paris

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,846
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,666
    thats all Steve0, is that clear enough for you?
    Never mind what you think about why the vote came about. Do you think we should have a vote on it?

IF there is a vote, anyone who can understand basic english ie be able to read or have help to understand the question, should have a vote, which will rule you out.
    Must be very frustrating knowing that your party will be out of power for years to come, but there's no need to be rude :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770

Bukovsky has actually been on BBC before. Stated that he risked his life to escape a communist dictatorship and to find to his horror that he has ended up in the UK which is part of a union trying to recreate the same thing.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney

Bukovsky has actually been on BBC before. Stated that he risked his life to escape a communist dictatorship and to find to his horror that he has ended up in the UK which is part of a union trying to recreate the same thing.
    I've been on the BBC before. Does that make me an arbitrator of truth? :P :shock: :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,794
    taxidriver_on_bbc.jpg
  • mr_goo

I've been on the BBC before. Does that make me an arbitrator of truth? :P :shock: :lol:

No. Just an Interloper.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney

No. Just an Interloper.
    Aren't we all just interlopers spouting our opinions?
    Including Bukovsky.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Surely, given the relative unknown outcome of leaving, refugee crisis, Syria, climate change etc an out vote based on some pretty flimsy reasoning ie Camerons 4 year in work benefits demand (which given a rising min wage wont make any difference) i suggest that leaving will be damaging to the UK, for these reasons alone.

So with the EU is at last working on cross border co op on intel, with UK out of EU, would we be more or less at risk and able to prevent/react to a Paris style attack in a uk city?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Surely, given the relative unknown outcome of leaving, refugee crisis, Syria, climate change etc an out vote based on some pretty flimsy reasoning ie Camerons 4 year in work benefits demand (which given a rising min wage wont make any difference) i suggest that leaving will be damaging to the UK, for these reasons alone.

So with the EU is at last working on cross border co op on intel, with UK out of EU, would we be more or less at risk and able to prevent/react to a Paris style attack in a uk city?

All this was done before

viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=13028650&hilit=ukraine

Re The 4 reasons you give for staying in. Unknown outcome of leaving? Much as now, we are free to trade with whoever we wish, including the EU. The Lisbon Treaty states that members that leave can continue to trade without tariff.
    Refugee crisis? WE are an island and can set our own immigration policy if we left.
    Syria? We are not taking action within the context of being within the EU, we are acting as a sovereign state.
    Climate change? The recent agreement in Paris was reached by 190 countries, not 28. Our responsibility towards limiting climate change remains the same whether we be in or out of the EU.

As for the terms of the referendum, if the people decide that it is pretty flimsy they will vote accordingly.
    AS for security services working cross borders, you don't need to be a member of a bloc for that do you?
  • mamba80
    just adding to the direction the thread had already taken, allowed? by judge Bally ?
    the thread has moved on from Paris attacks, i note you didnt come guns blazing against your hero Stev0.

this EU vote isnt like a GE, where things can be changed again in 5years, the consequences of getting this wrong will be with us for generations.

But back to Paris, the attacks showed that EU is not sharing intel on survillance and movement of suspects, something they are now trying to address, as per original Schengen agreement, if we leave EU, will we be party to any co op agreements? no guarantees that they ll include us is there.
  • Not sure how these things get off topic but on the EU referendum theme I believe before anyone is allowed a vote they should have to read "The United States of Europe: The New Superpower and the End of American Supremacy" by T R Reid and pass at least some form of simple exam to prove they have a basic understanding of the what the author was trying to convey.

It's been a few years since I read it but it gives a very clear account on how the European Union/common market came about and develops on the increasing power of the Union on a global scale. It's basically written by an American for the Americans and as a result is quite unjudgemental on the pros and cons for any individual country within the EU. You can therefore make a judgement on the facts as presented. The American angle may give people a new perspective on the global worth and power of the Union rather than the petty arguments about bent cucumbers and selling in lbs etc. etc.
  • ballysmate
    just adding to the direction the thread had already taken, allowed? by judge Bally ?
    the thread has moved on from Paris attacks, i note you didnt come guns blazing against your hero Stev0.

this EU vote isnt like a GE, where things can be changed again in 5years, the consequences of getting this wrong will be with us for generations.

But back to Paris, the attacks showed that EU is not sharing intel on survillance and movement of suspects, something they are now trying to address, as per original Schengen agreement, if we leave EU, will we be party to any co op agreements? no guarantees that they ll include us is there.

What are you on about? Who mentioned 'Allowed'? Not I. I just pointed out that we have had a thread, one in which you played a full and active part IIRC. Guns blazing? FFS!
    Stevo a hero? :lol:

So back to Paris. By your own admission, an organisation that we have belonged to for 40 years has not got round to sharing security information yet. Yeah, membership is full of advantages eh?
  • Stevo_666
    Bally, I'm gutted that I am not your role model :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

All this was done before

viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=13028650&hilit=ukraine

Re The 4 reasons you give for staying in. Unknown outcome of leaving? Much as now, we are free to trade with whoever we wish, including the EU. The Lisbon Treaty states that members that leave can continue to trade without tariff.
    Refugee crisis? WE are an island and can set our own immigration policy if we left.
    Syria? We are not taking action within the context of being within the EU, we are acting as a sovereign state.
    Climate change? The recent agreement in Paris was reached by 190 countries, not 28. Our responsibility towards limiting climate change remains the same whether we be in or out of the EU.

