Last Film Watched

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Oops! Realised that the earlier link was for the 1st film.
    Jaysus 🤦🏻‍♂️
    So, they made it, released it. Saw the (likely) reviews. AND made a sequel?!?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3640272/

Love it. Featured review…

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,896
    Finally got round to watching The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.
    What a load of over-rated twaddle. Well acted but 2-1/4 hours I won't get back.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    edited May 2023
    A new episode of Rich goes to Cineworld

Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan: A French film and the first part of a.. what's the two version of a trilogy? Fairly faithful to Dumas. It was OK. There was decent swashbuckling but ultimately I wasn't really engaged. I needed more plotting. I will watch part 2 though. ***

How To Blow Up a Pipeline: Based on a radical environment campaigning book. It owes a lot of it's structure to Reservoir Dogs. Regardless of what you think of it's politics, it was interesting but not gripping. A early chance to build real jeopardy was lost. There was a better film to be made here, but it was made for nothing. ***

Missing. This is a sort of a sequel to Searching (Amazon Prime) which I hadn't seen but now have. The two have different characters but the same concept which is that the whole film is played out on computer screens. In each each case a parent and their daughter are separated by one going missing. In Searching a father looks for his daughter. In Missing a teenage girl looks for her mother. This format has been done elsewhere but Missing in particular pulls it off with a better story than Searching. Missing ****, Searching ***

Polite Society. I won't say much about the plot of this except UK Pakistani girl (who wants to be a stuntwoman) doesn't like her older sister's choice of husband. It's ambitiously odd but I don't think it has the confidence or panache to pull it off (I could list some films that did). At times it seemed a bit Nickleodeon sitcom when the young actors were together.. But points for trying. ***

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. Jim Broadbent as Harold Fry decides to walk from Devon to Berwick to see a dying old friend. Based on an acclaimed book. It's well made and acted, but it doesn't gel with my personality. Someone behind me said 'That was amazing'. I just wondered, as a fat man, whyy he didn't lose any weight. Despite this ****

Film of the episode: Missing
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • morstar
    Where the Crawdads Sing (Sky). To me, it was reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird and Of mice and Men.
    Rural southern US setting and a legal drama where the backwater justice system will surely fail.
    Well crafted film with deliberately ambiguous culprit for the crime/accident. Quite slow and a bit chick flicky but I enjoyed it.

Emily the Criminal (Sky). Not heard of it but a good watch. A down to earth gritty drama as somebody gets drawn onto a criminal path. Well crafted and doesn’t go all in on bleak (where so many of these dramas go imho). It feels plausible.
  • Pross said:

Currently watching He Who Dares: Downing Street Seige on Prime. It’s a sequel to a film I’ve never watched and so far in contention for the worst film I’ve ever seen. Highlights so far are:

The hero apparently being an SAS Major but walking around in a uniform with corporal’s stripes.

The terrorist team on their way to take over Downing Street on a double decker bus with a stripper whose only purpose appears to be to have a topless woman. She then gets shot to allow a close up shot of her breasts.

Terrorists sexy girlfriend walking around the obligatory action film female star uniform of skin tight PVC trousers who stands right in front of the blast when the front door of number 10 gets blown off without her hair even getting disturbed.

Access to number 10 being gained by simply climbing over a wall - if only the IRA had though of that.

When you think how many aspiring actors can’t get work with some of them being quite good it baffles me how any of these got a job (well, having seen the PVC trousers I get how the terrorist’s girlfriend got the job). The main terrorist is trying the wisecracking Bond villain routine but doesn’t have the script or acting ability.

Still watching while I try to work out if it falls into the ‘so bad it’s good’ category but at present I’m leaning to so bad it’s utter shite.

PSA 🚨.
    If you're intrigued by @Pross's review 👆🏻, please be aware that the first movie is on Legend (freeview 41) tonight at 21.00
    😜

You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    Got around to watching last of the mohicans.

What a sh!t film. Is there anything good about it?

Boring plot. Culturally dubious - of course the white man gone native is the best of both worlds.

Probably the most overscored film I’ve ever seen. Why does there constantly need to be some strings behind every moment?

Why am I supposed to care about any of the characters?

The action is boring and formulaic. We know who’s going to survive.

And half of it is so dark you cam barely see it.

Rubbish.
  • pblakeney

Got around to watching last of the mohicans.

Rubbish.

I would recommend that you avoid The Patriot then. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803

Pross said:

Currently watching He Who Dares: Downing Street Seige on Prime. It’s a sequel to a film I’ve never watched and so far in contention for the worst film I’ve ever seen. Highlights so far are:

The hero apparently being an SAS Major but walking around in a uniform with corporal’s stripes.

The terrorist team on their way to take over Downing Street on a double decker bus with a stripper whose only purpose appears to be to have a topless woman. She then gets shot to allow a close up shot of her breasts.

Terrorists sexy girlfriend walking around the obligatory action film female star uniform of skin tight PVC trousers who stands right in front of the blast when the front door of number 10 gets blown off without her hair even getting disturbed.

Access to number 10 being gained by simply climbing over a wall - if only the IRA had though of that.

