Pave is coming...

Comments

• Goat's analysis is spot on.

Nothing to add.

When the history of this race is written. They should call me. I still have the full Sporza broadcast from start to finish on my Telenet box and watch it more than I'd like to admit.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Well, I'll agree to disagree. Looking forward to the opening weekend, an interesting side story will be to see how One Pro Cycling get along since I think they are riding KBK and Omloop, especially in the light that they are aiming for WorldTour status
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Goat's analysis is spot on.

Nothing to add.

When the history of this race is written. They should call me. I still have the full Sporza broadcast from start to finish on my Telenet box and watch it more than I'd like to admit.

I've seen the last 50km of last year's Gent-Wevelgem about 6 times. Any analysis you'd like to conduct on that race, Goat? :wink: Arguably the race of the season.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    Goat's analysis is spot on.

Nothing to add.

I've seen the last 50km of last year's Gent-Wevelgem about 6 times. Any analysis you'd like to conduct on that race, Goat? :wink: Arguably the race of the season.

I'm not going to lie to you Milton, my memory of that race is somewhat... fuzzy.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    :lol: The proper Belgian way of viewing cycling.
  • ShutupJens
    They are all on Youtube too, compared to the dross that is on terrestrial TV nowadays I know what I would rather watch!
  • Milton50 wrote:

The good thing about Omloop is the cyclo is the day after, so you can't drink too much when it's on.

@gietvangent
  • ShutupJens wrote:
    Well, I'll agree to disagree. Looking forward to the opening weekend, an interesting side story will be to see how One Pro Cycling get along since I think they are riding KBK and Omloop, especially in the light that they are aiming for WorldTour status

fair enough for ONE Pro having the ambition but can you imagine anyone that was on the team last year other than marcin would make the cut? I think for British riders it is better for them to stay pro conti and be a stepping stone (that said not sure how many riders from last year will still be there next year even if they stay pro conti)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Giant Alpecin tweet that they won't be racing OHN because of the crash...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Milton50 wrote:

The good thing about Omloop is the cyclo is the day after, so you can't drink too much when it's on.

Yes you can!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    ShutupJens wrote:
    They are all on Youtube too, compared to the dross that is on terrestrial TV nowadays I know what I would rather watch!

Thank you, Shutup. That might be the tipping-point comment that has me cancel the Sky sub and go online only...
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens wrote:

fair enough for ONE Pro having the ambition but can you imagine anyone that was on the team last year other than marcin would make the cut? I think for British riders it is better for them to stay pro conti and be a stepping stone (that said not sure how many riders from last year will still be there next year even if they stay pro conti)

I think if they were to step up then their roster would need to be strengthened a bit, much like it has been this year. I think they will do it after a couple of years at this level. Would be good to see two British teams in the highest tier of the sport!
  • ShutupJens
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

Thank you, Shutup. That might be the tipping-point comment that has me cancel the Sky sub and go online only...

I have never had sky so it is a little different for me perhaps - but if our Freeview got cut off for whatever reason, I genuinely don't think that I would notice what with everything the fire stick has to offer
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    ddraver wrote:
    Giant Alpecin tweet that they won't be racing OHN because of the crash...

Confirmed on cyclingnews

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giant-a ... ieuwsblad/

Shame
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Giant news sucks... hope the various injuries heal well and they get some good results later in the season...
  • wonder if anyone else will get their spot?
  • Starters list

http://www.omloophetnieuwsblad.be/nl/elite-men/race/participants

Sagan, Boonen, Iljoooooo, Martin, Tisj, GVA, Pip, Canc a reserve, Theuns, Kristoff, Gijs and Dimitri Claeys riding... no Sep or IAN FLIPPIN STANNARD????!!

@gietvangent
  • Starters list

Sagan, Boonen, Iljoooooo, Martin, Tisj, GVA, Pip, Canc a reserve, Theuns, Kristoff, Gijs and Dimitri Claeys riding... no Sep or IAN FLIPPIN STANNARD????!!

Stan has said that he wants to start his campaign a little later (a la Fabs) as he really wants to be ready for Flanders but most especially P-R. Previously he's run out of steam by then.
  • This will not stand...

Yanto Barker gets a start too. Bet he never saw that coming.

@gietvangent
  • This will not stand...

Yanto Barker gets a start too. Bet he never saw that coming.

Yanto Barker. A legend in his own lunchtime.
  • getting nearer...

Can hardly contain my excitement.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Main question is how will Quick Step balls it up?
  • Main question is how will Quick Step balls it up?

They've already added an extra chief...

@gietvangent
  • Starters list

Scott thwaites had a few good rides last year, could be good for a top ten
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    The premature excitement on here had misled me into thinking Omloop was today! I had an excellent day planned round watching it, and now I'm going to have to build an IKEA flatpack this afternoon without any cobble-action to watch :(
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Schoolboy error Graeme! We should set up some sort of text alert for these things. Especially for races on the "wrong" days...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    The premature excitement on here had misled me into thinking Omloop was today! I had an excellent day planned round watching it, and now I'm going to have to build an IKEA flatpack this afternoon without any cobble-action to watch :(

Bad news. I had to build an Ikea bed whilst Amstel was on last year. I think it only made the race worse.

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I just feel really bad for KBK at this time of year.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    squired wrote:
    I'm sure I saw something suggesting that we would be getting some live coverage of the lesser cobble races on the new (and generally pointless at the moment) "Bike" channel that launched on Sky at the end of last year.
    Nothing on their site http://www.bikechannel.co.uk/en/tv-guid ... 2016-02-27
    Just seen a trailer on TV saying that they're showing the Omloop live from 1.15pm.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    squired wrote:
    I'm sure I saw something suggesting that we would be getting some live coverage of the lesser cobble races on the new (and generally pointless at the moment) "Bike" channel that launched on Sky at the end of last year.
    Nothing on their site http://www.bikechannel.co.uk/en/tv-guid ... 2016-02-27
    Just seen a trailer on TV saying that they're showing the Omloop live from 1.15pm.

Well, it is definitely on their Italian version, but nowt comes up as yet for their UK channel:

http://www.bikechannel.it/it/programmi/ ... ke-channel

Having said that, when I looked at their TV schedule, it isn't on there yet, either.
    Maybe it'll show up on the Sky epg in a few minutes, maybe it won't.
    It would be...................very handy.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.