Pick a Car

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,924
    Has the used car market gone mad?
    I was looking at buying an Alpina D3 back in 2009. They were £30k new.
    They are now £55k used! :shock:
    http://www.sytner.co.uk/car-search/4443973-alpina-d3-d3-3.0-bi-turbo-5dr-switch-tronic/

And £50k new! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    63 is a great choice but the fuel is a serious issue.

A friend has a C63 AMG 507 edition in white. Whilst it sounds amazing and it feels like you are free falling when he boots it, it ultimately looks like a drug dealers car and does indeed drink fuel for fun.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103
    As someone else said Jaguar XF and though I like manual cars for journey described I'd want an auto. Also, maybe one of the new Merc C Class plug in hybrids.
    A plug in car for 454 miles?
    I doubt that would work as advertised and would mainly be fuel driven. Not available until 2017 anyway.

You'd probably take a couple of stops on a trip of that length so a free charge at the services. It would still be economical on that length of drive in hybrid mode. As for availability, several of my colleagues have them on order for delivery in the Autumn so they'll be upset to find out they won't be available for over another year!! :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,682
    I'd buy a petrol engine. I don't do enough miles to warrant a diesel, petrol engines sound so much better. A lot of people with modern diesels have had horrendous bills when things like the dpf have needed replacing. Old diesels were awful in almost every way, but servicing was minimal and there wasn't much to go wrong.
    I'd probably go the M3, S4, 911 route. How much is a used F type? Presumably too much for the budget. Much as I like old cars £30k barely buys a good TR6 these days and they do get tiring on a long drive.
  • pblakeney
    F-Type is too new for the budget.
    It would be a consideration in a couple of years.
    Depreciation. That's why I buy used.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    all rather depends on the route.

Up the motorway, an ananymous big engined diesel. Phaeton or similar.

For small twisty country roads, the new MX-5

For a wafty sense of occasion with the odd squirt along a B road, porsche 993.
    Insert bike here:
  • veronese68
    Jensen Interceptor. Won't lose any money which will offset the running costs, the FF even had 4 wheel drive and anti lock brakes as I recall. Not sure how well they worked though.
  • pblakeney
    all rather depends on the route.

Up the motorway, an ananymous big engined diesel. Phaeton or similar.

For small twisty country roads, the new MX-5

For a wafty sense of occasion with the odd squirt along a B road, porsche 993.
    That's why I picked the route. It covers all 3.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2015
    Jensen Interceptor. Won't lose any money which will offset the running costs, the FF even had 4 wheel drive and anti lock brakes as I recall. Not sure how well they worked though.
    A fine looking car to sit in but would it get all the way there?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Random Friday musings.....

Say you were to be driving from Newquay to Newcastle which car would you choose?
    Just you and your partner with luggage for a week.
    Budget £30k, probably used.

Speed is constrained by congestion and cameras so comfort and fun are the key deciders.

At this time of year, you ll be sitting in traffic getting out of Newquay, heavy traffic on the A30, M5 congested all the way to Brum, A42M solid traffic, M1 and A1 solid traffic.

what part is the fun bit ? :lol:

in all seriousness, i d fly.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,018
    Unlike you lot I'm not that much of a car nut but I've always fancied but never owned a Merc so maybe whatever Merc estate I can get used for 30k. It may not be as much fun as some of the stuff on this thread but compared to my current Fiat Doblo I'm sure it'll feel like an F1 car.

Not sure what other options there are similar to that or how good Mercs are these days but I still think the Mercedes badge carries a bit of class and I've always liked big estate cars (do Merc do a big estate car ?) - a favourite was the Peugeot 505 7 seater and I had one of the old volvo estates which I quite enjoyed owning too. A bit thing for me is the driving position - I like to sit fairly upright and I'm reasonably tall with a long torso so a lot of modern cars just have too low an eyeline for me - I want to be able to see the traffic lights without bending my neck to the side.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • veronese68
    A fine looking car to sit in but would it all the way there?
    Mechanically I'd think they would be pretty good. Understressed Yank V8, 7.2litre I think, with gearbox to suit, yanks do a lot of mileage. Not sure about the rest of it though I don't know enough about them. They do look cool which must be a factor. Should be quite comfortable.
    A guy round the corner had a DBS V8 as his daily runner. Said it was completely reliable as it had a big Ford V8 in it rather than the more fragile, but more powerful, Aston V8.
  • pblakeney
    At this time of year, you ll be sitting in traffic getting out of Newquay, heavy traffic on the A30, M5 congested all the way to Brum, A42M solid traffic, M1 and A1 solid traffic.

what part is the fun bit ? :lol:

in all seriousness, i d fly.
    No need to get serious.
    It's a hypothetical road test. I'd do it in February on quieter roads. :P
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    mambo80 does have a point, I've flown south to "up norf" before and for £30k you could get a decent 6 seater.
    Living MY dream.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    too many options,

1 car garage an RS6 with the lambo v10 engine. But otherwise I'd be tempted with a boxter, s2000, 350z with change to do some more.

Doubt I could get a GTR at 30k
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,524
    True, but he didn't mention fuel economy in the original brief :) The new C63 biturbo V8 looks like an absolute belter.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    True, but he didn't mention fuel economy in the original brief :) The new C63 biturbo V8 looks like an absolute belter.
    True.
    But I did have a budget. Which means it is not "money no object".
    This is "real world" hypothetical. If such a thing exists. Unfortunately.
    If you are getting less mpg than a 911, then why not get the 911?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    too many options,

1 car garage an RS6 with the lambo v10 engine. But otherwise I'd be tempted with a boxter, s2000, 350z with change to do some more.

Doubt I could get a GTR at 30k
    Probably not.
    But if you absolutely, positively had too.........
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201507095063901?onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&channel=cars&sort=default&radius=1500&price-to=35000&model=gt-r&page=1&search-target=usedcars&postcode=de221aa&make=nissan&logcode=p
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,069
    Unlike you lot I'm not that much of a car nut but I've always fancied but never owned a Merc so maybe whatever Merc estate I can get used for 30k. It may not be as much fun as some of the stuff on this thread but compared to my current Fiat Doblo I'm sure it'll feel like an F1 car.

Not sure what other options there are similar to that or how good Mercs are these days but I still think the Mercedes badge carries a bit of class and I've always liked big estate cars (do Merc do a big estate car ?) - a favourite was the Peugeot 505 7 seater and I had one of the old volvo estates which I quite enjoyed owning too. A bit thing for me is the driving position - I like to sit fairly upright and I'm reasonably tall with a long torso so a lot of modern cars just have too low an eyeline for me - I want to be able to see the traffic lights without bending my neck to the side.

Well, I have a 220CDi Merc. I have had 3 of them. My first was a W123 series.

Here it is after 6 years restoring it whilst using it pretty much all the time:

e6bdbb2ebd683111c603d043fe4330a2.jpg

An outstanding car :cry::cry::cry: I miss it. Drove all around Europe in the thing and even over the Alps and the Pyrenees without a stutter, despite the altitude. I'd have another one in a shot.
    Sold it and bought this for £1100, no MOT, Tax or history. Cost an MOT, a slide pin for the left brake caliper, a lower suspension arm and 4 tyres to get it on the road:

3920e50785faf9569ce1aaed2e717fda.jpg

The C200 Sport was probably the most fun car I have ever owned. Only 135bhp so not really powerful but perfectly balanced and so difficult to get the back end to pop out, almost impossible. Came with traction control and LSD's as standard. If you look on Autotrader, you can pick up clean examples for 7 to 8 hundred quid. I am looking for a very clean one with a black leather interior and that metallic blue. Then the 220cdi will get scrapped. There are versions of it. The C200 Sport Kompressor packs 213 bhp!! Very juicy though and I doubt it will have the same poise and balance with that amount of grunt of the C200 Sport injection.
    The 220cdi is tinny in build quality. Mine is suffering metal worm badly yet the engine and auto box is impeccable and never let me down. I have just about replaced every suspension unit on it. Despite all that, I have put 39,000 trouble free miles on it and can still get 60+ mpg on a run. Even if you push it, the fuel consumption is good.
    Mercs are not nearly the build quality that they used to be. I have a sprayer friend who is chopping out arches on Mercs lass than 4 years old.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,018
    That white Merc is very much my thing - I can see the attraction in genuinely fast cars but I'd be forever thinking a Porsche or whatever would look like a mobile mid life crisis - though I wouldn't mind having the money to make a choice I didn't want a Porsche.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pinno
    That white Merc is very much my thing - I can see the attraction in genuinely fast cars but I'd be forever thinking a Porsche or whatever would look like a mobile mid life crisis - though I wouldn't mind having the money to make a choice I didn't want a Porsche.

It is Beige :P
  • pblakeney
    Annoyingly, I have already been there and was happy.
    Now my father is too old his only regret is having never bought the car he wanted. They were always tools.
    I don't want to have regrets.
    I think most of the cars listed here are cars I would like to own but as I couldn't afford them all, I may have to pick one, one day. It will be a nice problem to have, but a problem none the less.
    Regardless of all the typing and reading though, what will decide for me will be the test drive. If you like driving then you just know when you are behind the wheel of the right one.
    E.g. the last 2 times I went car shopping an Audi was best on paper. I happily walked away from all that I have test driven. Too nose heavy and lifeless.

By the way, has anyone else noticed a prevalence of 15 plate cars in what can only be optimistically called metallic beige? Why anyone would make them astounds me and as for people buying them, well.........
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    That...Porsche.
    Annoyingly...lifeless.

By...well.........

The thing is Blakey, if we lived in the Union of Communist Kingdom of Britain, you would only have a Trabant to choose from and you would be happy with your choice.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,524
    True.
    But I did have a budget. Which means it is not "money no object".
    This is "real world" hypothetical. If such a thing exists. Unfortunately.
    If you are getting less mpg than a 911, then why not get the 911?
    You said you needed space for luggage which pretty much rules out the 911 unless you travel extremely light. As for purchase price, the last generation C63 (6.3l V8 NA) should be within reach. Then its down to you and your right foot. Buut as said above, if you really want fuel economy then go big capacity diesel.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    You said you needed space for luggage which pretty much rules out the 911 unless you travel extremely light.
    Three airline carry on bags will suffice. And one of those is my camera bag. Is that extreme?
    It has taken a while but I had managed to reduce my wife's luggage dramatically. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    That...Porsche.
    Annoyingly...lifeless.

By...well.........

The thing is Blakey, if we lived in the Union of Communist Kingdom of Britain, you would only have a Trabant to choose from and you would be happy with your choice.
    First world problem?
    Obviously.
    And getting a "nice" car before things go pear shaped might be a good idea.
    Then again, so would waiting on the glut of off loaded unaffordable cars.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Unlike you lot I'm not that much of a car nut but I've always fancied but never owned a Merc so maybe whatever Merc estate I can get used for 30k. It may not be as much fun as some of the stuff on this thread but compared to my current Fiat Doblo I'm sure it'll feel like an F1 car.

Well, I have a 220CDi Merc. I have had 3 of them. My first was a W123 series.

Here it is after 6 years restoring it whilst using it pretty much all the time:

e6bdbb2ebd683111c603d043fe4330a2.jpg

An outstanding car :cry::cry::cry: I miss it. Drove all around Europe in the thing and even over the Alps and the Pyrenees without a stutter, despite the altitude. I'd have another one in a shot.
    Sold it and bought this for £1100, no MOT, Tax or history. Cost an MOT, a slide pin for the left brake caliper, a lower suspension arm and 4 tyres to get it on the road:

3920e50785faf9569ce1aaed2e717fda.jpg

The C200 Sport was probably the most fun car I have ever owned. Only 135bhp so not really powerful but perfectly balanced and so difficult to get the back end to pop out, almost impossible. Came with traction control and LSD's as standard. If you look on Autotrader, you can pick up clean examples for 7 to 8 hundred quid. I am looking for a very clean one with a black leather interior and that metallic blue. Then the 220cdi will get scrapped. There are versions of it. The C200 Sport Kompressor packs 213 bhp!! Very juicy though and I doubt it will have the same poise and balance with that amount of grunt of the C200 Sport injection.
    The 220cdi is tinny in build quality. Mine is suffering metal worm badly yet the engine and auto box is impeccable and never let me down. I have just about replaced every suspension unit on it. Despite all that, I have put 39,000 trouble free miles on it and can still get 60+ mpg on a run. Even if you push it, the fuel consumption is good.
    Mercs are not nearly the build quality that they used to be. I have a sprayer friend who is chopping out arches on Mercs lass than 4 years old.
    I love the old W123s.
    Re Mercs. Just sold my C200 Kompressor estate (2000 model). Owned it for 3 years and lost a couple of hundred quid on it. Only 163 bhp but great fun to drive and being the estate it was really practical. As you say though, shabby bodywork is a turn off. Otherwise they are really quite cheap to run. One day I will have the balls to get an S Class.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Anyway, back OT: Golf GTI. Mk 2, for about £300. Thrash the living daylights out of it, and at the end scrap it for £50. Then go to the pub with the £50.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pblakeney
    Anyway, back OT: Golf GTI. Mk 2, for about £300. Thrash the living daylights out of it, and at the end scrap it for £50. Then go to the pub with the £50.
    Ah, but as stated earlier, this is a hypothetical road test for a car to be used on a regular basis for many years and hundreds of thousands of miles.
    Not a one off road trip.
    Veronese68 wrote: