Omloop Het Nieuwsblad - Sat 27th Feb **SPOILERS**

Comments

• Cneifion wrote:
    I see ONE Pro Cycling are on the start list, their first Flanders Classic and first big-time race in Europe. Seems like they have big ambitions and it would be good to see another British team in top level racing.

Would be nice to see The Dude on the podium (or one of the other stalwarts of the British racing scene) but I don't think it's going to happen.

Yeah. I think that's pushing into fantasy territory

Who is The Dude?

Way out west there was this fella... fella I wanna tell ya about. Fella by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. Mr. Lebowski, he called himself "The Dude". Now, "Dude" - that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense. And a lot about where he lived, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place so darned interestin'. They call Los Angeles the "City Of Angels." I didn't find it to be that, exactly. But I'll allow there are some nice folks there. 'Course I can't say I've seen London, and I ain't never been to France. And I ain't never seen no queen in her damned undies, so the feller says. But I'll tell you what - after seeing Los Angeles, and this here story I'm about to unfold, well, I guess I seen somethin' every bit as stupefyin' as you'd see in any of them other places. And in English, too. So I can die with a smile on my face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place back in the early '90s - just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. And even if he's a lazy man - and the Dude was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. But sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Aw. I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced him enough.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Cneifion wrote:
    I see ONE Pro Cycling are on the start list, their first Flanders Classic and first big-time race in Europe. Seems like they have big ambitions and it would be good to see another British team in top level racing.

Would be nice to see The Dude on the podium (or one of the other stalwarts of the British racing scene) but I don't think it's going to happen.

Yeah. I think that's pushing into fantasy territory

Who is The Dude?

Way out west there was this fella... fella I wanna tell ya about. Fella by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. Mr. Lebowski, he called himself "The Dude". Now, "Dude" - that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense. And a lot about where he lived, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place so darned interestin'. They call Los Angeles the "City Of Angels." I didn't find it to be that, exactly. But I'll allow there are some nice folks there. 'Course I can't say I've seen London, and I ain't never been to France. And I ain't never seen no queen in her damned undies, so the feller says. But I'll tell you what - after seeing Los Angeles, and this here story I'm about to unfold, well, I guess I seen somethin' every bit as stupefyin' as you'd see in any of them other places. And in English, too. So I can die with a smile on my face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place back in the early '90s - just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. And even if he's a lazy man - and the Dude was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. But sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Aw. I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced him enough.

You know when you quote a film to someone hasn't seen it :)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The Dude = Kristian House, the best bike rider to come from Austin, Texas
  • Which is ironic. As he was last seen on screen playing one of the Unholy Geweiss Triumverate thrashing the other Texan at FW (which confusingly according to The Program's filmmakers seemed to be raced on the pave of P-R...)
  • To bring us back to ONE Pro cycling, Yanto Barker was also in the film, as a body double for the other Texan, and is riding the Omloop.
    I think a good result for ONE Pro would be to get half their riders to the finish.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    And it's live on BIKE channel on Sky and Virgin, from 1:15pm.
    Good spot!

Woohoo! (Although it's not showing on their website)

Now just to not get too drunk on Friday night so I can go and ride some cobbles beforehand.

Just checked the Sky box planner and I cannot see anything on Sat PM except a 2 hour doc about climbing the Stelvio - am I missing something?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yeah I've just done the same, can't see it either (and as mentioned not on their website) - Joel must have got it from their Twitter (I checked twitter in a moment of inspiration since I remembered how much Joel loves it).
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    deejay wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Yes, I saw that ProMo too.
    True that I've looked at schedules but can't find it listed except on the Pro Mo clip. :?:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • bobmcstuff
    deejay wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Yes, I saw that ProMo too.
    True that I've looked at schedules but can't find it listed except on the Pro Mo clip. :?:

S'on their Twitter!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Tisj in De Gentenaar today saying it's a pleasure to ride in front of hometown fans. Drumming up support.

Is he gonna be a Boonen or a Devolder?
  • That all depends on how often he can get in the gossip magazines.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Joelsim wrote:

I had a look for it last night to record and it wasnt on the listing?
  • Joelsim wrote:

I had a look for it last night to record and it wasnt on the listing?

They say the EPG is incorrect.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    yeah... got confirmation from a precise commentator last night that it will be on
  • rick_chasey
    Don't be too subtle dish.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    yeah... got confirmation from a precise commentator last night that it will be on

You got my French Fighter Ouija Board out and spoke to Duffers?

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    :D

Something like that... at times the evening was a bit surreal
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Agh, Captain Small has a birthday party from 2-4pm on Saturday.
  • Weymouth are away to Biggleswade in the Evo Stik Southern League as well :(
  • 4 days to go... it's daily East Flanders weather update time!

Peed it down yesterday, all day. Today is merely a bit breezy, but snow on the way next couple of days!

@gietvangent
  • bobmcstuff
    Forecast for Saturday looks a bit too nice really.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Forecast for Saturday looks a bit too nice really.

What you want is a good dump of rain on Friday night to grease up Haaghoek and Paddestraat nicely, then decent spectating weather on Saturday.

Stannard's first win in 2014 was a chuffing miserable day. I was house hunting for the morning and decided I wasn't going to leave the nice warm bar I'd watched in for the last 3 hours to walk 10 mins to the finish, because my feet were already wet and cold enough.

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Pfft. I hope you don't call yourself a Flandrien.
  • Pfft. I hope you don't call yourself a Flandrien.

Unlike most genuine Flandriens, I ride my bike in the rain.

@gietvangent
  • I'm working on Saturday, so do I just record every programme on BIKE from 1pm - 6pm?
  • rick_chasey
    Give sky a few days to sort out the scheduling first.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Pfft. I hope you don't call yourself a Flandrien.

Unlike most genuine Flandriens, I ride my bike in the rain.

I can confirm both parts of this...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Love De Vlaeminck
  • dish_dash
    I'm surprised he didn't bring up Sagan's hairy legs as well...