stage 11 ** spoilers**(my privilege)

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    DeadCalm wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    Confirmed by Bodnar in post-race interview, Sagan offered him the win.
    Kudos to Sagan. Not so much to Froome.

What? After all that effort you think Froome's just going to give GC bonus seconds away?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    DeadCalm wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

What are you talking about. Quintana was gaining on Froome while those two in front were hugging and pootling.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Why on god's green earth should Froome not try to win? Bizarre.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

If he wasn't part of the conversation it's not really his fault is it?
    Looked to me like he was part of the conversation. Even if not, it eas blatantly obvious what the right thing to do was in those circumstances especially as he was only ever going to be made to look ridiculous in a sprint against Sagan.
    Maybe they should have kept riding then, instead of all but sitting up for the last few hundred metres. Don't see how you can blame Froome for wanting to keep the gap as big as possible.
  • mamil314
    Is 35 seconds really worth to get so excited about half way through TdF, though? It's Nairo Quintana.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Confirmed that tomorrow will finish at Chateau Reynard - 7km from the scheduled finish.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mamil314 wrote:
    Is 35 seconds really worth to get so excited about half way through TdF, though? It's Nairo Quintana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Tour_de_France
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Froome wasn't riding to keep the gap as big as possible. He was sitting in on the wheel, waiting to launch a sprint and was made to look silly when Sagan almost apologetically came past him without any effort at all. If he'd have sat on Bodnar's wheel he'd have been in exactly the same situation as he is tonight except he'd have made a new friend in the peloton. The best that can be said about what he did was that it was stupidly naive.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    gsk82 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

Froomes racing for time not to cuddle up to someone else's team mate.

Could've gained friends on a GC leader's team who no longer have a GC leader

There's bonus seconds though. Why should he give those up to gift someone else's team mate a win?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • hypster
    RichN95 wrote:
    Confirmed that tomorrow will finish at Chateau Reynard - 7km from the scheduled finish.

It's Chalet Reynard and why is that?
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:

Bummer. I love the moonscape that is Ventoux.
  • above_the_cows
    hypster wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It's Chalet Reynard and why is that?

Too windy at the top.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    He’s correcting the name of the place.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    RichN95 wrote:

Yup - I took this last week

13600072_10210143759657032_1724671004524324563_n.jpg?oh=3ceb9a696797c9d23fe06bc2481039c2&oe=57EE0E57
  • hypster
    RichN95 wrote:

I do too. I feel a little bit cheated now but hopefully the racing will kick off a bit further down. Would have been exciting watching the riders battle against 100 kph winds!
  • above_the_cows
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Froome wasn't riding to keep the gap as big as possible. He was sitting in on the wheel, waiting to launch a sprint and was made to look silly when Sagan almost apologetically came past him without any effort at all. If he'd have sat on Bodnar's wheel he'd have been in exactly the same situation as he is tonight except he'd have made a new friend in the peloton. The best that can be said about what he did was that it was stupidly naive.

Are you forgetting that there are bonus seconds? So if he'd say on Bodnar's wheel he wouldn't have been in exactly the same situation.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Tour_de_France

Point taken. It's crazy, how so much effort and work can be ruined by a puncture or a dodgy meal.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    hypster wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I do too. I feel a little bit cheated now but hopefully the racing will kick off a bit further down. Would have been exciting watching the riders battle against 100 kph winds!

Do you want blood?
  • above_the_cows
    philwint wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

13600072_10210143759657032_1724671004524324563_n.jpg?oh=3ceb9a696797c9d23fe06bc2481039c2&oe=57EE0E57

That is an awesome photo.
  • above_the_cows
    He’s correcting the name of the place.

Didn't realise they were running a quiz.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    DeadCalm wrote:

All 4 of them worked crazy hard. The suggestion that Froome should give up a potential win + more bonus seconds simply because Sagan wanted to gift his teammate a win is ridiculous. Sagan + Bodnar weren't riding for Froome's benefit.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    I don’t think Froome sprinted with a great hope of winning. He just wasn’t prepared to hang around for Sagan to engineer a win for Bodnar. He had every right to sprint there, as I’m sure Bodnar realises.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    DeadCalm wrote:

Are you forgetting that there are bonus seconds? So if he'd say on Bodnar's wheel he wouldn't have been in exactly the same situation.
    If he'd stayed on Bodnar's wheel with Sagan soft-pedalling to allow his team mate the win he could easily have got second. And the difference between second and third is 2 seconds. Do you really think those 2 potential seconds lost is worth it? Bear in mind that it''s not just Sagan and Bodnar. The whole peloton will have seen that. How soon before he is in a situation where he's away with someone who he wants to work with him who says "hang on, I saw what you did with Bodnar. I'm not going to cooperate with you"?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    hypster wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

There's nothing exciting about riders having to get off and walk which is what happens in those sorts of winds (There's videos on YouTube)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Clearly. That'd be why he only sprinted when the other pair were pottering along in no great hurry and crossed the line looking over his shoulder :roll: We get it, you don't like Froome.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Sensible move by Froomey... tomorrow's stage confirmed as shortened.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Well I suppose they could have made an agreement that they'd all continue to ride flat out if Bodnar could have the win and Froome second - that might have got Froome another 5-6 seconds - but I'd rather see riders trying to win the stage than hand it out as a present.

Great stuff by Froome but Sagan is amazing - what a rider.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • above_the_cows
    42d67b2fc3508cc1e2d421d1454f60eb19b3e6a504a07c03279f58ce86b98981.jpg
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    philwint wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

That is an awesome photo.

Thanks - I won't spam a race thread, but there are more here http://www.philwinterbourne.co.uk/france/#/view/ID1712980