Donald Trump

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    Having had direct experience unfortunately of deterioration due to vascular dementia of a parent and due to alzheimers of a close family friend, the forgetfulness, the lack of awareness, the confusion, the outbursts, I observe der Drumpf and think 'hmmm'.

Removed from office before the end of his term, odds on methinks.
  • Pross wrote:
    Bigger issue is about half of Americans would agree with him.

Surely this is the reason he says everything he says though? It's all about saying what he thinks most voters want to hear rather than necessarily what he believes (although there may be overlap).

I don't think he can think like that.

He just blurts stuff out. Sometimes it hits the mark, other times it doesn't.

I think it's past time to stop thinking he is playing the game and saying what people want to hear. Unless he's reading it out, it's what he thinks, and it just comes out of his mouth. If you doubt it, remember that speech he made to the boy scouts jamboree, and tell me that was part of some grand calculation.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I think it's past time to stop thinking he is playing the game

So tell us what we should be thinking - that would be more helpful than allowing us independent thoughts.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    orraloon wrote:
    Having had direct experience unfortunately of deterioration due to vascular dementia of a parent and due to alzheimers of a close family friend, the forgetfulness, the lack of awareness, the confusion, the outbursts, I observe der Drumpf and think 'hmmm'.

Removed from office before the end of his term, odds on methinks.

I suspect he'll do a deal with Mueller's team - avoid questioning by stepping down, citing FTD as the reason. He'll probably avoid prison that way, too..
  • FishFish
    Pross wrote:

the new Embassy, that it is more secure and that it was self-funding

The new Embassy is certainly more secure and it is an elegant architecture and it is in a nice place. And there is no need for him to come and open it - he is the President of a country and has better things to do.

I know you are a great professor but under no circumstances is an embassy ever self funding.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    FishFish wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    “Shithole countries.”
    Classy. Presidential. No.

Not quite - certainly not diplomatic but increasingly presidential. Putin and Duterte are heads of high population countries and listen to them.
    I lived in West Africa for some time - in Gambia - and even the locals would agree that characteristic for their country.
    Quite a lot of people do not welcome the risk of an increased population and a diminishing number of countries are willing to accept one. He is reflecting that view.

What is the collective noun for c**ts? I'm sure you'll know.
    Cofeve?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • FishFish wrote:

So tell us what we should be thinking - that would be more helpful than allowing us independent thoughts.

OK, I already did in the bit you cut out, but I'm happy to repeat to help you understand.

Unless he's reading a prepared statement, what he says is what he thinks.
  • FishFish
    Imposter wrote:

I suspect he'll do a deal with Mueller's team - avoid questioning by stepping down, citing FTD as the reason. He'll probably avoid prison that way, too..

The word ( or more accurately the words) 'cite' is an auto-antonym. We don't get many of them here.

• FishFish
    FishFish wrote:

OK, I already did in the bit you cut out, but I'm happy to repeat to help you understand.

Unless he's reading a prepared statement, what he says is what he thinks.

You may have missed the point of what I was saying. Never mind. (feel free to interpret the last two words as you wish).

• imposter2.0
    FishFish wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

The word ( or more accurately the words) 'cite' is an auto-antonym. We don't get many of them here.

Concentrate on improving your Russian first, fishbotski...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    FishFish wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    ... the new Embassy, that it is more secure and that it was self-funding
    ... but under no circumstances is an embassy ever self funding.
    Depends on what is meant by self funding. Will it pay for itself and all of the staff for ever more? No. But if by self funding he meant does the sale of the old embassy buildings cover the cost of the new development? Possibly, I don't know the details of the deal. There may be more involved in that they have invested in more of the Nine Elms development, pretty sure that will generate more than a couple of quid.
  • FishFish wrote:
    Pross wrote:

The new Embassy is certainly more secure and it is an elegant architecture and it is in a nice place. And there is no need for him to come and open it - he is the President of a country and has better things to do.

I know you are a great professor but under no circumstances is an embassy ever self funding.

Where you from? Nine Elms Lane isn't exactly Mayfair.

I can understand him wanting his embassy to be close to his core supporters.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    170911-cox-bots-politics-tease_hflhdh
  • imposter2.0

Putting the US Embassy in Alabama is not really an option...
  • Imposter wrote:

Putting the US Embassy in Alabama is not really an option...

Core supporters, not core voters.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    FishFish wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Trump prefered the location of the existing embassy. Obviously there is no need for him to come and open it but that isn't the story, it's more that he is clearly lying about why he cancelled it.

Also, a UN human rights spokesman has called him out for his 'sh*thole' comment, a new low even for him. The fact he has such little understanding of why people from "countries hit by natural disasters, war or epidemics" would want to go to the US, and why people from Norway aren't quite so keen shows how much of a deplorable moron he really is.
    "According to the Post, Mr Trump told lawmakers the US should instead be taking in migrants from countries like Norway, whose prime minister visited him a day earlier.

The paper quoted him as saying: "Why do we need more Haitians? Take them out.""

Have a quick think about that and he might answer his own question.

He has a similar limited world view as my elderly relatives which is hardly surprising from a grandfather in his 70s but I also don't trust my nan to make a phonecall let alone run a world superpower. Even if you are sympathetic to some of his policies, surely no one can possibly think he is fit to run a country?!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Pross wrote:

Surely this is the reason he says everything he says though? It's all about saying what he thinks most voters want to hear rather than necessarily what he believes (although there may be overlap). I'm sure someone must have explained to him that the Bush administration commissioned the new Embassy, that it is more secure and that it was self-funding but it's far better for his personal ambitions to make it into an Obama f**k up.

