Compact Crank vs Semi-Compact

1101112131416»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Slowmart wrote:
    It's surprising the amount of people who frequent the Internet who take whats said by people they don't know far too seriously.

Never make that mistake, it's just the Internet. Relax, go and ride your bike.
    It may only be the internet and yes, loads of bad infó out there, but where else can you find so many right answers to your questions. Although deciding good from bad (for you)can be daunting.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Pinno wrote:
    I've never taken you too seriously Slowmart.

The list grows and long may it.

The flat earther
    The rice chomping cycling Jihadist
    Decal dreamer
    Flappity gate
    Backstreet zero...

Christ we haven't had a helmet debate in months.

My favourite was the guy with posted pictures of his bike with silver foil as bar tape who went from 0 to 100mph in a few posts with a little help of course.

Mind you the forum does seem to be a nutter magnet who exhibit differing layers of lucidness dispersed with a detachment from reality while some stay the course but I prefer the shooting star, deranged but ultimately too bright in their madness to last long.

It's wholesome entertainment but I do feel rather like those VIctorians who frequented asylums for an evenings entertainment. Good fun in a dirty sort of way.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Slowmart wrote:
    It's surprising the amount of people who frequent the Internet who take whats said by people they don't know far too seriously.

Pillowbiter, play nice now and if I were to follow your advice should I use a compact, semi or full fat version and what informed advice can you offer as to wearing a helmet while pedalling? Whilst I fear I won't get the 20 minutes back in my life if I read the 22 pages preceding this page?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Slowmart wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

Pillowbiter, play nice now and if I were to follow your advice should I use a compact, semi or full fat version and what informed advice can you offer as to wearing a helmet while pedalling? Whilst I fear I won't get the 20 minutes back in my life if I read the 22 pages preceding this page?

The N+1 rule works well. One bike with a compact, one bike with a semi, one with a single ring, one with a triple. Helmets are great, everyone should wear a helmet when cycling, they should make it the law.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,369
    Slowmart wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    It's...seriously.

Pillowbiter...page?

The N+1 rule works well. One bike with a compact, one bike with a semi, one with a single ring, one with a triple. Helmets are great, everyone should wear a helmet when cycling, they should make it the law.

Helmets are only tested to an impact of an equivalent 14mph in the UK (18 under American ANSI standards)...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • milemuncher1
    Woohoo helmet talk. I wear a helmet so as that anything flicked up off the road, by vehicles in front, doesn't get stuck in my head. The other reason I wear a lid, is because of a comparative situation I have found myself in. I was smacked into a ditch, by some inattentive tw@, whilst on my bike. I was okay, I wasnt wearing a lid, the bike was mullered. When it came to insurance time, his insurance made a big thing about the fact I wasn't wearing a lid, they paid far less than they should have. I was sent over the bonnet of a car, ( someone not giving way to the right, when I was already way across a roundabout, wearing a lid) the bike was totalled, their insurance company made a point of asking if I was wearing a lid. When they knew I was, they paid for a new bike, no questions asked. I don't think a lid will do much to help from an injury prevention angle, in a cyclist versus vehicle accident, but it seems to be a point that insurers will try and use, if they can.
  • dennisn
    Woohoo helmet talk. I wear a helmet so as that anything flicked up off the road, by vehicles in front, doesn't get stuck in my head. The other reason I wear a lid, is because of a comparative situation I have found myself in. I was smacked into a ditch, by some inattentive tw@, whilst on my bike. I was okay, I wasnt wearing a lid, the bike was mullered. When it came to insurance time, his insurance made a big thing about the fact I wasn't wearing a lid, they paid far less than they should have. I was sent over the bonnet of a car, ( someone not giving way to the right, when I was already way across a roundabout, wearing a lid) the bike was totalled, their insurance company made a point of asking if I was wearing a lid. When they knew I was, they paid for a new bike, no questions asked. I don't think a lid will do much to help from an injury prevention angle, in a cyclist versus vehicle accident, but it seems to be a point that insurers will try and use, if they can.
    Are there still helmet debates out there?
  • milemuncher1
    dennisn wrote:

A mass of them.
  • pinno
    bear-catching-fish-o.gif
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

A mass of them.
    WHY?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

A mass of them.
    WHY?
    Why not?
    As interesting as gear ratios.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

A mass of them.
    WHY?
    Why not?
    As interesting as gear ratios.

Gear ratios are a waste of time. Front and rear mechs, ergo/sti levers are all just a conspiracy by the bike manufactures to buy bits. I ride a 55" fixed and I flap my legs around like the clappers. Years ago, you used to strap dustbin lids to yer ankles and we would go down Holm Moss in a blur, all 243 of us in bike club. You can still see scars outside Hawes where Tubby Arkwright's legs came unbolted at 150rpm... Yer back? Yer back?! Yer back's supposed to hurt intit? That's what backs were made for...
  • pblakeney
    150 rpm? Phhtt! Child's play.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgyq8Zkp10Y
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
  • pblakeney
    Bouncy, bouncy...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Bouncy, bouncy...

Imagine that , a world record using Flappity legs tecnik.....It'll never catch on :wink:
  • pinno
    edited March 2016
    Two sprung crank technik, as they say in Germany.

I'll get my coat.
  • pblakeney
    Pinno wrote:
    Two sprung crank technik, as they say in Germany.

I'll get mu coat.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    dennisn wrote:
    I think an 11 tooth cog is totally useless to the average rider. Everyone likes to tell everyone else that they use it "all the time" but that's just vanity talking

Modern cycling is all about marketing. Call me cynical (I know you will), but the 11 tooth cog appeared at the same time as the original compact chainset. Its purpose, (my opinion), was not to compensate for percieved loss of speed, but to improve the now crap chainline by pushing the more commonly used cogs further up the cassette.
  • pinno
    The number of options of replacement chainrings on a 110bcd compact c'set, more or less makes the whole thing pointless.
  • pblakeney
    bill57 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I think an 11 tooth cog is totally useless to the average rider. Everyone likes to tell everyone else that they use it "all the time" but that's just vanity talking

Modern cycling is all about marketing. Call me cynical (I know you will), but the 11 tooth cog appeared at the same time as the original compact chainset. Its purpose, (my opinion), was not to compensate for percieved loss of speed, but to improve the now crap chainline by pushing the more commonly used cogs further up the cassette.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    And what is the difference in chainline angle between a 54x12 10 speed and 50x11 11 speed?
    Veronese68 wrote: