Rugby World Cup 2015

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Yeah, I think that might have been Australia playing badly rather than Scotland doing anything magical though
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • What I would say, if Aus have watched the video, is that Argentina have no kicking game. None at all. Not just in terms of don't kick much, not even once. It was terribly endearing but, in attack, the occasional up and under wouldn't go amiss.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Can't really see past the AB's, but if they are going to choke, no place better than a World Cup QF!

My first born is currently 4 days late, so no doubt I won't be watching any of the rugby! Perhaps a World Cup try fest might nudge things along.
    Semi-final surely?

Back to the question, Oz v NZ final, NZ win.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    What I would say, if Aus have watched the video, is that Argentina have no kicking game. None at all. Not just in terms of don't kick much, not even once. It was terribly endearing but, in attack, the occasional up and under wouldn't go amiss.

Whilst I agree that Argentina haven't done as much kicking as some others to suggest that they have no kicking game at all is plainly wrong. As a regular watcher of the Top 14 competition, Los Pumas have two of the best exponents of the kicking game, Toulon's Nicolas Sanchez and, in particular, Juan Martin Hernandez. Both of these players have an ability to drop a high ball onto a penny and as team mates for both club and country they already have an innate understanding of each others game. If both of them play to their abilities then I can easily see Argentina in their first World Cup final.
  • What I would say, if Aus have watched the video, is that Argentina have no kicking game. None at all. Not just in terms of don't kick much, not even once. It was terribly endearing but, in attack, the occasional up and under wouldn't go amiss.

Whilst I agree that Argentina haven't done as much kicking as some others to suggest that they have no kicking game at all is plainly wrong. As a regular watcher of the Top 14 competition, Los Pumas have two of the best exponents of the kicking game, Toulon's Nicolas Sanchez and, in particular, Juan Martin Hernandez. Both of these players have an ability to drop a high ball onto a penny and as team mates for both club and country they already have an innate understanding of each others game. If both of them play to their abilities then I can easily see Argentina in their first World Cup final.

To be fair I don't mean to suggest that they cannot play a kicking game. Just that they don't have one at the moment. I hope they put a few balls up but, frankly, watching them spread it is a joy.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    I must say I fancy Argentina for the World Cup. They've been winning convincingly and the other semi-finalist have faltered. And on paper (world cups aren't won on paper I know) Argentina had the toughest quarter final.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ddraver
    Well...wasnt a classic was it but a soild win from the All Blacks after a shaky start.

South Africa have a big problem with try scoring (or the lack of it) at the moment
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    I was watching in a pub with no sound. Can someone please explain 2 decisions?

A ruck with NZ in possession, a NZ player makes an illegal tackle (penalty given), the ball is played wide where it is intercepted and a try looks inevitable.
    Why did the ref stop the try to award a penalty back in their own 22?

The offside kick. Definitely offside but worth a yellow card?

I just want to know the thinking.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081

A ruck with NZ in possession, a NZ player makes an illegal tackle (penalty given), the ball is played wide where it is intercepted and a try looks inevitable.

point 1. NZ had a penalty first and no advantage was had. This meant it went back. However due to TMO touch judge it was found a neck roll had occurred and so SA got the penalty. Felt it was unfair but I couldnt work out if they ref knew about the neck roll when he blew up.

point 2. NZ card? Yes it was cynical and he meant to remove the ball from SA play
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2015

point 1. NZ had a penalty first and no advantage was had. This meant it went back. However due to TMO touch judge it was found a neck roll had occurred and so SA got the penalty. Felt it was unfair but I couldnt work out if they ref knew about the neck roll when he blew up.

point 2. NZ card? Yes it was cynical and he meant to remove the ball from SA play

1. SA can feel robbed, but that makes sense.

2. Fair enough if it was cynical. I got caught up in a conversation and missed the replays.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702

This illustrates the fundamental problem with rugby.
  • pblakeney

Why is it a problem?
    The referee would have explained the logic of the decision, I just couldn't hear it.
    I simply need to go to a different pub.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Quite a dour power game, all told. Hoping for better today. Hoping for Argentina.

I honestly think they have nothing to lose. And can win it all.

Owens will be refereeing the final. I hope he fades into the background rather than becoming centre stage.
  • ddraver
    Shame for the neutrals but you can't really argue that the Aussies didn't deserve that....
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    Shame for the neutrals but you can't really argue that the Aussies didn't deserve that....
    They deserved it but the decisions took the pressure off.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • What decisions? The massive mistake on the knock on, 1 try. The nowhere near a yellow card one, 1 try. The forward pass with no effort to look to the TMO, 1 try. Fair play, great game Barnes.
  • pblakeney
    What decisions? The massive mistake on the knock on, 1 try. The nowhere near a yellow card one, 1 try. The forward pass with no effort to look to the TMO, 1 try. Fair play, great game Barnes.
    Yes, those decisions.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • What decisions? The massive mistake on the knock on, 1 try. The nowhere near a yellow card one, 1 try. The forward pass with no effort to look to the TMO, 1 try. Fair play, great game Barnes.
    Yes, those decisions.

