Pave is coming...

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,705
    Will the terrorist attacks currently being carried out in Belgium mean that races will now get canceled due to security restrictions etc?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Let's hope not.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Let's hope not.
    Indeed, if it is a terrorist attack that's exactly what the terrorists want so best to try and carry on as normal. However, organisers have a duty of care to spectators and teams have a duty of care to their riders so lots of things to consider before making a decision. Can't really think of a more difficult crowd to protect than one strung along a few hundred kilometre route.
  • blazing_saddles
    Let's hope not.

Dwars has already been cancelled.

E3 and GW probably, De Panne and RvV most likely.
  • jasonbrim
    jasonbrim Posts: 105
    Let's hope not.

Where are you getting your info from?
    Trying to keep up to date (meant to be flying to Belgium next week to watch the RvV, and my gf is flying out earlier to visit her friend beforehand).
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Let's hope not.

Is that confirmed? And if it is sounds like more about logistics rather than the security risk.

RVV were already saying no backpacks etc.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    dish_dash wrote:
    Let's hope not.

Is that confirmed? And if it is sounds like more about logistics rather than the security risk (airport/transport links shut).

RVV were already saying no backpacks etc.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    "could be cancelled - it's been less than 2 hours since the attacks. Can we please try and check what we post?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jasonbrim
    jasonbrim Posts: 105
    ddraver wrote:
    "could be cancelled - it's been less than 2 hours since the attacks. Can we please try and check what we post?
    I agree. There is now some info: link from cyclingnews: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dwars-d ... -brussels/
    Organisers of Dwars door Vlaanderen may be forced to cancel the race after terror attacks at Brussels Airport and metro. The terror threat rating in Belgium was raised to four – the highest level – in the immediate aftermath of the incident, which restricts large gatherings such as sporting events.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    I would imagine they will be cancelled. Large almost unpolicable gathering spread over hundreds of KM of road. Many team managers will be pulling people out this morning.

Heartbroken for Brussels.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Flanders Classics meeting at 12 CET to discuss events.
  • ddraver
    I would imagine they will be cancelled. Large almost unpolicable gathering spread over hundreds of KM of road. Many team managers will be pulling people out this morning.

I mean....this is just totally unfounded nonsense
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

The Internet. Used to spread unfounded nonsense since forever. I mean, it's what Berners-Lee wanted.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I would imagine they will be cancelled. Large almost unpolicable gathering spread over hundreds of KM of road.
    We better cancel the entire sport then. Because those circumstances aren't going to change.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    On another note, whilst we all speculate, Valverde isn't racing Amstel now.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2016
    jasonbrim wrote:
    Let's hope not.

Where are you getting your info from?
    Trying to keep up to date (meant to be flying to Belgium next week to watch the RvV, and my gf is flying out earlier to visit her friend beforehand).

Ay, that is what was initially tweeted out of Belgium.
    They omitted the word 'probably'.
    As Joel has posted, meeting at 12 o'clock.

Level 4 alert, as I understand it, would effect public gatherings, such as major sporting events.

Surely policing resources would also become an issue?
  • blazing_saddles
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah calm down.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    I would imagine they will be cancelled. Large almost unpolicable gathering spread over hundreds of KM of road.
    We better cancel the entire sport then. Because those circumstances aren't going to change.

That's a logical response. The problem is that with modern media, the government and authorities are almost forced to enforce knee jerk bans out of fear.
  • My guy tells me not cancelled. They're considering what they can do to make it more secure but their inclination is to go ahead.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Shadowrider
    ddraver wrote:

Explain why it's nonsense. It's a actually sensible, when you look at what we know, if they already have cause to ban backpacks and coolers because of safety issues, and there has been a terrorist attack in the country of the race 12 days before the race. With Government ministers admitting the intelligence services have been behind since Charlie Hebdo attacks. The race takes place over how ever many hundred kilometers of open road, it would be impossible to efficiently police everyone spectating. Along with the huge crowds the race attracts.

With them planning to ban bags etc, with my experience working with the emergency planning office for central Scotland, it isn't normally put in place unless they feel there is at least an element of a credible threat. I'm not saying there was a threat.

Again tell me what is nonsense about what I said, I had a perfectly rational reaction to this situation. Maybe the bit about team managers was far fetched but would a team want to send riders to a race where there was a higher chance of a terrorist attack? I know I wouldn't.
  • Shadowrider
    RichN95 wrote:

Yes but not every race happens immediately after a terrorist attack on the country hosting. :roll:

I wonder sometimes.
  • Flanders Classics confirm DDV will, as things stand, go ahead.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    A further meeting at 5pm CET today to decide. It'll go ahead if the terror threat has been reduced from level 4.
  • Shadowrider
    I hope every race goes ahead, cancelling plays to the fear.

We've just had extra meetings called in work to discuss contingency plans for two events over the summer months.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    It's an interesting debate isn't it?

With the amount of open road space out there they is no way of policing a bike race.

If there is a threat I suspect they will postpone based on that.

But I hope it still happens.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

if they already have cause to ban backpacks and coolers because of safety issues, and there has been a terrorist attack in the country of the race 12 days before the race. With Government ministers admitting the intelligence services have been behind since Charlie Hebdo attacks. The race takes place over how ever many hundred kilometers of open road, it would be impossible to efficiently police everyone spectating. Along with the huge crowds the race attracts.

With them planning to ban bags etc, with my experience working with the emergency planning office for central Scotland, it isn't normally put in place unless they feel there is at least an element of a credible threat. I'm not saying there was a threat.

Again tell me what is nonsense about what I said, I had a perfectly rational reaction to this situation. Maybe the bit about team managers was far fetched but would a team want to send riders to a race where there was a higher chance of a terrorist attack? I know I wouldn't.

I wrote a response to this but it's really not the time, It's lunchtime on the day of the attacks...

Explain why it's nonsense. It's a actually sensible, when you look at what we know,

Therein lies the problem - we know nothing, so lets just hold off on the guesswork until we do. At least 20 people (Independent @ 1324 CET) have died. A bike race is of zero concern right now.
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,394
    Would a bike race really be a target? Spectators are spread out over a big distance.
    Attacks tend to be where there are large numbers of people in a small area - a football match would be a much more attractive target for instance.

Cancelling events like this just means the bastards win, though I could understand if tomorrow was cancelled.
  • blazing_saddles
    Yup.
    The dilemma, is how to balance protecting the public versus protecting the fabric of ones society, which is a key terrorist target.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    When you've got TV & other media coverage it's going to be a possible target.
    Hopefully all the events - including the sportives - can go ahead - giving in now is just what "they" want. That said - I'm not sure how keen I am on taking my family to the events if there is a significant risk - significant being much more than we get every day ...