommodating to her leg movement than the Cervelo.

I'd want to ride a uksi frame because they look so much nicer than Cervelos
  • Yes! 1-0
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Good ride by Becky there.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    So pootymouth Vogel how she explain from going cannon fodder to world beater in 1 day?
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Have enjoyed Chris hoy and Clare balding been really good
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Clare baldings very good. She learns about the different sports and genuinely seems interested. Hoy explains things well, boardmans always brilliant too.

I hope the same team that did the TDF on itv do the Vuelta.
  • dav1d1
    Laura trott 13.708 wow
  • Laura wins yet another event.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    Laura trott 13.708 wow

Three 1sts, two 2nds - absolute domination so far!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199
    Excellent. Go girl.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Wow, Laura stormed that. Excellent riding, hard to see her losing this omnium now.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • dav1d1
    She's 20 points ahead,
  • slim_boy_fat
    Trott is just immense. Surely she's got this in the bag.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited August 2016
    So easy!!!!!
    Party time in Aber coming up. :D
  • FocusZing
    Brilliant from Becky too.
  • jscl
    Becky, that was awesome.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So easy!!!!!
    Very dominant for that one. Sadly Paddy Power don't pay out again for a second medal.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • slim_boy_fat
    Becky even more dominant in the second race. She rides like that in the final and she has to win.
  • jscl
    Becky certainly has the fastest legs here. If it were for some better positioning in the kierin, she'd have had that Gold too.

Really impressive.
  • Vogel is deliberately riding outside the red line to cut drafting.
  • Kenny ridiculous.....but great.
  • dav1d1
    Kenny wins
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    This GB team are just destroying the field consistently. Kenny just rides off the front of the pack with a lap to go.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Very impressive from Kenny in the semi-final, he just rode away and won by bike lengths
  • FocusZing
    That was extraordinary.
  • jscl
    Why bother sticking shoulder to shoulder and save for the finish straight when you've got the legs to stay safe and go out front. Top ride.

It's going to be a good night for the Brits. Chris' predictions looking to be spot on I think. Three Gold's and a bronze?