Most farcical thing you've seen in pro racing?

Comments

• SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Simon Gerrans. Was there ever a bigger wheelsucker than him?
    Also up there is Cancellara at his prime. It seemed that it was every other race he was complaining about something. I like him a lot more these days.
    Froome not being penalised for the whole Porte/Team-Car incident a couple of years back was also stupid.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Have we done the youtube clip that "proved" Spartacus was cheating with an electric motor in his bike as he rode away to victory in a couple of Classics ?
  • got another contender:

McQuaid's Twatter parody account running off with the money raised to help Kimbo defend a libel case brought by McQuaid

META
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    very good shout RR...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Simon Gerrans. Was there ever a bigger wheelsucker than him?
    Also up there is Cancellara at his prime. It seemed that it was every other race he was complaining about something. I like him a lot more these days.
    Froome not being penalised for the whole Porte/Team-Car incident a couple of years back was also stupid.

He got done 20s, which is probably about right for a couple of sneaky gels when the reason you couldn't get a feed in time was some drunk idiot wrecked the other team car by pouring water all over it through an open window
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Rock Racing. Lolz
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    He was penalised. The standard penalty for the offence - 20 seconds and a bit of cash.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Simon Gerrans. Was there ever a bigger wheelsucker than him?

He got done 20s, which is probably about right for a couple of sneaky gels when the reason you couldn't get a feed in time was some drunk idiot wrecked the other team car by pouring water all over it through an open window

Was that what happened? I thought the ice melted in the cool box and it leaked out and fried the electrics?
    dish_dash wrote:
    disgruntledgoat[/url]"]Rock Racing. Lolz

:lol::lol::lol:

[img]<span%20class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.bikehub.co.za/forum/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-6872-0-05711700-1389690277.jpg</span>[/img]

MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT - OK that didn't work. Still, that Rock Racing picture. MY EYES
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Prime586
    Prime586 Posts: 43

Was that what happened? I thought the ice melted in the cool box and it leaked out and fried the electrics?

That's correct - Walsh mentioned it in his Times article. The staff had tried to get ahead of themselves and put ice in the cooler box the night before. They put more inthe next morning but the ice from the night before had already mostly melted. It was a very hot day and as the stage progressed the rest of the ice melted. The water leaked out on the descent of Saronne, soaking the battery and electronics in the boot.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    The season's farce rolls on, Sagan taken out by a moto when looking like he could win stage 8 of the Vuelta, loses his rag and punches medical car, fined 300ch, Oleg tweets that the UCI and ASO are a bunch of prïcks, and wonders if there's an ASO conspiracy against Tinkoff. It would be difficult to make this stuff up...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Judging by the site of Sagan's bottom courtesy of Frenchie I wouldn't be surprised if Sagan wasn't punching the medical car as a reaction to the pain.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    7631240-3x2-700x467.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Always thought Chris Froome was the answer to the question "What would happen if you gave an elite long distance runner a bicycle?"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Bakunin wrote:
    Vos and Rabo mugging Mara Abbott

Around 38:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRskFaxzZiY

This takes the cake.

re. Froome: surely the farcical thing wasn't him running, but the incident which led to it, no?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    Bakunin wrote:

This takes the cake.

re. Froome: surely the farcical thing wasn't him running, but the incident which led to it, no?

What's the great outrage here? I watched a bit of the video and the worst I saw was a bit of swerving. I need a handy gif really.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

This takes the cake.

What's the great outrage here? I watched a bit of the video and the worst I saw was a bit of swerving. I need a handy gif really.
    You need to watch a bit more. You also need to understand that Abbott in blue is second on the GC. She's the best climber. The other three are all teammates and include the leader. They are working together to deliberately box Abbott in every time she tries to atttack.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

This takes the cake.

You need to watch a bit more. You also need to understand that Abbott in blue is second on the GC. She's the best climber. The other three are all teammates and include the leader. They are working together to deliberately box Abbott in every time she tries to attack.

Now wondering what Marian Vos would look like twiddling a Dick Dastardly moustache...

Meanwhile, I can't remember if I watched the stage or not, but Stage 13 of the 2006 tour was a bit of a farce - five riders went on a break (Jens Voigt inevitably one of them), Phonak (protecting Landis, in yellow) deliberately allow them to gain a ridiculous amount of time to try and save themselves from constantly defending yellow until Landis can take it back in the hills. Shortly after Voigt wins the stage, Rabobank (who have been smugly watching Phonak having to control the race up until this point, and riding for Menchov), belatedly realise that 'controlling' is not the same as 'chasing down' and start frantically trying to up the pace in an attempt to keep their chief rival in the yellow jersey. After a few km they give up and slink in with virtually the whole peloton (bar five riders) outside the cut-off.

Landis promptly produced an even bigger farce a few stages later, of course, but for an example of the ludicrous and counter-intuitive tactical situations that the race can find itself in I doubt this could be improved.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

This takes the cake.

You need to watch a bit more. You also need to understand that Abbott in blue is second on the GC. She's the best climber. The other three are all teammates and include the leader. They are working together to deliberately box Abbott in every time she tries to atttack.

Why doesn't she just accelerate into the gap and lean into one of the riders moving across? She doesn't look like she tried all that hard nor did she seem to be complaining at all. Compare with how Kittel complained the other day! Anyway, I'm not sure it is in the same league as the OGE bus, a deflated flamme rouge or a yellow jersey running without his bike up a mountain.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Well because they aren't letting her.

However you look at it it's somewhat unsavoury. It's basically turning cycling into American Football
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    That kind of nonsense just encourages people to say nasty things about women's cycling. Although she should have just crashed into them, serves them right.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    That video isn't farcical, it's just typical women's racing and how 98% of participants choose to ride. NEGATIVE.

It seems to be the only way for most women's races to go. You get one rider who's actually prepared to attack and the others race negative. That's women's racing summed up.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • JSCL wrote:
    That video isn't farcical, it's just typical women's racing and how 98% of participants choose to ride. NEGATIVE.

It seems to be the only way for most women's races to go. You get one rider who's actually prepared to attack and the others race negative. That's women's racing summed up.

Wow. You clearly watch a great deal of women's racing to have become such an expert.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    In all seriousness, about Froome running...

There is a reason you have to have your bike with you if you want to complete the route.

The running without a bike was what turned it from seriously unfortunate accident to front page of every sports news website.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    In all seriousness, about Froome running...

There is a reason you have to have your bike with you if you want to complete the route.

The running without a bike was what turned it from seriously unfortunate accident to front page of every sports news website.

The rule (14) actually says "by bike", not "with a bike".
    The rule addendum (14b) states possible elimination for using pavements, paths and cycle paths.

Spring would look different were the letter of the law followed.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jscl
    edited July 2016
    JSCL wrote:

Wow. You clearly watch a great deal of women's racing to have become such an expert.
    I have done and I know a number of women who race professionally too. I've driven behind Trotty in TT's at races and more. I know and have been around people who run women's teams (both UCI and non) also, I'd like to think I've heard enough voices from the inside and externally on their racing.

The issue with women's teams/racing is that the ability is far more spread out and if you ask many of then who race, they'll even tell you that most of their races are very negative. That's the reason most of them almost always end up in a gallop to the line.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • jscl
    edited July 2016
    JSCL wrote:

Accidental double post.
  • jscl
    JSCL wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

Accidental double post.