Last Film Watched

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,938
    pblakeney said:

14 Peaks. Awesome, as said in the TV Series thread.
    Wonder what on earth he is doing for the sequel? 🤔😱

Chatting with a friend who is into climbing and it turns out that Nirmal Purja is viewed similarly to LA. Watch it with that in mind.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,467
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Chatting with a friend who is into climbing and it turns out that Nirmal Purja is viewed similarly to LA. Watch it with that in mind.
    Good at self promotion no doubt but for too long Sherpas have been dragging Europeans and their kit up mountains with little credit or pay. Good luck to him, obviously a great climber and as tough as nails. Not sure how long he’ll live if he wants to top that effort.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,926
    Thing that surprised me most was that he was the first Gurkha to pass Special Forces selection. Given their reputation as soldiers and for their endurance you would have thought they have been well represented, especially given where they were mainly operating at the time. Also seems odd that he apparently went to the SBS rather than SAS.
  • pblakeney
    seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Good at self promotion no doubt but for too long Sherpas have been dragging Europeans and their kit up mountains with little credit or pay. Good luck to him, obviously a great climber and as tough as nails. Not sure how long he’ll live if he wants to top that effort.
    Oh 100%. I've always wondered why the sherpas got so little recognition.
    As he says on completion there would have been a much larger media presence had he been a westerner.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,749
    Blue Story - on Netflix - British made film about 2 SE London gangs. I'm guessing it's a bit of a cult film amongst modern day young people who are in that kind of environment.

Personally I thought it was good but maybe a bit clichéd - not a must watch but worth watching if you like British urban films. If you are an 18 year old in Peckham into drill music then maybe it's essential viewing - or maybe not as I don't know anyone that fits that description.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    The Power of the Dog on Netflix.
    Slower than a slow thing on a slow day. Try it if you have insomnia.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980
    Parasite and didn’t get the fuss.

It was a fine, decent film, but not one of the best films made in the 21st century which seems to be consensus.
  • seanoconn
    pblakeney said:

The Power of the Dog on Netflix.
    Slower than a slow thing on a slow day. Try it if you have insomnia.

Tried to watch a bit of this, (less than 5mins) Benedict Cumberbatch just isn’t convincing for me as an American rancher, good actor though he is and once it was apparent Jesse Plemons had chosen silence or mumbling for his ‘brooding’ character, I guessed this was going to be a tedious slog.
  • seanoconn

Parasite and didn’t get the fuss.

It was a fine, decent film, but not one of the best films made in the 21st century which seems to be consensus.

Yep, the same.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Shang-Chi and the legend of the ten rings. Pure escapism, some nice comedic touches, impressive action, and Michelle Yeoh.

I’ve found myself less interested in gritty style films these days. Just want something to lose myself in for a couple of hours, forget the stresses of real life. Like watching Rose dancing on strictly
  • Watched What a Wonderful Life as people raved about what a good Christmas film it is.
    Slightly better than expected but not much, certainly wouldn't want to watch it again.
    It was interesting how film actors in that era over acted in film and most of the dialogue is shouted , must have been still acting as though on stage I guess.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,629
    The Last Mountain on Iplayer. Documentary film dealing with the demise of climber Tom Ballard on Nanga Parbat, years on from the death of his mother Alison Hargreaves on K2.

Obviously a tragic tale though quite difficult to empathise with some of the characters involved. Certainly the impression of the husband/father created by reading Regions of the Heart was reinforced by this.

The footage of the phone call between him and the daughter (when she informs him that Tom's body is thought to have been seen) was a very difficult thing to watch and perhaps should never have been included. That said, the family had clearly chosen to have a film crew along with them for the various stages of the grieving processes they went through.

Another bizarre scene was the Italian ambassador in Islamabad blazing up a cigar as he informs the sister that her brother probably had a miserable death.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,926
    Just watched The Silencing on Sky Cinema. Plot is similar to Hard Target if a bit less flashy, serial killer kidnaps teenage girls then let's them run loose in the wilderness whilst hunting them.

Thought it was probably marginally better than average with the benefit of not being dragged out too long (very few films seem less than 2 hours these days). Rotten Tomatoes seems to disagree as it only has 13%.
  • Pross said:

Just watched The Silencing on Sky Cinema. Plot is similar to Hard Target if a bit less flashy, serial killer kidnaps teenage girls then let's them run loose in the wilderness whilst hunting them.

Thought it was probably marginally better than average with the benefit of not being dragged out too long (very few films seem less than 2 hours these days). Rotten Tomatoes seems to disagree as it only has 13%.

I thought it was pretty decent. Nothing new but certainly not boring and as you say, not padded out like so many films are these days.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Don't Look Up
    Not a bad satire on the current (mainly USA) world some good actors, not taking it too seriously. Some laughs but not all the way through. Pretty good but the humour clearly aimed at an American audience.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,402

Of course the exception being Live and Let Die.

Someone needs to tell todays popstars that they are welcome to move
    away from the 1,11b, 11,11b chord progression so we can have a bit of variation back...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,406
    Chef, a very passable film in a cosy winters evening. Just don't watch if you're hungry!
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    edited January 2022
    Don't Look Up+1
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Yet to watch this, but I've read the book, and it's brilliant; looking forward to watching it.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    Spiderman: No Way Home , with the kids over Christmas

Enjoyed it, but I thought Into the Spiderverse executed the same basic idea better.

As a side point I normally find films that reference themselves (or the films they're remakes of) irritating, but this had a couple of such moments which were well done.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • davidof
    edited January 2022

It was interesting how film actors in that era over acted in film and most of the dialogue is shouted , must have been still acting as though on stage I guess.

I think shouting was a Jimmy Stewart thing. When Carry Grant started in films he was specifically told he wasn't acting to the bleachers but to a camera a couple of feet away. The microphones and sound recording were no where near as good as now though.

Still Wonderful LIfe, you get the fragrant Donna Reed as compensation, even if she has been food for worms for over 35 years !

https://youtu.be/gZ0Yp-sZrKU
    Instagramme
  • seanoconn

Spiderman: No Way Home , with the kids over Christmas

Enjoyed it, but I thought Into the Spiderverse executed the same basic idea better.

As a side point I normally find films that reference themselves (or the films they're remakes of) irritating, but this had a couple of such moments which were well done.

Same but in 3D 4D. So had 2 hours of gloomy/blurry 3D whist being shaken in my chair, punched in the back, blown and spat on. Couldn’t wait for the film to finish.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    Never watch 3D
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,629

No Time To Die - excellent Bond film that was full of action which was not quite so far fetched as some. It felt like a modern version of one of the old Bond films and didn't take itself too seriously!

Finally got round to this.

Not a bad end to the Craig era. Bit of a ropey plot and a poor villain but the action was good and it didn't feel as long as it might have done. Some nice nods to the old films and more emotional impact than you'd expect from Bond.
  • davidof
    edited January 2022
    Watched Contagion last night. Very, very close to what happened with Covid, like a training video. The things they got wrong were the difficulties with developing an effective vaccine but the rest was spot on. I hope our leaders watched this again when Covid broke.

It had all the vocab: R0, social distancing, clusters, health passes...

This is Gwyneth having her skull sliced open... it was empty inside !

Instagramme
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,585
    edited January 2022
    davidof said:

Wasn't it full of Goop?
  • pblakeney
    davidof said:

Method acting? 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bitmanalexQ3XlZtjb
    edited January 2022
    I wanted something from 1920 so since I'd already seen The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari I went with the Buster Keaton short One Week. Didn't expect to be constantly laughing out loud at a 100 year old silent film.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,402
    In the middle of (a very illegal copy of) Dune.

Struggling...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • seanoconn
    ddraver said:

In the middle of (a very illegal copy of) Dune.

Struggling...

Took me at least 5 visits to get through it, good luck 👍