I do cause and effect. If mistake 1 had happened then mistakes 2 and 3 never would have. New timeline. But in the context of the timeline presented, Barnes had a shocker. Shows up the TMO thing again though. He was sympathetic to the 1st mistake, saw it on the screen, knew it was wrong, could not change it.
  • pblakeney
    What decisions? The massive mistake on the knock on, 1 try. The nowhere near a yellow card one, 1 try. The forward pass with no effort to look to the TMO, 1 try. Fair play, great game Barnes.
    Yes, those decisions.

I do cause and effect. If mistake 1 had happened then mistakes 2 and 3 never would have. New timeline. But in the context of the timeline presented, Barnes had a shocker. Shows up the TMO thing again though. He was sympathetic to the 1st mistake, saw it on the screen, knew it was wrong, could not change it.
    I agree. Ifs, buts and maybes.
    Relieving the pressure helped though IMHO.
    I will be humble this time as I admit to not being an expert.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

Why is it a problem?
    The referee would have explained the logic of the decision, I just couldn't hear it.

Too many counter intuitive rules (unless you play it) which happen under a pile of bodies.

If you need the ref to explain why he whistled, it's not a great spectacle. F1 can suffer from the same problem with arcane engineering rules that get examined only after the race.

This is one of the main things football has over rugby. In football everyone's the ref and it's clear to see - that's presumably why they're much more willing to have a go at the ref 'cos pretty much everyone can see it and knows what's going on (as opposed to any class snobbery reasons...)
  • pblakeney
    I could counter that some football referees really should explain some of their decisions.
    But I really don't care.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    Worst kept secret ever but Nigel Owens will referee the final - Good on him

OT, I saw something about trying to get him nominated for SPOTY which I think is a great idea. Not sure i can think of a better option this year....
    - @ddraver
  • Worst kept secret ever but Nigel Owens will referee the final - Good on him

OT, I saw something about trying to get him nominated for SPOTY which I think is a great idea. Not sure i can think of a better option this year....

Indeed. Perhaps he could be nominated for best supporting actor as well?
  • rick_chasey
    Worst kept secret ever but Nigel Owens will referee the final - Good on him

If lewis won it last year he should definitely win it this year...! (and how many UK sports stars can you first name only?)
  • ddraver
    Bradley
    Daly
    Linford
    Mo
    Johnny
    Bobby

Kind of cheating as it's so traditional to refer to team sportstars by their surnames, Rooney, SteveG, Ronaldo etc. Everyone says Messi, but there is rarely a need to specify Lionel. No one hears Messi and thinks of Fred Messi from Droitwich...
    - @ddraver
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

Why is it a problem?

Too many counter intuitive rules (unless you play it) which happen under a pile of bodies.

If you need the ref to explain why he whistled, it's not a great spectacle. F1 can suffer from the same problem with arcane engineering rules that get examined only after the race.

This is one of the main things football has over rugby. In football everyone's the ref and it's clear to see - that's presumably why they're much more willing to have a go at the ref 'cos pretty much everyone can see it and knows what's going on (as opposed to any class snobbery reasons...)

But that's precisely why Nigel Owens is particularly good. If you listen during the course of the game to him talking to the players rather than the inane chatter of the commentators you learn exactly why decisions are made and what laws are being contravened. I do not understand why the reluctance to mic up football referees when you would clean up players behaviour at a stroke - no swearing and abuse of the ref because every word will be picked up and also a good chance to understand exactly what the ref THINKS he saw.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I was watching in a pub with no sound. Can someone please explain 2 decisions?

Why is it a problem?

But that's precisely why Nigel Owens is particularly good. If you listen during the course of the game to him talking to the players rather than the inane chatter of the commentators you learn exactly why decisions are made and what laws are being contravened. I do not understand why the reluctance to mic up football referees when you would clean up players behaviour at a stroke - no swearing and abuse of the ref because every word will be picked up and also a good chance to understand exactly what the ref THINKS he saw.

It's an interesting one. He communicates very well. But being a good communicator is not evidence of correctly interpreting or applying the laws.
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    I think a large number of players would take good communication and consistency of interpretation during a game, over poor communication and especially lack of consistency during the course of a game.

I guess what I mean is that if a referee is going to control the breakdown in a certain way (the rules seemingly allowing different interpretations) he should communicate that to both teams before the game and then remain consistent throughout the game.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • lostboysaint

Why is it a problem?

It's an interesting one. He communicates very well. But being a good communicator is not evidence of correctly interpreting or applying the laws.

Nope, but most people in the rugby world agree that he's the best at that as well. Plus, as I said, the fact that you actually hear their thought processes and what they think they've seen and how they're interpreting the laws gives you a great insight and you can forgive them the odd moment (in Owens case it's very few!). I'd love to have heard Marriner's interpretation of Milner's wild swipe at Wanyama on Sunday or the same players rugby challenge on Bertrand (neither of which were punished!). I'd also like to see footballers having to wise up and cut out all the language, faux-protestations and constant whining - because they couldn't be doing that live on TV and still making big sponsorship bucks!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lostboysaint
    I think a large number of players would take good communication and consistency of interpretation during a game, over poor communication and especially lack of consistency during the course of a game.

I guess what I mean is that if a referee is going to control the breakdown in a certain way (the rules seemingly allowing different interpretations) he should communicate that to both teams before the game and then remain consistent throughout the game.

Quite!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris