• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Ou est Monsieur Boardman?

Family issue, I think.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    jam1e wrote:
    Porte now 20 seconds clear of his (not so) super-dom. Go Ritchey, the podium awaits!

Tres bien!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    any news on the grupetto?
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    adr82 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I have quite a high tolerance for watching cycling (apparently, judging by how I seem to be enjoying stages which other people have a good whinge about. There's a lot of very jaded cycling fans). But that stage was not exciting.
    I'm not saying it was either. I just don't see what the point is of going on about it in every spoiler thread. There are always likely to be more boring stages than exciting stages. Most people would rather hang on to a high GC placing than take a risk and blow up. It's exactly the same as seeing football teams playing defensively the further they get in a big tournament because they don't want to risk losing. Maybe some adjustment of expectations is in order.

Yep all fair. I think people use a lot of rose tinted glasses and compare every stage to the small number of exciting stages you get per tour per year that they remember.
  • bobmcstuff
    Reducing the team size would be better.
    Then more pro conti teams would get a ride, which would probably be good for them.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Did Teejay lose time on the way down? Thought I saw him on the last climb?
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Then more pro conti teams would get a ride, which would probably be good for them.

It would also reduce the dominance of the sprint teams and give more hope to the breaks. That said, I can imagine that the logistics of more team cars etc. wouldn't help.

Basically, what the race needs is a fit Contador.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    Or just have a smaller peloton.
  • bobmcstuff
    TheBigBean wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

It would also reduce the dominance of the sprint teams and give more hope to the breaks. That said, I can imagine that the logistics of more team cars etc. wouldn't help.

Basically, what the race needs is a fit Contador.

Or Froome to crash out or fall ill, not that I want that to happen (just more attacks please). Or for him to suffer a large freak time loss event.
  • bobmcstuff
    If you cut the team size to 7 you could cut the peloton size and have another pro conti team.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    pottssteve wrote:

Family issue, I think.

Merci
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Team sky turning this into a bore.

They're doing their jobs. It's up to the other riders to attack and make it interesting.

I'm going to lose my sh!t in a minute.

Literally need to say it every year.

JUST BECAUSE IT'S THE RIGHT TACTIC DOESN'T MEAN IT IS EXCITING.

Said it before the Tour - they're too strong to have a good spectacle.

Keep your sh!t. Defending is never usually exciting, no one is pretending otherwise. But you make it sound like Sky are somehow at fault for being good at defending, when in truth it's down to other teams' weakness or conservatism.

What do you want Sky to do differently?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • above_the_cows
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Did Teejay lose time on the way down? Thought I saw him on the last climb?

Dropped on the climb like he was dropped on the Arcalis.

Porte must be ruing that puncture on stage 2.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    Just wish there wasn't such a team imbalance.

Just strangles the race.

Sky have their cycling cum running shoes on the neck of the race and are squeezing hard enough to put it to sleep.
  • salsiccia1
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    If you cut the team size to 7 you could cut the peloton size and have another pro conti team.

And another 2-3 team cars, another team bus, and so on... :D
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

They're doing their jobs. It's up to the other riders to attack and make it interesting.

Keep your sh!t. Defending is never usually exciting, no one is pretending otherwise. But you make it sound like Sky are somehow at fault for being good at defending, when in truth it's down to other teams' weakness or conservatism.

It has nothing to do with the weakness or conservatism of opponents. It has everything to do with the way the sport has evolved in the scientific domain. Most riders in the peloton now ride to power, and modern riding tactics are influenced by greater scientific understanding. I think the sport has changed for the worse... and I do think that Sky contributed enormously to these developments - certainly with the investments they have made they have accelerated this. Unfortunately, stage racing has become quite clinical.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    emadden wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

It has nothing to do with the weakness or conservatism of opponents. It has everything to do with the way the sport has evolved in the scientific domain. Most riders in the peloton now ride to power, and modern riding tactics are influenced by greater scientific understanding. I think the sport has changed for the worse... and I do think that Sky contributed enormously to these developments - certainly with the investments they have made they have accelerated this. Unfortunately, stage racing has become quite clinical.

EDIT: To add: I do see a possible solution to this in reducing team size to, say, 5 riders. 9 riders is a big team when they are riding a pace line at a predefined (high) speed
    www.dotcycling.com
  • salsiccia1
    edited July 2016

Just strangles the race.

Sky have their cycling cum running shoes on the neck of the race and are squeezing hard enough to put it to sleep.

But look at the other teams:

Astana - Aru, Nibali, Fuglsang, Tiralongo, Kangaert, LL Sanchez

Movistar - Quintana, Valverde, Anacona, Izaguirre brothers

They're not weak teams, they just aren't challenging properly. That being said, there's a hell of a week coming and they could be waiting for that.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532

Just strangles the race.

Just like old USPS and the Disco boys! :D
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704

Start by getting rid of all the Dutch.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1

*and the crowd roared*
  • above_the_cows
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

*and the crowd roared*

Oi! :(

Can we at least have the BBQ Koning, Laurens?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    emadden wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Nah. It's nothing new. The Armstrong years and the Indurain years were boring too. It's dull when you have someone so dominant as Froome is now.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2016
    Today was always going to be boring by design GC-wise, you can't blame Sky for that, they're going to simple execute the best strategy for the day most of the time. It is a shame that both of the weekend's stages were lacking even the potential of spectacle, but that's the TDF for you, you get what you're given.

A mixture of rose-tinted glasses and looking back to a less modern approach can make it seem dull sometimes (especially if you miss the out and out attacks of the proper drugged up years). As others have said too, memory tends to look fondly on some previous TDFs when you can just think back to the exciting bits whilst you experience the reality of sitting in front of the TV for 5 hours to see nothing much happen.

Maijka looked just a little too burnt out at the end, pleased for Pantano to get the win.
  • salsiccia1
    ^^In fairness, the Indurain years were boring more because of the parcours being so time trial heavy, rather than because of his team.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    pottssteve wrote:

Family issue, I think.
    Turns out that it's really bad. His mother has been killed after being hit by a car riding her bike.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

Family issue, I think.
    Turns out that it's really bad. His mother has been killed after being hit by a car riding her bike.

Sheeeeeeeeeeet! :cry:
  • DeadCalm
    mfin wrote:
    Today was always going to be boring by design GC-wise, you can't blame Sky for that, they're going to simple execute the best strategy for the day most of the time. It is a shame that both of the weekend's stages were lacking even the potential of spectacle, but that's the TDF for you, you get what you're given.

A mixture of rose-tinted glasses and looking back to a less modern approach can make it seem dull sometimes (especially if you miss the out and out attacks of the proper drugged up years). As others have said too, memory tends to look fondly on some previous TDFs when you can just think back to the exciting bits whilst you experience the reality of sitting in front of the TV for 5 hours to see nothing much happen.

Maijka looked just a little too burnt out at the end, pleased for Pantano to get the win.
    I don't blame Sky for it. It is what it is. It's just that, when you have a team that is so dominant, it kills the excitement.
  • salsiccia1
    RichN95 wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

Family issue, I think.

Holy crap :cry:
  • DeadCalm
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

Family issue, I think.

Holy crap :cry:
    Very, very sad news indeed. Condolences to her family and friends.