Tirreno Adriatico spoilers

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Pross wrote:
    Ironic that after a winter in which most of Europe's ski resorts were lacking in snow we ended up with stages cancelled in two major stage races at the start of spring.

The real irony is that the majority of weather forecasts got it right for once.
    They said no snow fall and there was none.

So, what's the game Senor Vegni?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    What I don't get is, as long as the temp is around 0 - surely you just grit the roads and tell the rider to wrap up?

Head over to commuter chat and there are dozens of guys who commute through freezing weather for 3 months of the year.

I don't get it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    gsk82 wrote:
    Astana are whining that Nibali might skip the Giro because the mountainous day could be cancelled due to bad weather. Instead he might go to the Tour and get his ars* kicked by the grown ups again.

Boo hoo

Babies

Matt Brammeier ‏@Mattbrammeier85 · 6h6 hours ago
    Matt Brammeier Retweeted Cyclingnews.com

Better you stay home & skip the whole season you narrow minded, selfish moron.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gsk82 wrote:
    Astana are whining that Nibali might skip the Giro because the mountainous day could be cancelled due to bad weather. Instead he might go to the Tour and get his ars* kicked by the grown ups again.

Boo hoo

Babies

And applauded by Tony Martin!
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    What I don't get is, as long as the temp is around 0 - surely you just grit the roads and tell the rider to wrap up?

Head over to commuter chat and there are dozens of guys who commute through freezing weather for 3 months of the year.

I don't get it.

Assumes they have gritters and crews in place. Doesn't make economic sense to have those in a lot of places - which is why London grinds to a halt after a light dusting of snow. But yeah, I'd agree with the general thrust of your post.

That said, I don't get the cancellation on the eve of the stage either. Surely you let the teams know there might be an issues and take a look in the morning?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    The_Boy wrote:

I don't get it.

Assumes they have gritters and crews in place. Doesn't make economic sense to have those in a lot of places - which is why London grinds to a halt after a light dusting of snow. But yeah, I'd agree with the general thrust of your post.

That said, I don't get the cancellation on the eve of the stage either. Surely you let the teams know there might be an issues and take a look in the morning?

It's the obvious answer and I'm sure that would've happened if there hadn't been the mid stage cancellation at Paris-Nice a couple of days before. Like a lot of new rules the extreme weather rules will be over-interpreted for a while then it'll calm down.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    gsk82 wrote:

Boo hoo

Babies

And applauded by Tony Martin!

I see your Tony Martin and raise you.....

https://twitter.com/ThibautPinot/status ... 4257557504
  • rick_chasey
    He's just changed his mind and is dipping his toe in the water about a TdF ride...
  • The_Boy
    He's just changed his mind and is dipping his toe in the water about a TdF ride...

Aru has had his early season itinerary cut back massively, hasn't he? Might suggest that decision's been made already.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    The biggest bonus about the stage being cancelled was not having to listen to more absolute rubbish coming from the mouth of Carlton Kirby. The guy just makes it up as he goes along.

My biggest fear is that race organisers will go into overdrive with the extreme weather protocol. Instead of being something used when really necessary it will end up like the reviewing of run-outs in cricket. Having said that, the fact it costs them money when they cancel a stage or a race may help to limit that risk of overuse.

I wonder how many of the GC climber types won't take the start today in Tirreno. I guess there is the opportunity for some TT practice tomorrow, but if you've been using this race as an early season target I'm sure the motivation to continue will be low.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    GVA takes it today from Sagan. Kwia 3rd.

Won from a small group that got away.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Sounds like last 20km were decent viewing. GVA schooling Sagan again :D
  • dish_dash
    GC after Stage 6. Tomorrow's final stage is a flat 22.7km TT... GC up for grabs

1 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 20:30:43
    2 Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:07
    3 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team 0:00:08
    4 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:21
    5 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step
    6 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ 0:00:28
    7 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) FDJ
    8 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff Team 0:00:30
    9 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Team Sky 0:00:31
    10 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:34
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Looking at the GC you've got to fancy Jungels
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    dish_dash wrote:
    GC after Stage 6. Tomorrow's final stage is a flat 22.7km TT... GC up for grabs

1 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 20:30:43
    2 Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:07
    3 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team 0:00:08
    4 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:21
    5 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step
    6 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ 0:00:28
    7 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) FDJ
    8 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff Team 0:00:30
    9 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Team Sky 0:00:31
    10 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:34

Er, I think it's just 10kms.
    Well, they made the most of a botched job.

I bet Scarponi was wish he'd quit after the mountain stage went West.
    Probably busting a CB on a meaningless stage. Not good.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    Looking at the GC you've got to fancy Jungels

I reckon it's wrong unless TJ was held up by the crash.
    He was 2 seconds ahead of Jungels.
  • dish_dash
    You tell me... looks like 22.7km to me...

T01_LidoCamaiore_alt.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2016
    PCS and Steephill have this:

Final_GC-1450700920.jpeg

Another RCS cock up? :lol:

You would think the official site is correct, will have a look at last years, since it's the same every year.....
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    The 22.7km profile is from the TTT I think.
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:
    You tell me... looks like 22.7km to me...

T01_LidoCamaiore_alt.jpg

Fairly sure that's the TTT from stage 1...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Very early finishes?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dish_dash
    Ah. Perhaps.
  • blazing_saddles
    Looked at the last two editions and the winning times were over 25 minutes, so I would have gone with the 22.7km profile.

However, Lido di Camaiore was stage 1.
  • Looked at the last two editions and the winning times were over 25 minutes, so I would have gone with the 22.7km profile.

However, Lido di Camaiore was stage 1.

It is 10 k ? last year Canc did it in 11.23 the year before Malori did a flying 10.13 putting 11 secs into Wiggins
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    So, what happened to Teejay?
  • The_Boy
    Caught behind a crash
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    dish_dash wrote:
    Ah. Perhaps.

Perhaps? The clue is in the race name.

The final TT is 10.1 kms. The one you quoted was the opening TTT stage.
  • dish_dash
    Mea Culpa

Stage 1 and Stage 7 on the RCS website are next to each other and I looked and posted the wrong one. Glad we've clarified it though. 10km to go... who's going to win?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    It's hard to look past Jungels. But Van Avermaet was 4th behind EBH in a similar length TT in Qatar a month ago.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    andyp wrote:
    It's hard to look past Jungels. But Van Avermaet was 4th behind EBH in a similar length TT in Qatar a month ago.
    At only 10km and over ten seconds lead over Jungels, Sagan won't be more than a couple of seconds off by the end. Could go either way.
    Twitter: @RichN95