Transfers 2017 : Rumours and fact

Comments

• andyp wrote:
    Are One Pro continuing next year? All their better riders seem to be off to pastures new.

Dunno. I heard murmurings a few months ago that their funding was a bit on the smoke and mirrors side. Thats not unusual for the British domestic squads tbf - majority of whom cling on for dear life - but as ProConti One Pro's budget has to stretch a lot wider than NFTO, Raleigh etc
  • andyp wrote:
    Are One Pro continuing next year? All their better riders seem to be off to pastures new.

They're continuing but have a large exodus of riders. Can't see them lasting beyond 2017. Matt Prior will have had plenty of time to piss everyone off by then
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    I see Nick Nuyens has got bored of running a supermarket and is back in cycling with a Pro-Conti team sponsored by Crelan and Verandas Willems... Devolder just signed for them.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    andyp wrote:

Dunno. I heard murmurings a few months ago that their funding was a bit on the smoke and mirrors side. Thats not unusual for the British domestic squads tbf - majority of whom cling on for dear life - but as ProConti One Pro's budget has to stretch a lot wider than NFTO, Raleigh etc

Not helped by a significant cost increase for a European service course and the salaries of riders paid in Euros, following the fall in the £.
  • lyn1
    Crampeur wrote:
    Chris Opie leaving One Pro.

For a bigger and better team, I hope. He's been one of the riders clocking up their results

That's true, although as their chosen sprinter for most of the season he has had a lot of chances. The results have tended to come in races where there are very few, if any, WT or top PC teams present. He seems to do better in the races with few lumps and those that are not raced particularly hard prior to the sprint. This limits his options. Not convinced that he has done enough to suggest he is better than top Conti/bottom Pro Conti teams yet.
  • lyn1 wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:
    Chris Opie leaving One Pro.

For a bigger and better team, I hope. He's been one of the riders clocking up their results

That's true, although as their chosen sprinter for most of the season he has had a lot of chances. The results have tended to come in races where there are very few, if any, WT or top PC teams present. He seems to do better in the races with few lumps and those that are not raced particularly hard prior to the sprint. This limits his options. Not convinced that he has done enough to suggest he is better than top Conti/bottom Pro Conti teams yet.

Stop coming around here with that sort of fancy logic, lyn :P
  • dish_dash
    Cannondale-Drapac go all POC for the next three years... hitherto clothing had been castelli.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Cannondale-Drapac go all POC for the next three years... hitherto clothing had been castelli.

Fits the Castelli -> Sky rumour too, innit
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Chris Opie is a good domestic rider. Pumps out big numbers but has found his level in my opinion. Sounds like a decent bloke so I wish him well.

I see One Pro have confirmed four of the experienced riders including House.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:

Fits the Castelli -> Sky rumour too, innit

Ja ja... and I saw that the Grubers were shooting for Castelli in the Lakes recently...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Christ I'm gonna have to bin my tights aren't I?

I like those tights.

Balls and my summer shorts.

FFS. Can't sky get Altura to sponsor them or something?

Castelli sizing will get mega big too to fit fat Brits :roll:
  • dish_dash
    Didn't stop you looking the part in Rapha ;)
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Didn't stop you looking the part in Rapha ;)

Tee hee :D
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, but I'm trying to get out of the habit of general self loathing.

Can'tcha tell?
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Viviani re-signed with Sky
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    lyn1 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Not helped by a significant cost increase for a European service course and the salaries of riders paid in Euros, following the fall in the £.

Had a strange past week, so now catching up reading the fun murmurings here...

Well this is where OPC buggered up really. They established their service course near Gatwick.. and soon found themselves spending a bomb on ferries/shuttles all the time.

OPC is Chappell and his banker mates having fun. I hope it does continue, but this 'Membership = Sustainable Team' thing was never going to work. It chips some money in, but it was never going to be enough.

Shocked at Blythe to Aqua, very shocked. I was convinced it would be DiData.

Intrigued to know where Biablocki is off to after the season he's had. Oh, just seen he's off to CCC.. interesting.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    He probably wasn't supposed to, but Christian Knees confirmed Kenny Elissonde has joined Sky (and he's at Sky's end of season party)

Here he is. (Is that Rosa in the white shirt? Or Nieve?)

CvuZPH4WYAUERWJ.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tis Mikel Snow

There's a better pic of King Kenny looking more Princess Kenny, on Knees' Twitter feed
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    One Pro have signed Tom Stewart.
    He's a world tour level rider so I hope he doesnt stagnate there.
  • RichN95.
    Sky have conformed Diego Rosa. Personally I don't think that's a good idea.
  • AK_jnr wrote:

Dunno, think UK domestic guys benefit from the interim step first. Not wild about One Pro, mind. I'm sure Roger Hammond will be keeping a beady eye on how Stewart does next season.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Sky have conformed Diego Rosa. Personally I don't think that's a good idea.

What are your reservations, Rich?
  • dish_dash
    Had a Lizzie situation non?
  • dish_dash wrote:

True. But wondered if Rich's concerns were more directed towards whether Rosa would be given the space to do his thing there
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash wrote:

True. But wondered if Rich's concerns were more directed towards whether Rosa would be given the space to do his thing there
    It's the missed tests. Nothing against Rosa but it gives ammunition to the media at the wrong time. (Although I doubt Lawton and Roan have ever heard of him).

From a sporting perspective he'll be no worse off than at Astana.
  • lyn1
    AK_jnr wrote:

Dunno, think UK domestic guys benefit from the interim step first. Not wild about One Pro, mind. I'm sure Roger Hammond will be keeping a beady eye on how Stewart does next season.

Agree, although there is no reason why he should stagnate if he is WT level as ONE do not have that level of rider (except Smith), so he will get loads of chances to impress. However, he will need to adjust to a much tougher race programme. It's one thing doing a handful of big races a year, mostly in your own back yard, where you can plan training, racing and peaking around them and turn up highly motivated following a recon of the route. Also plenty of recovery time before another big race......very different when you are doing big races virtually every week or two for 8 months on courses you have never seen where local riders are up for it....not to mention the debilitating effect of additional travel.
  • rick_chasey
    He's moneyball with those missed tests innit.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Good ol' Pov doesn't last very long at teams, only managed a year at MG. Wonder where he's off to next....
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Not so much transfer news but next year Etixx-Quick-Step will now be known as Quick-Step Floors (from their official FB page).