Donald Trump

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

Not really given US views on abortions.

Disgusting and abhorrent but not that remarkable

He only represents an extreme fringe. But just like, I don't know, Brexiteers, they shout louder.
  • What's worse is that they give legitimacy to the rabid extremes even if they were voted in by moderates for reasonable reasons.

That's the main issue with these people.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,550
    The reaction of Trump and his cronies to defeat was so predictable I'm pretty sure there were people on here suggesting pretty much the current scenario.

The Russians must be loving the destabilising effect this will be having and the probable breakdown in trust in the democratic process.
  • The problem is that cronyism, lies, and appalling behaviour are now the expected norm and no longer a punishable offense either by the criminal courts (govt handling of PPE & public sector contracts or by the electorate ( 3 X Tory govt).

It's lose lose and depressing.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

The reaction of Trump and his cronies to defeat was so predictable I'm pretty sure there were people on here suggesting pretty much the current scenario.

The Russians must be loving the destabilising effect this will be having and the probable breakdown in trust in the democratic process.

It was very foreseeable as you say.
    I had personally suggested a long time back that Covid would be the excuse to avoid an election and use some sort of emergency power to extend his presidency.
    Obviously not how it panned out, but the point being it could be predicted he would use any tactic to retain his position.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    From the infamous second amendment.

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

I wonder at what point this militia will have to rise.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    lol mate they're trolling you. The joke is on you if you think they're serious.
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2020

I've heard the exact same arguments made by various Trump campaign officials. They were absolutely being serious. The genius thing was a new one though. 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2020
    pblakeney said:

I've heard the exact same arguments made by various Trump campaign officials. They were absolutely being serious. The genius thing was a new one though. 🤣🤣🤣
    No, mate. Seriously.

Think of all the shortfalls and the coopsters of this world who get all upset that people think their voting for or supporting x makes them stupid right?

All this stuff does is to reinforce that message for people who are already sympathetic to the idea they're stupid. They like having this shared millions of times. It helps keep that division. They're in on the joke. The joke is you think they're serious.

Don't you get that?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2020
    "Are you filming?" and then delivers the line. Come on. Don't be so naïve. The alt-right has been trolling people online successfully for almost 20 years - they're good at it and Trump is their troller in chief.

His mate is filming it for his own mates so they can laugh at how the interviewer fell for it.
  • pblakeney
    They like me thinking they are stupid?
    Happy to oblige.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2020
    pblakeney said:

They like me thinking they are stupid?
    Happy to oblige.

https://www.vox.com/2016/11/23/13659634/alt-right-trolling

They want you to think they're stupid so you dismiss what they're actually saying.

They're saying what they want clear as day ( a coup) and rather than being worried, because Trump is a genius with a j, you ignore them.

There's even a troll in the Trump's a jenius line - he's not your usual genius, he's a genius in trolling, so you say jenius to get a rise out of the mainstream folk who don't get it.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I wonder how the people in the vid would view people thousands of miles away getting worked up over it on cycle forum?
    Stupid perhaps?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2020

I wonder how the people in the vid would view people thousands of miles away getting worked up over it on cycle forum?
    Stupid perhaps?

yeah quite. It's something I've been reading about recently and I'm sure i've fallen for it at various times, so i figured i'd share the thinking.

Honestly, that vox article is really good on it. Explains exactly what's going on here.
  • I wonder how the people in the vid would view people thousands of miles away getting worked up over it on cycle forum?
    Stupid perhaps?

yeah quite. It's something I've been reading about recently and I'm sure i've fallen for it at various times, so i figured i'd share the thinking.

Honestly, that vox article is really good on it. Explains exactly what's going on here.
    You are over thinking it. The reporters job is to get footage of Trump supporters saying something interesting. Going into the crowd he will meet true fruit loops who will give a real eye swivelling performance and he will also meet people (usually drunk young men) who will be having a laugh and/or trying to get on TV
  • rick_chasey
    Honestly, read the vox article.
  • The media should be most concerned about the guy trying to get elections certified showing the person who lost as the winner. And the party still supporting that effort.

If there is no shame in doing that, there's no democracy.
  • Honestly, read the vox article.

I did, I just don't think it is part of a well orchestrated plan. That reporter went into a crowd looking for good footage, you must have seen the same with football crowds. They don't interview somebody who thinks the full backs should push on and the centre backs play closer together they go for the full on loony. That does not mean there is a well orchestrated plan to make all football fans look like loonies.

You may think that Coopster is part of a worldwide plot but I think it more likely that he is a bored pensioner with the time on his hands to research provocative viewpoints on key subjects and adopt them on here.
  • rick_chasey
    lol the trolls are not organised. Nevermind.

All I would say when you come across stuff that sounds ultra stupid but are pushing extremist views, listen to their views - they mean it.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Lets just all agree that Trump is a complete c-unit and move on.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I often think of this description of Johnny Vegas' early performances, where he put together an utterly ridiculous persona of having been a redcoat in the early seventies who was a master potter.

Then he got a potter's wheel on stage, and because that was true, people started believing all of it.

Make a story have enough believable points in it, and make it something people want to believe, and you can convince them.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2020
    the guy in the video above is a comedian FYI.

• lol the trolls are not organised. Nevermind.

All I would say when you come across stuff that sounds ultra stupid but are pushing extremist views, listen to their views - they mean it.

most of them yes but it is also very easy for me to join my local facebook discussion on 5G masts near parks and ask them how else THEY are going to monitor the microchips that Gates is injecting us with.

Is your point that there are some organised groups exploiting the mentally weak?
  • pblakeney

They want you to think they're stupid so you dismiss what they're actually saying.

Well, yes I am happy to determine them and their like as stupid and ignore them. Why should I waste my time on them? Trouble being that not enough people ignore them. Trolls need feeding. That all changes when they get some power. Trump for example, that's when stupid has to be paid attention to.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pblakeney said:

Well, yes I am happy to determine them and their like as stupid and ignore them. Why should I waste my time on them? Trouble being that not enough people ignore them. Trolls need feeding. That all changes when they get some power. Trump for example, that's when stupid has to be paid attention to.
    Says a man who watched them and then bothered to comment. ;)

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Says a man who watched them and then bothered to comment. ;)

It was the laughing emojis that made me do it. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote: