Donald Trump

Comments

• Why is this controversial? Everybody with a television knew about C19 in January, it is inconceivable that the head of any State would know less than a casual viewer of the news.
    His statements about how it is just like the flu, it's a hoax, it's just because the impeachment didn't work, it will soon be down to zero, it will all be over by April - they weren't just him riffing without any knowledge. Not just him being Trump and not listening to briefings. That was deliberately misleading his public, and cost lives.
    Hopefully the actual interview recordings will be leaked. Otherwise will just be shouted down as fake news by a democrat journalist.
    He's released some of them already.

Feb 7

Catching Trump saying awful things on tape did......nothing in the last election.

Look closer to home. If your side in the culture war says black is white and up is done people will just agree.

No different there.
    Not sure. Depends what else there is. 200,000 dead people will have several million bereaved relatives. As will however many million unemployed people (probably more important to your average American).

What strikes me is that Biden is barely campaigning at all. It is being done for him.
    The death rate must be roughly in line with the UK yet nobody suggests the polls are being influenced by grieving relatives of those killed by Boris’s mishandling of the pandemic.
    They literally are. It's just not an election year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,718

Why is this controversial? Everybody with a television knew about C19 in January, it is inconceivable that the head of any State would know less than a casual viewer of the news.
    His statements about how it is just like the flu, it's a hoax, it's just because the impeachment didn't work, it will soon be down to zero, it will all be over by April - they weren't just him riffing without any knowledge. Not just him being Trump and not listening to briefings. That was deliberately misleading his public, and cost lives.
    Hopefully the actual interview recordings will be leaked. Otherwise will just be shouted down as fake news by a democrat journalist.

Feb 7

Catching Trump saying awful things on tape did......nothing in the last election.

Look closer to home. If your side in the culture war says black is white and up is done people will just agree.

No different there.
    Not sure. Depends what else there is. 200,000 dead people will have several million bereaved relatives. As will however many million unemployed people (probably more important to your average American).

What strikes me is that Biden is barely campaigning at all. It is being done for him.
    The death rate must be roughly in line with the UK yet nobody suggests the polls are being influenced by grieving relatives of those killed by Boris’s mishandling of the pandemic.
    Aren't Tories still polling ahead of Labour?
  • Why is this controversial? Everybody with a television knew about C19 in January, it is inconceivable that the head of any State would know less than a casual viewer of the news.

Feb 7

No different there.

But if we had a GE do you think Boris would lose?
  • Is it stupid o'clock?

Labour were absolutely savaged at an election in 2019 because they had Bungle from Rainbow in charge. They are now polling much closer, at least in part because the government has handled coronavirus badly.

In the US, it is a bipartisan system where each side is guaranteed between about 47-53% of the vote no matter what happens. In the context of that system, it is entirely possible that analogous sentiments may be significant given that it is an election year.

That clear enough?

Feb 7

No different there.
    Might be different if he's killed your mom
    Mmm not convinced. Tribalism runs deep.

He's odds on to lose, but he was last time and the chances of him winning are still 2 in 5 right now.

Democrats need to get people out voting. Heard some rumours the Republican campaign is having to pull adds because they're running out of money.

In an ideal world that means Republicans also can't afford a ground game to help get their vote out.

The idea you can persuade material numbers of people in the states to switch from Rep to Dem is fanciful.

If you voted for Trump last time I can't see any good reason why you would suddenly vote Biden this time. Trump is exactly what everyone thought he would be.
    They only need to persuade some Republican voters that Trump isn't worth voting for. Not necessarily to vote for Biden. And also get Democrat voters to go the polls.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020

Is it stupid o'clock?

Labour were absolutely savaged at an election in 2019 because they had Bungle from Rainbow in charge. They are now polling much closer, at least in part because the government has handled coronavirus badly.

In the US, it is a bipartisan system where each side is guaranteed between about 47-53% of the vote no matter what happens. In the context of that system, it is entirely possible that analogous sentiments may be significant given that it is an election year.

That clear enough?

The odds are on your side - it is more likely Trump will lose than win, but the idea that there are things that make a material number of people change their mind away from Trump seems to me as quite fanciful. More likely, some people just won't vote this time around, having been let down by Trump.

I cannot see enough people logically moving from voting Trump to voting Biden. It just doesn't make any sense.
  • Is it stupid o'clock?

That clear enough?

Ooh stupid twitter does not like it when somebody does not join in collective b1tchfest.

In your third paragraph you are arguing against yourself.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    [put the handbags away girls]

No one is considering the ethnic vote nor the usual non voters. I think he's pi$$ed off so many black Americans and muslims that their vote could swing things.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney said:

pinno said:

150,000 new gun sales per day.
    Militia's everywhere.
    Teetering on the edge?

...and we're hoping bigly trade deals to bail us out after Brexit.

According to a podcast that I listen to L.A. is on the verge of melt down and those that can are leaving. The rich have already left N.Y.
    You do realise LA is under Democrat control?