As for the terms of the referendum, if the people decide that it is pretty flimsy they will vote accordingly.
    AS for security services working cross borders, you don't need to be a member of a bloc for that do you?
    Quite. Why would we need to be a member of 'the club' to share security info and cooperate with our allies?

Although it looks like Schengens days may be numbered in any event.
  • ballysmate

Not a chance!
    I regard you as a dodgy lefty. :lol:
  • Stevo_666

Not a chance!
    I regard you as a dodgy lefty. :lol:
    You really know how to hurt peoples feelings Bally :D
  • mamba80
    Got to hand it to the Gov, their new infomation film on what to to if you are caught up in a terrorist attack, is a master piece.
    "run if safe to do so, hide if it isnt" and "put your hands on your head when told to do so by armed Police" esp if he is called Simon? words of wisdom if i ever heard them.

having watched it, i feel much safer now, reminded me of the films "what to do in a nuclear attack"
  • pblakeney
    Got to hand it to the Gov, their new infomation film on what to to if you are caught up in a terrorist attack, is a master piece.
    "run if safe to do so, hide if it isnt" and "put your hands on your head when told to do so by armed Police" esp if he is called Simon? words of wisdom if i ever heard them.

having watched it, i feel much safer now, reminded me of the films "what to do in a nuclear attack"
    I would never have thought of doing that.
    Duck and cover for a nuclear attack always sounded like the ideal response.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    327704E800000578-3504612-image-m-17_1458674517614.jpg
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,419
    :D

3rd bloke is on the run. They have identified him (apparently) and have his fingerprints from a belt found on the suicide bombers in Paris. Must be linked to the arrest of Salah Abdeslam.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    Well someone's seen a gap in the market.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35866437
  • mr_goo
    Including yesterdays slaughter, over 5030 people have been murdered in the name of Islam since the start of the year. And at least 27,500 killed during 2015 in the name of this wonderful religion.
    The politicians keep telling me this is a religion of peace, and that the perpetrators are not true muslims. I am confused by this. Could someone please explain to me why Islam is a peaceful religion yet 10s of thousands are murdered each year in the name of Allah. Over to you Mr Chasey.
  • ballysmate
    Careful, Goo. He may start calling you names.
  • mr_goo
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Careful, Goo. He may start calling you names.

In the name of Allah I shall strike him down.

Wrong.

No such thing as God. Spiderman is more real.

In the name of Peter Parker I shall strike him down.

1wt4c2.jpg
  • mamba80
    yes but what are we in Europe going to do about it? lock downs? border closures? camps on the German.Polish borders, mass deportations? it seems we are powerless, just waiting for the next attack, held back by our democratic freedoms.

all this flag waving and solidarity means diddly squat, in the UK we allow the free movement of IS fighters to and fro Syria/Iraq...... conservative estimates at about 500 per year, though some are repeat visits!!!!

Islam certainly appeared to be a reasonably peaceful religion until the 1990's and that coincided with the wests meddling.
  • ballysmate
    You are not very good with this religious stuff are you Goo. You don't strike them down, you smite them.
    It is written!

http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/smite.html

I didn't realise that I am truly a prophet, Baldy that I am.
  • ballysmate
    edited March 2016
    mamba80 wrote:
    yes but what are we in Europe going to do about it? lock downs? border closures? camps on the German.Polish borders, mass deportations? it seems we are powerless, just waiting for the next attack, held back by our democratic freedoms.

all this flag waving and solidarity means diddly squat, in the UK we allow the free movement of IS fighters to and fro Syria/Iraq...... conservative estimates at about 500 per year, though some are repeat visits!!!!

Islam certainly appeared to be a reasonably peaceful religion until the 1990's and that coincided with the wests meddling.

The usual retort.
    Yes the West 'meddled' in the Middle East. It would give greater credence to your view if Middle Eastern countries, states or political movements had risen up to fight the Western aggressor. But no, it was a religious movement, who assert that the 'meddling' had been an attack on a religion. It had of course been no such thing.
    If it had been an attack on the religion of Islam, Saudi Arabia, the most conservative religious country in the region would not be courted by us to the chagrin of many.
    If the 'meddling' had been an attack on Islam, surely Indonesia would have been a ripe target with its 250m believers.

Edit The West's meddling in the 90s was in direct response to Iraq invading Kuwait. An act of military aggression to achieve a political gain. The Western response was not religiously driven but again political and economic.
  • mr_goo
    Telegraph and other daily rags reporting that 'Easter Egg' wording has been dropped from the seasonal chocolate offerings. So as not to offend other religions.
    Can we be quite clear. This is the work of idiotic liberal, wrist wringing, yogurt knitting, sandal wearing pillocks who do not want to offend ONE religion. Can you guess what it is yet?

Just off for an easter chimichanga. See you later sh*t sticks.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,794
    Worth remembering that the refugees are running away from the same people who make these terror attacks.
  • mr_goo
    Worth remembering that the refugees are running away from the same people who make these terror attacks.

Many of these terrorists are joining in the exodus to the open door of Europe. Europol estimate that about 5,000 IS terrorists made it through to Europe last year by hiding amongst the refugees.
    Worth remembering I think.