Donald Trump

Comments

• I thought the whole point of Nato is to coordinate defence capabilities such that strengths of one nation's armed forces are developed and other areas covered better by other nations get less development. Could be completely wrong.

Whatever the situation is no nato nation is self sufficient apart from USA. That's kind of by design surely. Suits America I reckon.

The other point if American hard power is it's by policy. If other nation's spending has any effect on that I'd be very surprised. If all NATO countries suddenly had all the latest kit I bet America would want to spend more to be further clear of the rest.

Either way that doesn't stop trump threatening other nations so openly and petulantly being a stupid act of diplomacy. He's a joke! No other words for him.

Nope there are no co-ordinated defence policies.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ...well there was an agreement that NATO members would increase expenditure on defence which was made in the 80's I think. It was sort of superceded by the absolute 2% GDP expenditure but neither is taken seriously.
    There are no co-ordinated policies nor is there a need for any but the principal of NATO - attack one of us and you attack us all is practiced. For example during the Malvinas conflict the German Navy sailed a battleship round the UK for a few weeks and thus demonstrated the principal in action to the great relief of the British people.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    FishFish wrote:
    ...For example during the Malvinas conflict the German Navy sailed a battleship round the UK for a few weeks and thus demonstrated the principal in action to the great relief of the British people.
    Could be true, but not to any great relief. We didn't know about it.
    Merry Xmas!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    FishFish wrote:
    For example during the Malvinas conflict the German Navy sailed a battleship round the UK for a few weeks and thus demonstrated the principal in action to the great relief of the British people.

So heart warming. I never knew we were so safe. Bless NATO and the krauts.

Merry Christmas.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    A very good summary of The time when America stopped being great.

Only just discovered it although it was published 3 Nov.
    Coming from a country where too many people were reconciled to their fate from too early an age, the animating force of the American Dream was not just seductive but unshackling.

Upward mobility was not a given amongst my schoolmates. The absence of resentment was also striking: the belief success was something to emulate rather than envy. The sight of a Cadillac induced different feelings than the sight of a Rolls Royce.

Trump's appeal is understandable but sadly for most of us, just an illusion on a hard road.
  • pblakeney
    TWH shared that on Page 177. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    FishFish wrote:
    ...well there was an agreement that NATO members would increase expenditure on defence which was made in the 80's I think. It was sort of superceded by the absolute 2% GDP expenditure but neither is taken seriously.
    There are no co-ordinated policies nor is there a need for any but the principal of NATO - attack one of us and you attack us all is practiced. For example during the Malvinas conflict the German Navy sailed a battleship round the UK for a few weeks and thus demonstrated the principal in action to the great relief of the British people.

Malvinas conflict?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    Malvinas conflict?
    At least you know which side of the fence they sit on.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • robert88
    PBlakeney wrote:

Are you sure? :shock:

But anyway, he was right to do so.
  • robert88
    FishFish wrote:
    ..during the Malvinas conflict the German Navy sailed a battleship round the UK for a few weeks and thus demonstrated the principal in action to the great relief of the British people.

The Germans didn't actually have any battleships back then. They still don't.
  • Matthewfalle
    Robert88 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    ..during the Malvinas conflict the German Navy sailed a battleship round the UK for a few weeks and thus demonstrated the principal in action to the great relief of the British people.

FishFish didn’t actually any clue back then, He still doesn’t.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    Robert88 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

100% sure.
    The time when America stopped being great

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41826022
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Malvinas conflict?

TBF at least one other on here has advocated 'giving back' The Falklands. To whom he thinks they should be 'given back' to, I really don't know.
  • Robert88 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

He's probably thinking of 1914............
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Malvinas conflict?

Very strange terminology n’est ce pas, especially from one who says that he is ex-Reg .........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,097
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Malvinas conflict?

Very strange terminology n’est ce pas, especially from one who says that he is ex-Reg .........

On the contrary, I'd say it fits perfectly with his other posts.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Malvinas conflict?

Did he mention which Country?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • robert88
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

100% sure.
    The time when America stopped being great

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41826022

Thanks, it really is an excellent article.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

The Trumpybear. And it's not a satire.

http://gettrumpybear.com/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • robert88
    cooldad wrote:
    And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

The Trumpybear. And it's not a satire.

http://gettrumpybear.com/

It's rather black. Is there a whiter version?
  • FishFish
    Nearly a year as elected President of the USA. Magnificent achievements and an increasing recognition that he is doing more than his predecessors in the interests of the American population.

..meanwhile we have Theresa May and Nicola Sturgeon.

• Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Malvinas conflict?

Did he mention which Country?

I would hazard a guess at none of them.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Trump tweet...
    In the East, it could be the COLDEST New Year’s Eve on record. Perhaps we could use a little bit of that good old Global Warming that our Country, but not other countries, was going to pay TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS to protect against. Bundle up!
    Oh dear, just when he reaches the very depths of ignorance, he manages to find a longer spade :?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199
    Remember when Dubya was a bad joke? Happy days.
  • robert88
    orraloon wrote:
    Remember when Dubya was a bad joke? Happy days.

..and if only Trump's worst fail was not being able to spell potato.
  • FishFish
    But on the other hand people in work, economic resurgence, 401k plans doing better than ever place has a sense of purpose in the world as befits one of the big powers. And he is aware of climate issues - he just does not give one about them. He is looking after his country well. I wish the british government would act similarly.

Thank you to all of the Great Professors for your profundity and astute observations I am in awe of all of you. All the best for 2016.

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • robert88
    FishFish wrote:
    But on the other hand people in work, economic resurgence, 401k plans doing better than ever place has a sense of purpose in the world as befits one of the big powers. And he is aware of climate issues - he just does not give one about them. He is looking after his country well. I wish the british government would act similarly.

Thank you to all of the Great Professors for your profundity and astute observations I am in awe of all of you. All the best for 2016.

Mussolini was renowned for being able to make trains run on time. There's good in every one if you look hard enough.
  • Matthewfalle
    Robert88 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

Mussolini was renowned for being able to make trains run on time. There's good in every one if you look hard enough.

he also drained the marshes around Rome. I have noticed that no one wants to do the same around Hull. CONSPIRACY!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Republicans & Trump made up a child mollester in a pizza shop that almost caused a massacre but rallied behind an actual child mollester.

They’re gonna get smashed in the mid terms.