Resistance training to supplement Cycling: Poll

13

Comments

  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    iPete wrote:
    Basically, if you have 6 hours a week to dedicate to exercise and your goals are bike related, spend 6 hours on the bike. It's probably better than 4 hours bike, 2 hours resistance..

    I do wonder though if that's totally wise ... Yes you will improve your cycling fitness more by doing that, but at what expense ... Cycling uses some pretty specific muscles and ligaments and if you spend 6 hours a week just training those, you are going to end up with an imbalance in your muscles .... the result will be back ache, knee ache, hunched shoulders etc etc ... initially you will be better on the bike but injury and lack of recovery will soon take its toll.

    Throw in simple stuff like squats, deadlifts, chin ups and suddenly you are working opposing muscles and giving your body a balanced posture and ability less prone to injury and aches

    So yes, resistance training probably wont improve your cycling per say ...... but its a foundation for keeping you body healthy and functioning as it should due to the stresses of cycling
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    FatTed wrote:
    I want to know why Danni King goes to the gym if it is so useless.

    To be fair FT, Danni King is a track cyclist. They do lots of resistance training for power. It's all about power and less about endurance.
    Pinno wrote:
    Have you used any of the following exercises to assist your training? ...

    I am not looking for answers from Track riders. Road, CX and MTB only.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    fat daddy wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    Basically... resistance..

    So yes, resistance training probably wont improve your cycling per say ...... but its a foundation for keeping you body healthy and functioning as it should due to the stresses of cycling

    This ^ +1.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited September 2016
    Pinno wrote:

    To be fair FT, Danni King is a track cyclist. They do lots of resistance training for power. It's all about power and less about endurance.

    Danni is a road/endurance cyclist who happens to have had a lot of success on the track in endurance disciplines. I wouldn't say she is a 'track' cyclist per se, although that is probably what the non-cycling general public knows her best for. I imagine she would focus on both power and endurance, especially as she has been riding on road teams like Wiggle for the last few year and is riding for Cylance on the road again next year..
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    fat daddy wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    Basically, if you have 6 hours a week to dedicate to exercise and your goals are bike related, spend 6 hours on the bike. It's probably better than 4 hours bike, 2 hours resistance..

    So yes, resistance training probably wont improve your cycling per say ...... but its a foundation for keeping you body healthy and functioning as it should due to the stresses of cycling

    Totally agree. It's also why my body is a mess but my cycling is going really well :lol:
    Going to start some simple home stretching/resistance soon. Won't be expecting any gains on the bike beyond comfort.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    Stretching is priceless iPete. The difference between what I used to do in a casual, non committed fashion in terms of stretching and what a I do now (slightly more committed) is being able to get back on the bike the following day from a decent run and feeling 90% rather than 60% (providing I eat and sleep well).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    Imposter wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

    To...endurance.
    Imposter wrote:
    ...Never mind, I'm out.
    Looks like you can't resist the resistance training thread - perhaps you need more resistance training :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If it helps you understand the topic better, then I'm happy to help...
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Imposter wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

    To be fair FT, Danni King is a track cyclist. They do lots of resistance training for power. It's all about power and less about endurance.

    Danni is a road/endurance cyclist who happens to have had a lot of success on the track in endurance disciplines. I wouldn't say she is a 'track' cyclist per se, although that is probably what the non-cycling general public knows her best for. I imagine she would focus on both power and endurance, especially as she has been riding on road teams like Wiggle for the last few year and is riding for Cylance on the road again next year..

    i and a family friend met Dani King on the formentor climb in spring 2015, where she was doing hill reps, 53 or 52 and 14 or 15t out back, big gear resistance training, now i m no slouch but am old but the guy i was riding with is a cracking junior and danni made us both look like beginner numpties and she was very nice to chat with as well.

    she has power and endurance in spades, no doubt works out in the gym too :lol:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    FatTed wrote:
    What about it? There's a tweet there saying she's been to the gym. Below it there's a tweet saying she's been doing motorpaced sprints on the road, and a bit further down, there's a tweet saying she's had her nails done.

    Dunno about you, but after reading that I've booked an appointment at my local nail bar this afternoon. I'll report back.
  • Bikeradar gold this thread.

    What colour did she have her nails done?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    Bikeradar gold this thread.

