Donald Trump

Comments

• pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Standardisation is always going to be a challenge with things as big as the NHS. I think a lot of the problems in discussing it are 1 person's anecdotal experience doesn't agree with another person's, so they just argue rather than acknowledge they might both be telling the truth about what they experienced.

Eh?
    Which bit?

Bob says NHS is sh!t. Frank says it's great. Bob really did had a terrible experience with his specific GP / consultant / nurse / whatever. Frank had a great one. Argument ensues.

It is hard for any org that big to provide a consistent service, of whatever level.
    The argument part.

My mum and dad both relatively recently had fantastic care. I didn't. I'm not arguing with myself either.
  • pinno said:

I have attended/stayed in the following hospitals:

The Hammersmith
    Bristol - St Micheals
    Cheltenham General
    Glasgow Royal
    The Golden Jubilee, Glasgow
    Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary
    Oxford Nuffield and
    The Edinburgh Western

With a contrast in experiences.

...nut none of that is relevant to this thread.

Can we get back on topic please?

Sorry. I did say that it would make an interesting thread all by itself.

Anyhow. The Fourth Reich. How's that going today? Herr Trump has recommended padding the ballots in swing states I hear.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,318

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Standardisation is always going to be a challenge with things as big as the NHS. I think a lot of the problems in discussing it are 1 person's anecdotal experience doesn't agree with another person's, so they just argue rather than acknowledge they might both be telling the truth about what they experienced.

Eh?
    Which bit?

Bob says NHS is sh!t. Frank says it's great. Bob really did had a terrible experience with his specific GP / consultant / nurse / whatever. Frank had a great one. Argument ensues.

It is hard for any org that big to provide a consistent service, of whatever level.
    The argument part.

My mum and dad both relatively recently had fantastic care. I didn't. I'm not arguing with myself either.
    Sure, I meant more you see people who don't know each other arguing about whether it is good or not online. Anyway, not very Trump related as Pinno says.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    Did you have a debate with yourself whether or not to put this in the irony thread? 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,941
    edited September 2020
    Definitely not in the best possible taste... but the Lincoln Project folk are having vicious fun...

• Definitely not in the best possible taste... but the Lincoln Project folk are having vicious fun...

Could make a forum version using Rick's posts
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54045115

I find this amusing! I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere.
  • morstar said:

It's been called "Dumbkirk" on Twitter.
  • pblakeney
    morstar said:

Trump's support is sinking!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Just shows how messed up the world is when someone decides to start promoting trump for a nobel peace prize.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,377
    150,000 new gun sales per day.
    Militia's everywhere.
    Teetering on the edge?

...and we're hoping bigly trade deals to bail us out after Brexit.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

150,000 new gun sales per day.
    Militia's everywhere.
    Teetering on the edge?

...and we're hoping bigly trade deals to bail us out after Brexit.

According to a podcast that I listen to L.A. is on the verge of melt down and those that can are leaving. The rich have already left N.Y.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Trump's support is sinking!
    All to do with the kind of hulls guys down there typically buy and the speed at which they were told to go.

They’re not displacement hulls so to keep the wake low you either need to go really slow or fast - they instead set the speed at 10mph which is near to maximum drag for these things.

Plus they were all going in the same direction - so you’ll get some pretty big waves at various points.
  • Why is this controversial? Everybody with a television knew about C19 in January, it is inconceivable that the head of any State would know less than a casual viewer of the news.
  • pblakeney

Why is this controversial?

His later denials.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,703
    john80 said:

Just shows how messed up the world is when someone decides to start promoting trump for a nobel peace prize.

As pointed out by someone else, any member of any national parliament may nominate anyone. It's not that he's made the shortlist.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Why is this controversial? Everybody with a television knew about C19 in January, it is inconceivable that the head of any State would know less than a casual viewer of the news.
    His statements about how it is just like the flu, it's a hoax, it's just because the impeachment didn't work, it will soon be down to zero, it will all be over by April - they weren't just him riffing without any knowledge. Not just him being Trump and not listening to briefings. That was deliberately misleading his public, and cost lives.
  • rjsterry said:

john80 said:

As pointed out by someone else, any member of any national parliament may nominate anyone. It's not that he's made the shortlist.
    Oh, so I just need to ask a friend of a friend for a favour and I could be a nobel prize for chemistry nominee? Would be nice for the CV.
    His statements about how it is just like the flu, it's a hoax, it's just because the impeachment didn't work, it will soon be down to zero, it will all be over by April - they weren't just him riffing without any knowledge. Not just him being Trump and not listening to briefings. That was deliberately misleading his public, and cost lives.
    Hopefully the actual interview recordings will be leaked. Otherwise will just be shouted down as fake news by a democrat journalist.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Am reminded how Obama got given it by not being Bush.

In hindsight doesn't look so good...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    edited September 2020

Why is this controversial? Everybody with a television knew about C19 in January, it is inconceivable that the head of any State would know less than a casual viewer of the news.
    Hopefully the actual interview recordings will be leaked. Otherwise will just be shouted down as fake news by a democrat journalist.
    He's released some of them already.

Feb 7

• rick_chasey

Why is this controversial? Everybody with a television knew about C19 in January, it is inconceivable that the head of any State would know less than a casual viewer of the news.

Feb 7

Catching Trump saying awful things on tape did......nothing in the last election.

Look closer to home. If your side in the culture war says black is white and up is done people will just agree.

No different there.

Feb 7

Catching Trump saying awful things on tape did......nothing in the last election.

Look closer to home. If your side in the culture war says black is white and up is done people will just agree.

No different there.
    Might be different if he's killed your mom

Feb 7

No different there.
    Not sure. Depends what else there is. 200,000 dead people will have several million bereaved relatives. As will however many million unemployed people (probably more important to your average American).

What strikes me is that Biden is barely campaigning at all. It is being done for him.
  • rick_chasey

Feb 7

No different there.
    Might be different if he's killed your mom
    Mmm not convinced. Tribalism runs deep.

He's odds on to lose, but he was last time and the chances of him winning are still 2 in 5 right now.

Democrats need to get people out voting. Heard some rumours the Republican campaign is having to pull adds because they're running out of money.

In an ideal world that means Republicans also can't afford a ground game to help get their vote out.

The idea you can persuade material numbers of people in the states to switch from Rep to Dem is fanciful.

If you voted for Trump last time I can't see any good reason why you would suddenly vote Biden this time. Trump is exactly what everyone thought he would be.

Feb 7

No different there.
    Not sure. Depends what else there is. 200,000 dead people will have several million bereaved relatives. As will however many million unemployed people (probably more important to your average American).

What strikes me is that Biden is barely campaigning at all. It is being done for him.
    He is campaigning, he has a policy platform, he's doing speeches. He's spending a lot on TV ads.

He's not doing rallies or getting out like it's a normal year like Trump is trying to because, well, you know.

And Trump is using official press conferences for campaigning, which will get coverage. The media loves covering Trump, he's always giving them a story.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Feb 7

No different there.

Boho set the precedent.

Feb 7

No different there.

The death rate must be roughly in line with the UK yet nobody suggests the polls are being influenced by grieving relatives of those killed by Boris’s mishandling of the pandemic.