On another note, did anyone see the Miriam Margoyles documentary the other night? She was talking to 'preppers' in the Tennessee mountains who are obviously a bit paranoid about nuclear war and yet they all voted Trump who is probably the person on earth most likely to cause a nuclear war. Even before they said they voted Trump I guessed that as a bunch of gun toting, paranoid lunatics convinced that the world bank and world order were going to cause destruction that would be the way their politics would lean. They may well be right and it is more likely Armageddon comes from a financial crash than a nuclear war but the fact they think a person who lives off inherited billions and loses money is the right man for that situation sums up the target audience.

Yep. Newsnight reported from Pennsylvania last night. The people there like Trump and the foibles/sexual harassment claims/inconsistencies seem to actually go in his favour. This despite absolutely no obvious improvement to their lifestyles or employment prospects since Trump promised them all sorts.
    This was the steel producing heartland of the US and things will not change there unless the US started to subsidise the industry heavily which won't happen but even then, the market for Detroit and the car/ship/rail industry no longer exists on that scale. They must be stupid to have been sold the idea that things would return (even remotely) to the glory days.

They even thought the tax cuts was a good thing despite every indication that it suited the wealthy more then the poor.
    (I guess they are only interested in the sound bite or the headline and don't bother with the small print - most significant I think).

The long term problem is that when the people's president has failed to deliver his promises on the economy and they no longer believe him, you will have a huge percentage of the population that become totally disillusioned with the system of government.
    I wonder what percentage of the population who wouldn't normally vote voted for Trump and I wonder who usually voted but didn't. It would be an interesting thing.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I know more about wedges than any human being that’s lived.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    FishFish wrote:
    Pross wrote:

The construction of the embassy was self-funded by the sale of the existing embassy and other buildings (with the existing embassy being located in one of the most valuable pieces of land in the world). The running costs are the running costs and fairly unrelated to the building. Unfortunately your software seems to have a problem understanding context.

As for Trump not coming for the opening, I think that's what the majority of Brits want so its actually a good announcement and yes, he has better things to do like avoiding being jailed!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I know more about wedges than any human being that’s lived.

The Dotard, Emperor of the Idiots is also great mates with Mad Kim McMad but he's never actually spoken to him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01 ... igrants-s/

Scroll to the very bottom. It's actually quite funny.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Pross wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    The construction of the embassy was self-funded by the sale of the existing embassy and other buildings (with the existing embassy being located in one of the most valuable pieces of land in the world).
    Any idiot could see that was what you meant, even I worked it out.
    And to think Fish² likes to complain about the quality of other posts. :roll:
  • FishFish
    I think that the Embassy was bought by the Qatari Sovreign fund a couple of years ago and I think the cost was quoted at half a billion. The new embassy cost about 50% more.

I may not be a Great Professor but that seems make the deal a bit poor - something like The President suggested.

The issue of the land value has to take into account if it is leased. I know that area was owned by the Grosvenor Estate - the Duke of Westminster.

Actually I don't complain about the quality of posts - but I do remark about the quality of thinking. I have to be careful because I'm in the presence of Great Professors.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    You're right FF, the $1bn cost for the Nine Elms Embassy is more than £500M that the US Government sold the old embassy for. However they didn't just sell the Grosvenor Square building. No professors, just basic reading.
    BTW the Grosvenor Square building has depreciated as it has now been listed. So maybe not such a bad deal after all.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    You're right FF, the $1bn cost for the Nine Elms Embassy is more than £500M that the US Government sold the old embassy for. However they didn't just sell the Grosvenor Square building. No professors, just basic reading.
    BTW the Grosvenor Square building has depreciated as it has now been listed. So maybe not such a bad deal after all.

Was a nightmare trying to get into that embassy.

Weren’t allowed anything electronic, not even car keys, electric watches, the lot.

All the shops nearby made more money as lockers than they did selling their wares.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Amazing that the last page of posts has been about a building when trump has called Africa’s and Haitian countries as shit holes, and said he would welcome immigration from Norway (a predominantly blond blue eyed country) over them. Trumps dream comes true, people ignore the hate over material things :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    Amazing that the last page of posts has been about a building when trump has called Africa’s and Haitian countries as shoot holes, and said he would welcome immigration from Norway (a predominantly blond blue eyed country) over them. Trumps dream comes true, people ignore the hate over material things :(
    True enough. There's only so much BS you can wade through.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Amazing that the last page of posts has been about a building when trump has called Africa’s and Haitian countries as shoot holes, and said he would welcome immigration from Norway (a predominantly blond blue eyed country) over them. Trumps dream comes true, people ignore the hate over material things :(
    Not so much ignored as accepted as who he is.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Not so much ignored as accepted as who he is.
    That’s the danger I guess, that people in a position to change things in the US grow immune to hate speech and just accept it, then the world has changed forever.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rick_chasey
    We’re not immune.

We’ve all been clear Trump is a racist, and that’s what he meant when he said that.

I can’t continue to be shocked by proclamations that confirm what I already knew.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

It's partly because he's coming out with too much randomness for us to keep up with.

It's like he's had to much espresso/speed and is just coming out with bizarreness at a million miles an hour.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.