When you think how many aspiring actors can’t get work with some of them being quite good it baffles me how any of these got a job (well, having seen the PVC trousers I get how the terrorist’s girlfriend got the job). The main terrorist is trying the wisecracking Bond villain routine but doesn’t have the script or acting ability.

Still watching while I try to work out if it falls into the ‘so bad it’s good’ category but at present I’m leaning to so bad it’s utter shite.

PSA 🚨.
    If you're intrigued by @Pross's review 👆🏻, please be aware that the first movie is on Legend (freeview 41) tonight at 21.00
    😜

If I watch that it might give me context and make me realise the sequel is actually a work of genius!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    1917. Beautifully shot and the seemingly continuous single shot works well. At times a little bit of style over substance. Some big name actors in some pretty small roles. 7/10.
  • No Time To Die (Bond 25). I like Daniel Craig but Pierce Brosnan is better for role secret agent man 007
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448

No Time To Die (Bond 25). I like Daniel Craig but Pierce Brosnan is better for role secret agent man 007

What! Go wash your mouth out.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    edited May 2023
    Guardians of the galaxy 3. Entertaining fun. Likeable characters, funny, emotional. Two and a half hours didn’t drag at all. Good effort for a third instalment.
  • seanoconn
    SISU. Finnish (although mostly English language) World War II blood and guts. Bad Nazi’s getting their comeuppance. Lapland gold miner really wants his gold back. Over the top but reasonably entertaining.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    seanoconn said:

No Time To Die (Bond 25). I like Daniel Craig but Pierce Brosnan is better for role secret agent man 007

I think Bond preference can be highly influenced by who you grew up with. I loved Brosnan and the slightly tongue in cheek element he brought to the role. Craig is probably closer to the written character and far more gritty. Dalton is my true childhood Bond, but I just found those films forgettable.
  • seanoconn
    Tashman said:

seanoconn said:

I think Bond preference can be highly influenced by who you grew up with. I loved Brosnan and the slightly tongue in cheek element he brought to the role. Craig is probably closer to the written character and far more gritty. Dalton is my true childhood Bond, but I just found those films forgettable.
    Moore’s a view to a kill was my first cinema Bond experience but preferred the more Rugged Connery at the time, specially as he didn’t need a stunt man to run for him. Connery’s era has dated sadly. Craig is the best actor to play Bond and my favourite.
  • Pross
    seanoconn said:

Tashman said:

seanoconn said:

Moore’s a view to a kill was my first cinema Bond experience but preferred the more Rugged Connery at the time, specially as he didn’t need a stunt man to run for him. Connery’s era has dated sadly. Craig is the best actor to play Bond and my favourite.
    Moore was my generation too but I definitely prefer Connery to Moore's slightly camp version. Connery and Craig feel closest to the book for me, Brosnan was a bit more at the Moore end of the spectrum.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,950
    The Mauritanian.

I found this by chance the other night and have been watching it in (two) bits on iPlayer. I'd make the effort to watch the whole thing again, it really is an eye-opener and very well done

To save you having to look it up if you're not familiar with this, it stars Jodie Foster as lawyer Nancy Hollander who took on a pro bono case to help an internee of Guantanamo Bay. Based on the book by the internee.

The older I get, the better I was.

• seanoconn
    AIR. Underdogs (in the basketball section of sports wear) NIKE, put all their eggs in one basket and try to sign Michael Jordan. The usual decent offering from Afflek and Damon and must say I really enjoyed the first 7/8ths of the film. Tiny bit too shmaltzy and over reverential to Jordan for me at the end but still good.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,397
    capt_slog said:

The Mauritanian.

I found this by chance the other night and have been watching it in (two) bits on iPlayer. I'd make the effort to watch the whole thing again, it really is an eye-opener and very well done

To save you having to look it up if you're not familiar with this, it stars Jodie Foster as lawyer Nancy Hollander who took on a pro bono case to help an internee of Guantanamo Bay. Based on the book by the internee.

It's a great film!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    The Racer - apparently a cycling movie but made by someone with no real appreciation of cycle racing and how cinematic it can be. It was woeful. Might I have enjoyed it as a non-cycling fan? Who knows. The drama was pretty poor in it too.
  • Pross
    edited July 2023
    Watched the new Indiana Jones last night. I’ve generally found the others OK but they often go on too long. I really enjoyed this one, possibly more than any of them although it is so long since I first watched the original it’s hard to remember how I felt at the time. The film is nicely done and covers the ageing action hero issue well.

There is one but I did think the script writers left a bit of a stupid hole though where the bad guys don’t know where they’re going until the last minute yet somehow manage to get all their Nazi henchmen and a WW2 plane to that location by time they have stolen the item they’re hunting. I don’t mind the silliness of time travel as that is part of the film plot but silly things like that annoy me.

Solid 7/10 for me.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    Eastern Promises.

Dark, gritty drama about the world of Russian gangsters in London. Not a recent film but fairly topical I suppose.

Good performance from Vigo Mortenson which secured him an Oscar nomination.

Includes one of the most memorable fight scenes ever!

Recommended.
  • Eastern Promises.

I can highly recommend 'A History of Violence' which is the Cronenberg film he made before this, again with Vigo Mortenson in the lead role.

I also watched the new Indiana Jones. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would, far better than Crystal Skull. Agreed the ending is pretty ridiculous though!
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

Watched the new Indiana Jones last night. I’ve generally found the others OK but they often go on too long. I really enjoyed this one, possibly more than any of them although it is so long since I first watched the original it’s hard to remember how I felt at the time. The film is nicely done and covers the ageing action hero issue well.

There is one but I did think the script writers left a bit of a stupid hole though where the bad guys don’t know where they’re going until the last minute yet somehow manage to get all their Nazi henchmen and a WW2 plane to that location by time they have stolen the item they’re hunting. I don’t mind the silliness of time travel as that is part of the film plot but silly things like that annoy me.

Solid 7/10 for me.

Indiana Jones was one of, if not my favourite childhood movies. Thought I’d pay my respects for the last one. Wasn’t expecting much but still disappointed. Much as I love Harrison Ford, an 80 year old action hero doesn’t work, Phoebe Waller-Bridge takes her share of the action but didn’t find her particularly likeable in the role. The film relies too heavily on cgi which always leaves me cold, add to that the thin plot and ridiculous ending and it would have been better to kill Indi off and be done with it. A painful 5/10

I wanted more but in hindsight they should have stopped at three.
  • morstar
    Given how bad the last Indiana Jones revival was, I’m genuinely surprised they thought to try again.
  • morstar
    County Lines on one of the Sky channels last night.

British, gritty drama based on the subject of the film title. Follows a young lad getting drawn in to County lines.

Does what it says on the tin. It’s not an uplifting watch but it’s well done.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    So I'm going to look at two of the biggest movie stars of my life time and their latest offerings.

Indiana Jones 5: First up, full disclosure - I often cite Raiders of the Lost Ark as my favourite film. Back when I went to fancy dress parties, I had Indiana Jones carefully curated. So, I didn't like number 4, although on watching it's better than I thought at the time. This new one I liked more. The opening sequence with the CG younger Indy worked for me. It was like the Indy of old and saw him involved in the war.
    As for the main part, I won't say this often, but it was good to see the Nazis back. Ford is an 80 year old playing a 69 year old, but the action he was involved is wasn't too unbelievable. Phoebe Waller-Bridge didn't annoy me (Fleabag did). So have said the ending was dumb, but was it any more stupid than the conceits of the other Overall as an Indy fanboy, I enjoyed. ****

But then we come to the biggest film star of my lifetime. Mr Cruise.

The Mission Impossible films are his baby, he controls everything. And boy does he deliver. This is the greatest action franchise ever. And this is right up with the best of the series, maybe the best. John Wick and the Fast & Furious franchises do unbelievable, but Mission Impossible somehow makes the unbelievable plausible. Largely because of his Cruise. He's a one off. His commitment to everything, especially the stunts shines through. The whole train sequence is extraordinary and lasts the best part of an hour in distinct sections. The film is only 'Part One', but lasts nearly three hours. If you'd offered me another three hour 'Part Two' at the end I'd have accepted like an addict.. ***** no question
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    John Wick 4. Sorry but disappointed.
    I enjoyed the first 3 and get that they are supposed to be OTT but this one could have done with a lower death count and reduced length. Storyline was good enough to warrant it.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95. said:

So I'm going to look at two of the biggest movie stars of my life time and their latest offerings.

Indiana Jones 5: First up, full disclosure - I often cite Raiders of the Lost Ark as my favourite film. Back when I went to fancy dress parties, I had Indiana Jones carefully curated. So, I didn't like number 4, although on watching it's better than I thought at the time. This new one I liked more. The opening sequence with the CG younger Indy worked for me. It was like the Indy of old and saw him involved in the war.
    As for the main part, I won't say this often, but it was good to see the Nazis back. Ford is an 80 year old playing a 69 year old, but the action he was involved is wasn't too unbelievable. Phoebe Waller-Bridge didn't annoy me (Fleabag did). So have said the ending was dumb, but was it any more stupid than the conceits of the other Overall as an Indy fanboy, I enjoyed. ****

But then we come to the biggest film star of my lifetime. Mr Cruise.

The Mission Impossible films are his baby, he controls everything. And boy does he deliver. This is the greatest action franchise ever. And this is right up with the best of the series, maybe the best. John Wick and the Fast & Furious franchises do unbelievable, but Mission Impossible somehow makes the unbelievable plausible. Largely because of his Cruise. He's a one off. His commitment to everything, especially the stunts shines through. The whole train sequence is extraordinary and lasts the best part of an hour in distinct sections. The film is only 'Part One', but lasts nearly three hours. If you'd offered me another three hour 'Part Two' at the end I'd have accepted like an addict.. ***** no question

I love the MI franchise too - I always say it's because there's the 'knowing wink' to all of it which says "you know this is preposterous, we know know this is preposterous, but we dare you to tell us you're not LOVING it"
  • Watched Superman - Man of Steel - impressed with how good Henry Cavill was as Superman.