SPOTY

12346»

Comments

• No doubt Lizzie is wiping away the tears of disappointment at not winning some sub x-factor popularity contest with her rainbow jersey

Funnily enough, variations of that are being said by fans of every sport whose athlete(s) didnt win last night (except RL fans, who seem v pleased by Sinfield's 2nd place)

And was said last year. And will be said again next year.
    It keeps getting said because it's true. It's just another weekend primetime shiny floor show. The dynamics of it are no different to X Factor or Strictly. The BBC even marketed it alongside Strictly and the Apprentice. The last four winners are all managed by the creator of Pop Idol's company*.

*admittedly Wiggins won before joining them

And people will keep on watching it. And talking about it for months leading up to it (as soon as an athlete wins something big, for example, the SPOTY speculation starts). And talking about it for days afterwards. For every online comment, for every tweet about it (including yours), its a ratings winner. And athletes will continue to (in the main) turn up for it, both nominees and otherwise.

Whether you like it or not (and I suspect if Froome had been in the running with the bookies beforehand, you would have been more tranquilo perhaps :wink: ), its woven into the fabric of the end of years sports/shmorts thang. People have grown up watching it, and many continue to do so.

Ultimately, its the fans who bang on about their preferred athletes not winning (or being nominated), whilst the athletes get dolled up, get the drinks in and enjoy the post-SPOTY party
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    hmmm, I can only speak for myself obviously, but I have to admit that there is a large amount of nostalgic value to it for me. In many ways it's the start of Christmas. This was formed from when I was a nipper and the show was a proper review of the year when the BBC had rights to all the footage. No it's a series of lame promos (I mean good god the Froome one was dire!) and some 3 second clips that remind you how nice it would have been to see the full replay of that goal/try/point etc.

I watched it last night partly out of a sense of nostalgic duty (same reason Muppet Christmas Carol will make an appearance over the next few days) and because it was a larf with you lot on twitter.

I have nothing against Andy Murray, I actually quite like his dourness. But I don't think that anyone in Tennis really views the Davis Cup as the pinnacle of Tennis, yet a few genuine world champions (or equivalents) or superstars in their chosen sport received hardly anything.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited December 2015
    DP...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Disappointing that Fury was so high...

He got the UKIP/godsquad vote. .

Er, generalizing much? Why are these two things backslashed as if related? This isn't America.

Secondly, I don't know one supposed "God squad" person ( and I know several) who would support homophobia or sexism.

Finally, Tyson Fury is a ranting loon.

The best man won. And was even self-deprecating enough to make a joke at his own expense.

I put them together as they both promote intolerance. Or worse.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

He got the UKIP/godsquad vote. .

Er, generalizing much? Why are these two things backslashed as if related? This isn't America.

Secondly, I don't know one supposed "God squad" person ( and I know several) who would support homophobia or sexism.

Finally, Tyson Fury is a ranting loon.

The best man won. And was even self-deprecating enough to make a joke at his own expense.

I put them together as they both promote intolerance. Or worse.
    Just goes to show that bigotry works both ways :roll:
  • For the first time I can remember I didn't bother watching it. I wasn't that interested in the line up of probable winners to win and so it was Nativity 2 with the kids instead.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Delighted to see Andy Murray win, if only to noise up all the haters in this thread. Some with some fairly ludicrous and racist comments to be fair.

Get it right up ye's!

Also the people saying that Ennis-Hill hadn't done very much - aye, alright then pal. She only retained a world championship in a seven discipline event less than one year after giving birth... piece of cake, eh?

Yeah I wanted to see Armitstead and Froome place higher but it is what it is.

High level performance, but interesting how the press emphasize this as an impediment. Not that long ago that the East Germans were orchestrating it before major competitions because of the beneficial physiological effects it bestowed on athletes.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Delighted to see Andy Murray win, if only to noise up all the haters in this thread. Some with some fairly ludicrous and racist comments to be fair.

Get it right up ye's!

Also the people saying that Ennis-Hill hadn't done very much - aye, alright then pal. She only retained a world championship in a seven discipline event less than one year after giving birth... piece of cake, eh?

Yeah I wanted to see Armitstead and Froome place higher but it is what it is.

High level performance, but interesting how the press emphasize this as an impediment. Not that long ago that the East Germans were orchestrating it before major competitions because of the beneficial physiological effects it bestowed on athletes.

Errrr... it was alleged that East Germans were getting pregnant and aborting within the first trimester. That's quite different from carrying a child to term, giving birth and then learning to be a mother with all the challenges that involves...
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    I can't say I watched it - I just had it on in the background while I put the decorations up. Watched the couple of interesting bits and ignored the stuff I knew would irritate me.
    Tradition and all that - start of Christmas (and quite soon enough !)
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    The Davis Cup Tennis was on BBC TV and only recently so SPOTY is a certain for Murray.
    You can vote for who you like but you won't rub the BBC pencil out. (probably already engraved)

Edit
    Our "Enry", Sir Henry Cooper won twice and Damon Hill did also. So a second for Murray is on the cards.
    What's all the ranting a raving about.
    It's the frigging BBC and 20 days ago I should have said it's Engraved in GOLD.

I gave up watching the rubbish years ago and I only saw the outcome this morning on the News.
    Too much interest elsewhere than to watch yet another BBC Chat Programe.
    I'm just not that hard up for entertainment and I had a fantastic evenings viewing.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    FTFY

Quite who voted for Murray is beyond me. I have a strong dislike for the Scot for a whole number of reasons including wanting Scotland to vote for independence, the most monotonous voice in sport and a complete lack of charm and/or humour.
    Err.. The Scots?
    That could be true with only a few thousand votes counted from how many millions that live on this Island being covered by the BBC.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • I think its means more to the people who win it than the people who do not realise, I also bet you get some bitter sportsmen/women when they don't win 'how is him winning that better than me winning the worlds'. Winning it shows your achievement has been appreciated by the general public which i think it someone lots of sports start want to happen, that is a big part of the reason British and Aussie cyclists focus on the Olympics, in cycling terms winning a Classic is way bigger than winning a gold on the track but to the average joe on the street the olympics means more to them.

Wonder if it had been wiggins rather than Froome winning the Tour for the second time how many more votes he would have got?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I think its means more to the people who win it than the people who do not realise, I also bet you get some bitter sportsmen/women when they don't win 'how is him winning that better than me winning the worlds'. Winning it shows your achievement has been appreciated by the general public which i think it someone lots of sports start want to happen, that is a big part of the reason British and Aussie cyclists focus on the Olympics, in cycling terms winning a Classic is way bigger than winning a gold on the track but to the average joe on the street the olympics means more to them.

Wonder if it had been wiggins rather than Froome winning the Tour for the second time how many more votes he would have got?

he'd have easily won, but that says more about how its a contest of public popularity than pure sporting accomplishment, I voted for Lizzie, not that I have against Froomey, but I wasnt under any illusions that she'd win or be in the top 3 because the Great British public dont really know her or anything about her, whereas they are more familiar with Jessica Ennis, married had a baby etc,and because she pops up in every ad break it seems
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I can't really hold the fact that Murray supported independence against him either - fair enough I disagree but he's entitled to his opinion (and it happens to be the same opinion as 45% of the voters in the referendum so it's clearly a sizeable minority).

Still don't really like him mind!
  • People, I think everyone's missed the important thing here. Roadpainter backed Murray at 20:1, so beers are on him.

You git, RoadPainter :P

Mine's a G&T, ice and a slice
    If I ever make it to a BR drinks, I'll shout a round!