Rio Olympic TT (M/F) *SPOILERS*

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    G finishes in 9th. That's bloody decent.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Where did Dan Craven finish?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Yup. Nicely done.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Great result for Spartacus!

Froome 0, Wiggins 1 (doing TDF/ Olympics double)

Froome 3, Wiggins 1, and being helped by Froome (TDF)

(Not knocking Wiggins, and Wiggins has a lot more Olympic medals than 1)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    mfin wrote:
    Most people love Cancellara, that's got to be about the most popular win that could have happened.
    He's a bit of a moaner for my taste but yeah what a rider. Don't know anyone who picked him to win gold here and a surprise is always welcome.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

We just had this debate in the office, I suggested that being a 3x TdF winner was maybe a little bit better than winning the Olympic time trial... Given our office isn't far from Wiggins' house I got stoned for this suggestion.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,534
    Well, that was a surprise.
  • mfin
    Daz555 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Most people love Cancellara, that's got to be about the most popular win that could have happened.
    He's a bit of a moaner for my taste but yeah what a rider. Don't know anyone who picked him to win gold here and a surprise is always welcome.

Yeah, plenty of people would welcome his win but it wasn't expected, that's what makes it a better one.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Wiggins has a few more medals that just the TT though.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,534
    Perhaps he'll be wondering about one more classics campaign.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    No knighthood for Froome then
  • Daz555
    Pleased for Canc but given he seemed past it in the TT in recent years - not able to live with Wiggo or Martin for example - was this win down to a huge step up in performance from him or down to the competition not performing?

Not that it makes much difference - well deserved win either way and special in his final season.
  • mfin
    bobmcstuff wrote:

We just had this debate in the office, I suggested that being a 3x TdF winner was maybe a little bit better than winning the Olympic time trial... Given our office isn't far from Wiggins' house I got stoned for this suggestion.

Wiggins 2009 TDF was more impressive than his TDF win when you look how it happened.

Anyway, good on Canc, and the two equal favourites getting the 10p and 2p medals.
  • Daz555
    mrfpb wrote:
    No knighthood for Froome then
    I think he will get one regardless but probably not in 2017 now.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Wiggins has a few more medals that just the TT though.

Riding round in circles doesn't count.

:wink:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Daz555
    Getting plenty of congrats on Twitter but I can't see Froome being pleased at all - 3rd was probably the worst he expected to finish.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Daz555 wrote:
    Pleased for Canc but given he seemed past it in the TT in recent years - not able to live with Wiggo or Martin for example - was this win down to a huge step up in performance from him or down to the competition not performing?

Not that it makes much difference - well deserved win either way and special in his final season.
    It must have helped that Froome was cooked from the Tour and Tom D had a broken wrist. Also wondering if Cancellara's superior bike handling helped
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    strong military presence for the medal ceremony
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Daz555 wrote:
    Getting plenty of congrats on Twitter but I can't see Froome being pleased at all - 3rd was probably the worst he expected to finish.

And he only got that because Dennis had a mechanical. Reckon he'll be disappointed. At least until prep for La Vuelta begins at which point he'll likely give few fucks, if any. He still just about has another Olympic cycle in him in any event.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • I don't follow pro tour races much at all, but I cannot help but wonder if it was a poor decision to have Froome take part in the individual road race and today's TT after winning the TdF.

Would it not have been better to have given his road race starting place to an up and coming GB road rider and let Froome focus on the event he had a real medal chance in?

Froome still got a medal today for GB today (which is great), but I can't help but wonder if its colour was determined by making him use precious energy the other day as well.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Would it not have been better to have given his road race starting place to an up and coming GB road rider and let Froome focus on the event he had a real medal chance in.

Anyone who wanted to start the TT had to ride the RR too. The only option would have been to do what Dumoulin did and pull from the RR after a couple of km.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Congratulations to Fabulous Candelabra, I don't think many people saw that coming.

G did fairly well too, in 9th.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Disappointed in Froome there, couldn't even beat Dumoulin with broken wrist or Cancellara who is retiring. Very poor show.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    hat tip to smithy21 for picking Cancellara on PTP (a late replacement for Porte)...
  • r0bh wrote:
    Would it not have been better to have given his road race starting place to an up and coming GB road rider and let Froome focus on the event he had a real medal chance in.

Anyone who wanted to start the TT had to ride the RR too. The only option would have been to do what Dumoulin did and pull from the RR after a couple of km.

Oh right, thanks for info.

So all track cyclists have to compete in each track cycling event? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    r0bh wrote:

Well nearly. That's why Cav is the 5th team pursuit member when his primary focus is the omnium.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Yup. Nicely done.

Good effort and gives the time in post race interviews.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    bobmcstuff wrote:

when the next UK tdf winner after Froome will be in 100 years they will learn to appreciate Froome more.

Not to speak about the fact that Wiggins won his only personal designed for him TdF only because the best GC rider in the race was his domestique.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    EnacheV wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

when the next UK tdf winner after Froome will be in 100 years they will learn to appreciate Froome more.

Don't forget Froome is doing the Vuelta too!
  • Daz555
    r0bh wrote:

Omnium and Keirin riders have to have one more event but the rest are standard.