    Why, thank you.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Imposter wrote:
    FatTed wrote:
    What about it? There's a tweet there saying she's been to the gym. Below it there's a tweet saying she's been doing motorpaced sprints on the road, and a bit further down, there's a tweet saying she's had her nails done.

    Dunno about you, but after reading that I've booked an appointment at my local nail bar this afternoon. I'll report back.
    Come on where's the report. I hope you took some photos.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    Imposter wrote:
    FatTed wrote:
    What about it? There's a tweet there saying she's been to the gym. Below it there's a tweet saying she's been doing motorpaced sprints on the road, and a bit further down, there's a tweet saying she's had her nails done.

    Dunno about you, but after reading that I've booked an appointment at my local nail bar this afternoon. I'll report back.

    Yeah, POIDH.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pinno wrote:
    Bikeradar gold this thread.

    Why, thank you.

    Again! :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Webboo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    FatTed wrote:
    What about it? There's a tweet there saying she's been to the gym. Below it there's a tweet saying she's been doing motorpaced sprints on the road, and a bit further down, there's a tweet saying she's had her nails done.

    Dunno about you, but after reading that I've booked an appointment at my local nail bar this afternoon. I'll report back.
    Come on where's the report. I hope you took some photos.

    Well, I'm disappointed, tbh. No improvement in FTP or peak despite having a full set of acrylics done. I certainly won't be believing everything I read on twitter anymore. Pics were accidentally deleted, unfortunately.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    Imposter wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    FatTed wrote:
    What about it? There's a tweet there saying she's been to the gym. Below it there's a tweet saying she's been doing motorpaced sprints on the road, and a bit further down, there's a tweet saying she's had her nails done.

    Dunno about you, but after reading that I've booked an appointment at my local nail bar this afternoon. I'll report back.
    Come on where's the report. I hope you took some photos.

    Well, I'm disappointed, tbh. No improvement in FTP or peak despite having a full set of acrylics done. I certainly won't be believing everything I read on twitter anymore. Pics were accidentally deleted, unfortunately.

    Ha. I bet you told the manicurist that she was doing it all wrong...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pinno wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    FatTed wrote:
    What about it? There's a tweet there saying she's been to the gym. Below it there's a tweet saying she's been doing motorpaced sprints on the road, and a bit further down, there's a tweet saying she's had her nails done.

    Dunno about you, but after reading that I've booked an appointment at my local nail bar this afternoon. I'll report back.
    Come on where's the report. I hope you took some photos.

    Well, I'm disappointed, tbh. No improvement in FTP or peak despite having a full set of acrylics done. I certainly won't be believing everything I read on twitter anymore. Pics were accidentally deleted, unfortunately.

    Ha. I bet you told the manicurist that she was doing it all wrong...

    On the contrary. In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I told her I knew f-all about nails.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    Imposter wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    FatTed wrote:

    ...despite having a full set of acrylics done.

    On the contrary. In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I told her I knew f-all about nails.

    Are you sure about that!? :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Imposter wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    FatTed wrote:
    What about it? There's a tweet there saying she's been to the gym. Below it there's a tweet saying she's been doing motorpaced sprints on the road, and a bit further down, there's a tweet saying she's had her nails done.

    Dunno about you, but after reading that I've booked an appointment at my local nail bar this afternoon. I'll report back.
    Come on where's the report. I hope you took some photos.

    Well, I'm disappointed, tbh. No improvement in FTP or peak despite having a full set of acrylics done. I certainly won't be believing everything I read on twitter anymore. Pics were accidentally deleted, unfortunately.
    According to my daughter who is a qualified Nail Technician acrylics due to being a chemical based product rather than a natural one. This will certainly effect your performance.
    If you are passing through York I can sort you out with a consultation at a discounted rate.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    Webboo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    According to my daughter who is a qualified Nail Technician acrylics due to being a chemical based product rather than a natural one. This will certainly effect your performance.
    If you are passing through York I can sort you out with a consultation at a discounted rate.

    Aren't they on the banned list?

    That's a great offer Imposter, I think you should take him up on it. Then you can join this lot:

    http://www.tranny-contacts.co.uk/Yorkshire/york.html

    :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Webboo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    FatTed wrote:
    What about it? There's a tweet there saying she's been to the gym. Below it there's a tweet saying she's been doing motorpaced sprints on the road, and a bit further down, there's a tweet saying she's had her nails done.