As is NY
  • Is it stupid o'clock?

That clear enough?

Ooh stupid twitter does not like it when somebody does not join in collective b1tchfest.

In your third paragraph you are arguing against yourself.
    Yep, definitely. Quarter past stupid now.

Badly handling a crisis influences polls. Very straightforward.

The US only ever has a small number of floating voters, but people do shift between parties. People also decide not to vote at all if they can't quite bring themselves to vote for the "other guys". I would say that a "material change" is one that is relevant to the overall result, and not necessarily the magnitude of the change. In which case the colossal cock-up this year could result in a material change to voting patterns. All it takes is a couple of point swing.
  • Is it stupid o'clock?

That clear enough?

The odds are on your side - it is more likely Trump will lose than win, but the idea that there are things that make a material number of people change their mind away from Trump seems to me as quite fanciful. More likely, some people just won't vote this time around, having been let down by Trump.

I cannot see enough people logically moving from voting Trump to voting Biden. It just doesn't make any sense.
    No, but they can not vote at all.

I have a hunch that a lot of Republicans will quietly hope that he loses, to save more lasting and long term damage. Biden is clearly a one-term guy so its almost a free hit.
  • Is it stupid o'clock?

That clear enough?

I have a hunch that a lot of Republicans will quietly hope that he loses, to save more lasting and long term damage. Biden is clearly a one-term guy so its almost a free hit.
    They will hold their nose and vote Republican.

try and think what it would take for SteveO not to vote Tory and then imagine a whole country who see politics in such a tribal/binary fashion
  • Is it stupid o'clock?

That clear enough?

It requires a competent replacement to be a free hit. Biden was this option 10 years ago but due to his age is now very high risk.

This is why I believe this is a 50/50 election as Trump is going to try to expose this weakness in Biden
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

This is why I believe this is a 50/50 election as Trump is going to try to expose this weakness in Biden

After all, Biden's a massive 3 whole years older!

... and for that matter not as obviously demented as Trump.
  • This is why I believe this is a 50/50 election as Trump is going to try to expose this weakness in Biden

If Biden wins he will be the oldest candidate to win a first term.

Any Trump issues are known and are reflected in the polls. Biden's are only suspected but if they become apparent the polls will shift quickly to reflect this. You can continue to sit there in denial about this but this is the reality.
  • This is why I believe this is a 50/50 election as Trump is going to try to expose this weakness in Biden

If Biden wins he will be the oldest candidate to win a first term.

Any Trump issues are known and are reflected in the polls. Biden's are only suspected but if they become apparent the polls will shift quickly to reflect this. You can continue to sit there in denial about this but this is the reality.
    I can't see how there is anyone who would be currently supporting Biden, and would shift to Trump for reasons of "mental acuity". He was recently asked about the poisoning of the Navalny "what is your message to Russia about that". His answer included the sentence "If Hillary got elected, you'd be at war right now with North Korea, and it would be a very messy war, a very bad war, many millions of people would be killed".

I might try and find the speech where he was distracted by a mosquito.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,679

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Just shows how messed up the world is when someone decides to start promoting trump for a nobel peace prize.

As pointed out by someone else, any member of any national parliament may nominate anyone. It's not that he's made the shortlist.
    Oh, so I just need to ask a friend of a friend for a favour and I could be a nobel prize for chemistry nominee? Would be nice for the CV.
    Not quite. That only applies to the Nobel Peace Prize. If you are mates with your local MP you might be able to get a nomination. I think there are others who can nominate as well. Nomination only looks impressive if you are not aware that the bar for nomination is so low.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    Roll on the TV debates - that's crunch time.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    Here’s some context: NFL started last night. Players lined up from both teams and linked arms in a “moment of unity” as a way of recognising all the black lives matter stuff.

Anyway, they got booed.

States is a looooong way from being ok
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    edited September 2020
    America sneezes, the World catches a cold?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54126226
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

America sneezes, the World catches a cold?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54126226

They should be spending more.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    WTF? I guess that shows that if you control the popular media and get your message out you can manipulate the ignorant to believe anything.
  • "especially liked Trump's commitment to reducing the national debt". I guess the Republicans might move back in favour of that after January 2021.
  • If you want to know just how deranged, and detached from reality the GOP has become, try to explain this...

• If you want to know just how deranged, and detached from reality the GOP has become, try to explain this...

Just as well Trump put in the travel ban from China and Europe in March, otherwise the USA might have had a bad outbreak.
  • I'm so relieved that the leader of the free world is using his time wisely, explaining forest fires to people who aren't as busy or intelligent as he is.

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    I wonder if he knows that leaves breakdown and become soil over time. I also wonder if he has ever compared the grounds staff at one of his golf courses with the area and scaled it up to a single forrest nevermind a country.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,258
    edited September 2020
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    So that's where Butthead went! 🤣🤣🤣

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.