Rugby World Cup 2015

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    I would imagine that even if England had finished first or second in the group, the Uruguay game would have seen all of the players that hadn't featured in the first three games in order to give as many as possible a rest before the quarter finals.

Sam Burgess has been a bit unlucky I think. The decision to bring him in from League by the RFU was a gamble that he would be ready for the RWC. Once they had taken that gamble I guess they had to follow it through by naming him in the squad - another example of Lancaster being hamstrung by his paymasters. From what I have seen (in League) he is an outstanding Rugby player. I think RWC was 6 months too early for him. I would keep him on a central contract until the end of the 6N and see how he stacks up then.

Having said all of that, it is very apparent that Burrell would have been a safer bet. He had an outstanding 6N (better in fact than his week in week out form at Saints) and must be thoroughly disillusioned with England now (incidentally, he has scored three tries in two pre-season games for Saints). From seeming to have a bevy of talent in midfield at the end of last season, England seemed to screw it right up.

Robshaw is not your traditional, out and out 7 and there may be better options out there but he is a good "6 and a half" there is no harder working player in world rugby and he's a worthy captain - I would not like to see that baby thrown out with the bath water.

The RFU need to accept that the odd player is going to go to France until such a time as salary caps can be increased over here. I understand the reasoning behind trying to keep players here but the "exceptional circumstances" policy needs to be just that and not an absolute block. One day that "once in a generation" player will surface - a Dan Carter, a McCaw a Robinson or a Guscott and they need to legislate for that now.

Finally (for now), the RFU need to review the academy system within the clubs. It breaks young players rather than improves them. It sucks the creativity and initiative from them whilst overdosing them with numbers to play by. It ruins their bodies and lobotomizes their rugby brains. It robs junior clubs of their best players and leeches the love of the game from them, it bizarrely prevents them from playing regularly and it gives false hope to too many. In so many ways it is counterproductive.

Anyway, enough of that and enough of England, let's sit back and enjoy the rest of this brilliant tournament!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    If any team gets beaten by 2 teams in their group then clearly they were not good enough to win anyway.

Ditto failing to beat 1 and wanting to progress. Wales need to field a full strength team next week and beat Australia.

why would Wales do that ? They are already through, why risk more injury in a match that doesn't have to be won?
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Beware the Uruguayans, I think they may have you sussed...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KHOu2JhvM90&feature=youtu.be
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    If any team gets beaten by 2 teams in their group then clearly they were not good enough to win anyway.

Ditto failing to beat 1 and wanting to progress. Wales need to field a full strength team next week and beat Australia.

why would Wales do that ? They are already through, why risk more injury in a match that doesn't have to be won?

I all likelihood the game decides who will play South Africa and who gets an effective bye into the Semi Finals...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • If any team gets beaten by 2 teams in their group then clearly they were not good enough to win anyway.

Win and you get an easier 1/4. Against Scotland. There's little point in letting injuries sway us now. Remember, any injuries are our back up players anyway, who the hell do we call on next? Lose and it's SA next. Two tough matches. Scotland can beat us, but at least the psychology is better.

And, why surrender? Australia won't. They'll want to/expect to win it. Will pick a good team. If you want to win a World Cup you win it from here.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Anyway back on topic what do people think of the team selected for Uruguay potentially as a last hoorah for Lancaster? I think its good to see some of the fringe guys get a run I know its a meaningless game but people like Slade could play their way into future squads over others http://www.englandrugby.com/news/england-bring-fresh-faces-for-uruguay/

Sticking with Farrell albeit at 12 seems a bit like they're hedging their bets. It should be a comfortable win so experiment a bit. Slade finally being there is a step in the right direction for England though. Hopefully the experiment won't last long and it will be a Farrell / Burgess 10 and 12 partnership come the 6 Nations (hopefully with Ashton back on the wing) :wink: I really find it hard to believe that Robshaw is the best openside in English rugby, even allowing for the rule excluding Armitage. It's an area where virtually every other major rugby nation are better.

Are you drunk? Hopefully it'll be Ford at 10 and we never see Burgess in an England shirt again (unless it happens to have the number 6 or 7 on the back of it). His own club don't even know where to play him.

Come 6N time we should see Burell back int the centres and Burgess playing back at Bath at whatever position they feel like.

EDIT - Sorry, that came across quite agressive, didn't mean it to.

The wheels fell off this WC campaign when Ford was dropped for Farrel at 10 against Wales.

No, I'm not drunk just not English so want them to keep repeating their mistakes!
  • prb007

No, I'm not drunk just not English so want them to keep repeating their mistakes!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • prb007
    wrote:

why would Wales do that ? They are already through, why risk more injury in a match that doesn't have to be won?[/quote]

Because another Welsh win would both further lift morale in a depleted side, and make the 1/4 final tie (against Scotland if we beat Aus), a damn sight easier than the potential game against SA...that's why!
  • Chogger
    Chogger Posts: 62
    Momentum that's why you go for the win, winning is a habit realistically both teams are 4 wins away from a world cup win, plus a win for Wales may help break the frail mentality against southern hemisphere teams they appear to have. Oddly I think playing at Twickenham will help Wales as they won't have the pressure of an expectant Millennium stadium crowd
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    I suspect that there will be more than a few Welsh people at Twickenham.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Chogger
    There's sure to be but I just think a neutralish venue will help shake this frailty against Australia as in the past they have been a match for them just losing in the last few minutes
  • ddraver
    Ironically they tend to perform very much like England did against them 2 weeks ago. ie get an early lead then somehow blow it in the last 10 mins
    - @ddraver
  • Fun fact. Wales' losing cumulative margin in the last 5 games against Australia is the same as England's against Australia last Saturday night.

What's irritating is that we keep coming close. Time to do it.
  • ddraver
    In another Star move by World Rugby Tuilagi (another one) has been banned for running at a player during normal game play - http://www.planetrugby.com/news/tuilagi-banned-for-five-weeks/
    - @ddraver
  • Chogger
    Would like to see a video of the alleged incident if it was in a ruck I can possibly see where they are coming from but in open play and running at a defender no chance
  • ddraver
    One is being retweeted so a short google will answer your question but no it was in totally normal play. He gets that ball, the Japanese player puts his head on the wrong side in the tackle, makes a balls of it and get's run over

I have seen no one defending the decision to ban him yet.
    - @ddraver
  • Chogger
    Just watched the video how is that a ban I don't know think the Japan player needs to work on technique. The only possible thing the citing commission could see with that is the leg is lifted before going into contact but to me it looks more like a step to plant the foot to prepare for impact not a delibrate attempt to knee the player in the face these sort of decisions are worrying for the future of the game
  • ddraver
    yup, especially when you compare it to the 1 match ban for the obviously deliberate charge on Mike Brown. It's very hard not to feel that the playing field is somewhat unlevel for the smaller nations. I hope it get's sorted out
    - @ddraver
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    yup, especially when you compare it to the 1 match ban for the obviously deliberate charge on Mike Brown. It's very hard not to feel that the playing field is somewhat unlevel for the smaller nations. I hope it get's sorted out

Agreed. JP Doyle was in charge of Fiji v Uruguay (a highly entertaining game of rugby), is a highly regarded referee, and had a couple of howlers in that match.

have to feel for Uruguay having 4 days now to prepare for England, simply not enough time to prepare a smaller squad, if not down right dangerous.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    have to feel for Uruguay having 4 days now to prepare for England, simply not enough time to prepare a smaller squad, if not down right dangerous.

Not long at all but I am sure they will still get the win
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • forehead

Wahey!
    I almost hope they do win, almost.
    Imagine if they'd had a full week!
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • prb007

Gats1.jpg
  • forehead
    I've not been on this forum long enough to say what I really think as a reaction to the English baiting and casual racism on here.

I'll just say as a rugby fan, I'm looking forward to watching the rest of this excellent competition (as evident by last nights game).

Oh, and i hope Australia give Wales a proper shoeing.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • prb007
    I've not been on this forum long .. Oh, and i hope Australia give Wales a proper shoeing.

....and we'll still make the quarters, shoeing and all... :lol:

_66442782_rugbypundits_grab.jpg
  • prb007
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    I've not been on this forum long enough to say what I really think as a reaction to the English baiting and casual racism on here.

That's a bit of a paranoid way of describing it

I personally was not bothered which of the three teams went out as they are all good sides

But after watching ITV build up to the the Aus game i could not believe the arrogance of the pundits and presenters

To be disgusted you were beat by Wales the previous week is one thing but to carry on like it was a massive shock that it happened is just ignorant

England has not won a six nations since 2011 so why they expected to win the World Cup was beyond me

I do not live in England anymore so I cannot say what the ordinary fan believes but the media was fooking stupid in their expectations
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • prb007
  • CQySgAFXAAAxbqW.jpg

That's not damage limitation. That's in it to win it.
  • forehead
    CQySgAFXAAAxbqW.jpg

That's not damage limitation. That's in it to win it.

That's a good team. Best thing about it is the absence of Gethin Jenkins! A one time great scrummager, and now a penalty liability.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • Chogger

That's a bit of a paranoid way of describing it

I personally was not bothered which of the three teams went out as they are all good sides

But after watching ITV build up to the the Aus game i could not believe the arrogance of the pundits and presenters

To be disgusted you were beat by Wales the previous week is one thing but to carry on like it was a massive shock that it happened is just ignorant

England has not won a six nations since 2011 so why they expected to win the World Cup was beyond me

I do not live in England anymore so I cannot say what the ordinary fan believes but the media was fooking stupid in their expectations
    As an ordinary fan I thought the team were good enough to get a quater final and at a push a semi final place due to the home advantage but it was always going to be tough to get out the group and unfortunately one of the 'top' nations was always going to go out and on this occasion it was England that weren't good enough end of the matter. The media do no favours with the way they like to build expectation and them smash the team to pieces the minute they fail.