    Dunno about you, but after reading that I've booked an appointment at my local nail bar this afternoon. I'll report back.
    Come on where's the report. I hope you took some photos.

    Well, I'm disappointed, tbh. No improvement in FTP or peak despite having a full set of acrylics done. I certainly won't be believing everything I read on twitter anymore. Pics were accidentally deleted, unfortunately.
    According to my daughter who is a qualified Nail Technician acrylics due to being a chemical based product rather than a natural one. This will certainly effect your performance.
    If you are passing through York I can sort you out with a consultation at a discounted rate.

    It's a kind offer, thanks. But I'm moving away from nails as a performance enhancer now, if I'm honest. There's just not enough evidence...
  • just in case anyone is remotely interested:

    after 11 resistance training sessions, i've seen some changes. no specific interval training, just cycling really. leg day on mon and friday, with road spins on sat, sun and maybe a wednesday. usually 1.5 hrs wed, 4 hours sat and sun. no turbo work recently either. up until my last race i was doing +200miles/ week including specific intervals. i had a week on the beer and chocolate, then i hit the gym. since then i've seen the following changes:

    10 min power going from 260 to 272 watts (last week)
    4 min power going from 310 to 324, 327, 330 (last week)
    ftp from 240 to ??? (this weekend i hope)

    if theres a negative (or placebo) side to what i'm doing, i'm not seeing it. i can feel my legs are a bit off on sat morn but on sunday i'm ok. this friday i'll skip leg day (pre test) as a routine rest day, before starting another 5 week block.

    i havent done my nails fwiw.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    I am interested because if only, it will annoy Imposter something chronic.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not annoying at all. It's entertaining. In a 'Chuckle Brothers/slapstick' kind of way. Unfortunately, that's all it is.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    Imposter wrote:
    Not annoying at all. It's entertaining. In a 'Chuckle Brothers/slapstick' kind of way. Unfortunately, that's all it is.

    Yay!

    You have made little comment on the previous post. Are you going to put it down to placebo?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pinno wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Not annoying at all. It's entertaining. In a 'Chuckle Brothers/slapstick' kind of way. Unfortunately, that's all it is.

    Yay!

    You have made little comment on the previous post. Are you going to put it down to placebo?

    Not enough info to comment on. Clearly you see it as some kind of simplistic N=1 victory though. Which is what this thread seems to be all about. Do you not get tired of trolling all the time?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,038
    Imposter wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Not annoying at all. It's entertaining. In a 'Chuckle Brothers/slapstick' kind of way. Unfortunately, that's all it is.

    Yay!

    You have made little comment on the previous post. Are you going to put it down to placebo?

    Not enough info to comment on. Clearly you see it as some kind of simplistic N=1 victory though. Which is what this thread seems to be all about. Do you not get tired of trolling all the time?

    They say that if you descend into personal comments, you have lost the argument.

    I have kept a civil tongue and my comment should have been taken in the humorous manner to which it was intended.
    I have enjoyed your input but I have a right to contradict you, so there's no need for that.
    In fact, if you look at the results of what I have already admitted as a a flawed and equivocal survey, the results are equivocal because they are not backed up with any scientific evidence - which I am sure you would agree.
    However, if you continue to take an entrenched and opposite view, then I have a right to point it out and contradict you, simply for that matter alone and not for any authentic validity of my poll.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    just in case anyone is remotely interested:

    after 11 resistance training sessions, i've seen some changes. no specific interval training, just cycling really. leg day on mon and friday, with road spins on sat, sun and maybe a wednesday. usually 1.5 hrs wed, 4 hours sat and sun. no turbo work recently either. up until my last race i was doing +200miles/ week including specific intervals. i had a week on the beer and chocolate, then i hit the gym. since then i've seen the following changes:

    10 min power going from 260 to 272 watts (last week)
    4 min power going from 310 to 324, 327, 330 (last week)
    ftp from 240 to ??? (this weekend i hope)

    if theres a negative (or placebo) side to what i'm doing, i'm not seeing it. i can feel my legs are a bit off on sat morn but on sunday i'm ok. this friday i'll skip leg day (pre test) as a routine rest day, before starting another 5 week block.

    i havent done my nails fwiw.


    Probably got some well earned rest