Fred Whitton Challenge 2016, the big thread

Comments

• Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    shazzz wrote:
    On the plus side, I've got my accommodation sorted. I'm staying in Eskdale so have the option of doing a 'fresh' ride up Hardknott on Saturday. Any thoughts on this? Good idea, or better to keep as fresh as poss before the big day?
    If you do fancy a leg loosener on the Saturday, after Hardknott turn down the Duddon valley to Ulpha. Turn right up Sella Brow (almost as steep as the first bit of Hardknott) over Birker fell. Then turn right at the King George pub back onto the Eskdale rd. Its a lovely couple of hours. The ride down the Duddon Valley is a joyous experience. 8). A few miles of no traffic (usually) and a general downhill trend.

just leave enough in the tank for the left hand corner after the hairpins on Sella Brow - its deceptively steep.
    The climb from Eskdale up Birker fell is a lovely little ride out too, even just as a there & back, with a diversion to Devoke water on foot.
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    London-Red wrote:
    Not quite sure how the training's going, but I can now ride up and down Dark Hill 10 times without too many problems :lol:

If you can go up and down Dark Hill in Richmond park 10 times, then the world is your oyster. :lol:
    More seriously, if you want some hills to test your climbing, there isn't much noteworthy in the South East, maybe try doing a loop including Barhatch Lane and White Downs a few times... that's closer (but still quite far) to the gradients you'll find in Cumbria
    Adjust your brakes to rub heavily to get the full effect. :mrgreen:
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Guanajuato wrote:
    London-Red wrote:
    Not quite sure how the training's going, but I can now ride up and down Dark Hill 10 times without too many problems :lol:

If you can go up and down Dark Hill in Richmond park 10 times, then the world is your oyster. :lol:
    More seriously, if you want some hills to test your climbing, there isn't much noteworthy in the South East, maybe try doing a loop including Barhatch Lane and White Downs a few times... that's closer (but still quite far) to the gradients you'll find in Cumbria
    Adjust your brakes to rub heavily to get the full effect. :mrgreen:

Believe me, I know the gradients (I grew up in the Lakes). I'm actually reasonably confident - however misguided that might be...
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Guanajuato wrote:
    shazzz wrote:
    On the plus side, I've got my accommodation sorted. I'm staying in Eskdale so have the option of doing a 'fresh' ride up Hardknott on Saturday. Any thoughts on this? Good idea, or better to keep as fresh as poss before the big day?
    If you do fancy a leg loosener on the Saturday, after Hardknott turn down the Duddon valley to Ulpha. Turn right up Sella Brow (almost as steep as the first bit of Hardknott) over Birker fell. Then turn right at the King George pub back onto the Eskdale rd. Its a lovely couple of hours. The ride down the Duddon Valley is a joyous experience. 8). A few miles of no traffic (usually) and a general downhill trend.

just leave enough in the tank for the left hand corner after the hairpins on Sella Brow - its deceptively steep.
    The climb from Eskdale up Birker fell is a lovely little ride out too, even just as a there & back, with a diversion to Devoke water on foot.

Thanks - I have done this ride before, about 10 years ago. I'm in the Eskdale valley for a week so will probably save this one for the days after the Fred - it's a bit more of a leg loosener than I think I can handle the day before...
  • Well did my hardest ride this year last Sunday, doing around 65% of the Bowland Badass (if anyone knows of it)
    121miles, 11200ft at an AV of 17mph. Struggling near the end but on the whole fairly happy. Going to try and get up to Cumbria to do a couple of rides up there, one more around the fells of Lancashire (as well as midweek turbo work) then I should be set, I hope.. :shock:
  • 121miles, 11200ft at an AV of 17mph is good going Honey Badger. Nice work. Would have blown a gasket myself by then. My longest this year still only about 85miles.....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    121miles, 11200ft at an AV of 17mph is good going Honey Badger. Nice work. Would have blown a gasket myself by then. My longest this year still only about 85miles.....

Only 75 miles here... but I have done a few 35-40 miles rides in Italy with an average of 30-40 meters of climbing per Km, which is much higher than the Fred, so at least on the uphill front I feel OK
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ankles50
    Ankles50 Posts: 53
    Just did Flanders 237km with 2300m climbing (and cobbles) got Amstel Gold 240km and 4000m climbing next weekend and a spin around Rutland 185km before Whitton. Really looking forward to enjoying the scenery as I tap round, been many years since I was up that why enjoying the views
  • 1986sv
    1986sv Posts: 83
    I'm just doing laps of Mow Cop from now until the event
  • ugo.santalucia
    Managed 93 miles yesterday with a bit of climbing, although not a lot... 1600 mt or so... in just under 6 hours... felt good until the last hour... should have eaten more... it's always hard to carry enough food for a 6 hours ride... had 2 x 90 calories gels, then 2x flapjacks in Shipston Upon Stour, then another gel... probably 800-900 calories in total... used at least 3,000.

Next weekend should be 100 miles with 2.2 Km of climbing (aiming for 7 hours), the following 200 Km (8 hours) and then I'm done, tapering on the bank holiday weekend, maybe doing 70-80 miles.

On the technical front: changed brake cables today, new chain, fitted an even bigger cassette 12-36, might not like the sprockets, as they are different from the 11-34 I had before (12-14-16-18 Vs 11-13-15-17), we'll see...
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I was planning a flattish 100 miler on Saturday as I need to get some long rides in. A bit of Friday night fettling and #twang#, the rear derailleur cable goes. No problem, I've got a spare. Then I realise the cable stop has got stuck in the shifter and bolloxed the unit. And the cable ferrule has corroded on to the RD barrel adjuster......

So, another session in the garage on the turbo. Should be on the road again for next weekend, with a hilly century planned. Fingers crossed!
  • ugo.santalucia
    shazzz wrote:
    I was planning a flattish 100 miler on Saturday as I need to get some long rides in. A bit of Friday night fettling and #twang#, the rear derailleur cable goes. No problem, I've got a spare. Then I realise the cable stop has got stuck in the shifter and bolloxed the unit. And the cable ferrule has corroded on to the RD barrel adjuster......

So, another session in the garage on the turbo. Should be on the road again for next weekend, with a hilly century planned. Fingers crossed!

Annoying, luckily my shadox XT RD has no barrel adjuster that can get stuck... :mrgreen:
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    Hi, given all the chat about RD's I was hoping someone could confirm something for me. I am running 10sp shimano ultegra (short cage DR) but will be putting an 11-32 cassette on. From what I've read I think I may be okay with a medium cage RD like: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod85967

but I would get better performance across the cassette with this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod83162

Thanks in advance for any useful comments ;-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    MBCaad8 wrote:
    Hi, given all the chat about RD's I was hoping someone could confirm something for me. I am running 10sp shimano ultegra (short cage DR) but will be putting an 11-32 cassette on. From what I've read I think I may be okay with a medium cage RD like: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod85967

but I would get better performance across the cassette with this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod83162

yes, but the shadow has no barrel adjuster, so you have to fit an inline one.... it's not necesarily a bad thing, as they tend to get clogged, while if you have one close to the bars or the seat tube, it stays clean
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    On the 16-17 April weekend a couple of us are doing two loops of this as "rehersal" of the Fred. It's the toughest/steepest stuff I could find within an hour drive from here.

110 Km with 3 Km of climbing should do... if anyone local wants to join in, let me know

https://www.strava.com/routes/4563906

This is my home area and I ride these roads two or three times a week. I live just west of The Bog and Stiperstones. One loop of your route would be a very tough ride. Two loops would be a real achievement. The climb of Asterton bank is absolutely brutal - straight up single track with an unprotected drop to your left. I've only ridden up it once (on a touring bike with a triple) and the main problem is cars descending towards you. I maintained my position on the road, forcing them to stop for me, as there was little chance of me stopping and restarting.

The south Shropshire/Welsh border is paradise for cycling. I was out for a spin near Clun yesterday and caught up with some weary sportive riders plugging into an east headwind on their way back to Ludlow near the end of their ride. I rode for a while with a Scot on a Pinarello from Solihull (Olton), my childhood town, and he said how lucky I was to live round here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Mercia Man wrote:
    One loop of your route would be a very tough ride. Two loops would be a real achievement. The climb of Asterton bank is absolutely brutal - straight up single track with an unprotected drop to your left.

Plans have changed as my mate cannot make it to Shropshire (6 hours round trip by car for him), so we'll do a Cotswolds loop instead, which is not as brutal, but it has the distance

https://www.strava.com/routes/4613929

I am OK with brutal climbs, I have done a few brutes in Italy up and down (with averages over 12% for a few Km) and have just fitted a cassette that gives me a 1:1 ratio, which is basically MTB stuff, so if it's rideable, I can ride it.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I thought after my post that it might not be a great idea to ride Long Mynd, Asterton Bank and Stiperstones on a weekend as day tripper cars spoil your fun. I highly recommend South Shropshire for cycling - as long as you have low gears and a joy for climbing. The roads are normally very quiet. It's also a fantastic base for my other favourite sport of fell running.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Mercia Man wrote:
    I thought after my post that it might not be a great idea to ride Long Mynd, Asterton Bank and Stiperstones on a weekend as day tripper cars spoil your fun. I highly recommend South Shropshire for cycling - as long as you have low gears and a joy for climbing. The roads are normally very quiet. It's also a fantastic base for my other favourite sport of fell running.

Yeah, I worked out the double loop would take over 5 hours, throw in lunch at the cafe' and 6 hours drive and it's a very long day indeed... I only have 1 hour 15 to get to Church Stretton, so not as bad.
    Did a bit of Shropshire during the Autumn Epic a few years ago, although it did not take the big beasts

Paolo
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Did my toughest training run yesterday to prepare - from Kendal to Ambleside, into Little Langdale, up Wrynose the hard way (east to west), down to Ulpha via Cockly Beck and over Birker Fell, into Eskdale Green, over Hardknott and over Wrynose again, then back the way I came.
    Good grief I can feel it today - not necessarily stiff legs, they just feel lethargic as hell!

I'm staying in Eskdale Green w/c 25th April, so will be able to get around a few climbs in the penultimate week before the Fred - but not sure I want to do Hardknott too many times before the big day.

Oh and by the way, big bloody pot-hole on the Hardknott decent, so watch out folks!
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    MBCaad8 wrote:

yes, but the shadow has no barrel adjuster, so you have to fit an inline one.... it's not necesarily a bad thing, as they tend to get clogged, while if you have one close to the bars or the seat tube, it stays clean

Ugo - I was going to do something similar on 6700 10sp. Is your 10sp rear mech working ok, I thought you had to go 9sp mtb mechs because of the derailleur ratios? If 10sp also work I can get a shadow+ for similar money to the 9sp. See link...

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/
  • ugo.santalucia
    YES, sorry, yes, you do need the 9 speed one! Didn't notice the original link was for a 10 speed one. 9 Speed MTB derailleurs work for 9-10 speed road too, while 10 speed MTB derailleurs don't work for any road system
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    YES, sorry, yes, you do need the 9 speed one! Didn't notice the original link was for a 10 speed one. 9 Speed MTB derailleurs work for 9-10 speed road too, while 10 speed MTB derailleurs don't work for any road system

Ta! I'll stick with the original plan.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I really rate the XT shadow mech... it's more robust, stronger spring for crisp shift, easy to clean, never gets clogged with crap... great little thing
  • dean7879
    dean7879 Posts: 127
    may 8th really creeping up quick. I have been doing plenty of miles around shropshire and there are plenty of hills there to help me prepare.

Been pondering whether to whack on a 32 on the back or just stick with 28.mmm
  • Did the Fred route yesterday to see if I could get round and up all the climbs. Perhaps should have gone out on another day in hindsight. 20mph head wind all the way from Calder bridge and up both Hardnott & Wynrose. In fact I think it was probably touching 40mph head winds when I was attempting To get up Hardnott. Had to climb off when I hit the first real steep section. Almost impossible giving the conditions. I'm praying for lighter winds on the actual day to try. At least it was dry yesterday which is a godsend on all the steep descents.

Quick question, does anyone know if the organisers stop your time when you enter a food stop? Or does your time keep ticking away?
  • ugo.santalucia

Quick question, does anyone know if the organisers stop your time when you enter a food stop? Or does your time keep ticking away?

the time keeps ticking
  • lakesluddite
    Did the Fred route yesterday to see if I could get round and up all the climbs. Perhaps should have gone out on another day in hindsight. 20mph head wind all the way from Calder bridge and up both Hardnott & Wynrose. In fact I think it was probably touching 40mph head winds when I was attempting To get up Hardnott. Had to climb off when I hit the first real steep section. Almost impossible giving the conditions. I'm praying for lighter winds on the actual day to try. At least it was dry yesterday which is a godsend on all the steep descents.

You did all of it? That is a heck of a training ride! Chapeau.

Yeah, it was a breezy day up here yesterday - I had a headwind up Hardknott on sunday, but nothing like yesterday. Today is very dreich so perhaps yesterday was preferable.

And as Ugo said, the feedstops are not clocked, but there are only two so it won't take that long - plus the first one is right at the foot of Newlands Pass, which although not the hardest climb, you still don't want to be resting too much immediately beforehand (I won't make that mistake again!).

Interestingly there is another Sportive here in about 12 days time - The Lakeland Loop, which due to bridge closures has been extended to 86(ish) miles (from 66!), and that is basically the Fred without the loop around Derwent Water/Honister/Newlands - so good training for the Fred for anyone localish:

http://www.epicevents.co.uk/component/k ... april.html
  • Thanks for the info about the food stops. I thought that would be the case about the clock still running, otherwise everyone would spend an hour at each food stop getting their energy levels back!

Yeah it was a tough training ride doing the whole Fred route, but I just wanted to do the whole ride and get my head around it all and know the hard bits and the bits you can take it slightly easier and recover a bit.

Going back to the question about using either a 28 or 32 rear cassette. I'd go for the biggest you can fit, purely for getting up hardnotts. I used a 28 yesterday and struggled to get up. Although the strong headwind didn't help. Don't get me wrong, you could get up on a 28 with maximum determination, but for a bit of peace of mind I'd go with a 32.
  • lakesluddite
    I used a 34/28 the first few times I did Hardknott (including on the FW), and on sunday did it on 34/32 - I was still blowing like a blue whale up the steepest bits! The only difference seemed to be I was able to stay seated for more of the climb, I only really got out of the saddle to prevent the front end skipping around on the corners.
    From memory re Hardknott - you can be the best climber in the world, but there's little you can do when there is a procession of people either walking in the road or wobbling in front of you - so just beware of this, you might not get the riding line that you want.
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Only 3 weeks to go... Can't quite get my head around that - I'm sure it was closer to five weeks when I was supping those beers in the pub last night :shock:

I'm putting down 80 miles and 7,000ft of up on Sunday, taking in many of Surrey's finest, including Barhatch and Whitedown.

Then it's hill repeats and one final medium ride on the weekend before the event before rest.

Biggest concern by far at the mo is the bloody weather...