Eneco Tour *Spoilers*

1235»

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Chuffed to bits to wake up this morning and discover that former Bretagne-Schuller rider, 2008 European and World Junior Road Race champion and most definitely my man, Johan Le Bon had taken his first World Tour victory. May it be the first of many!
  • Saw the Golden Kilometer marks for tomorrows stage on the road this morning... Its over the top of Berendries and into the flat main road they turn onto afterwards. Should be fun.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Late to this party - whats the golden kilometer?

Geit van Gent - what's the weather like over there, doesnt look too nice on the tellybox and im thinking of taking the bike somewhere and sleeping out tonight

Edit - rain drops on the camera lens answer that question... :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Aaahh, the Ardennes in the rain, how i have missed thee
    - @ddraver
  • One climb is all that it takes to change Lotto Jumbo from train drivers into bus drivers.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Late to this party - whats the golden kilometer?

Geit van Gent - what's the weather like over there, doesnt look too nice on the tellybox and im thinking of taking the bike somewhere and sleeping out tonight

Edit - rain drops on the camera lens answer that question... :(

horible. not cold but lashing it down
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    Goddamit my flipping campig kit must be cursed

When it's sunny, Houfallize is really nice btw...

Route 6 is a nice MTB route too
    - @ddraver
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Very strong Wellens. Solo with 11 km to go, riding away from GVA and the chasing group. Like last year taking control of the GC in the Ardennes, but this time not by surprise
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Late to this party - whats the golden kilometer?

... :(

3 sprints in succession each with 3,2,1 time bonuses. Been one on every stage, seems to have worked ok without being race changing.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wow thats a very impressive margin for Wellens to carve out. Benoot is 9th in GC along with an interesting mix of riders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    Very strong Wellens. Solo with 11 km to go, riding away from GVA and the chasing group. Like last year taking control of the GC in the Ardennes, but this time not by surprise

No other comments at all? This was a pretty decent finale, and very impressive Wellens display. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BntrdzL14LU
    The unpopularity of Eneco Tour on here has very little to do with the quality of the racing, does it?
  • I've really enjoyed it this year

The riders make a race out of it
  • ddraver
    No, not really. It's just the timing of it after the tour. I had it on yesterday but I just had too many other things to do and ended up watching it so infrequently that I couldnt really follow it. Watching on Sporza didnt help because I had to properly concentrate to understand the commentary. I think most post-Tour tours have the same problem for me.
    - @ddraver
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    No other comments at all? This was a pretty decent finale, and very impressive Wellens display. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BntrdzL14LU
    The unpopularity of Eneco Tour on here has very little to do with the quality of the racing, does it?
    Terrific, outstanding and you won't get better anywhere.

Eneco started poorly organised with Dutch Police telling a Belgian rider to stop while in Belgium and since then the race has improved greatly.
    The formular is about right these days.

Today, might not be so good with the Top GC boys watching one another and the Flanders lads having a go but I expect some interesting action.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    There has been some good racing in this, yesterday's stage was particularly entertaining - great ride by Wellens. Only spoiled by the commentary, how Carlton Kirby manages to commentate on so many races yet still be completely clueless amazes me. He seems to have no interest in learning anything - he'd rather talk about "Phil Gil's" socks than remember lesser known riders names - and appeared to think that yesterday's stage wasn't good to watch, presumably because Wellens won it on his own so Carlton couldn't get ridiculously over-excited at the finish. Having him commentate on the Eneco Tour and then listening to Rob Hatch commentate on the Arctic Race of Norway immediately afterwards is like night and day.
  • I've had the bizarre experience of getting held up by the race on my way back from a day out and getting home in time to watch the finish on telly.

@gietvangent
  • FJS
    Last year Wellens won a bit by stealth, but this year clearly really the strongest. Not bad for a 24 year old. A bit helped by BMC infighting maybe
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Last year Wellens won a bit by stealth, but this year clearly really the strongest. Not bad for a 24 year old. A bit helped by BMC infighting maybe

Sounds like BMC were racing against each other in Norway too. An odd team, can be utterly united in one race, i.e. the Tour, but racing against each other openly in other races.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    In GVA and Gilbert they have 2 very similar riders (both strong, and able to jump uphill with a fast finish) and both are so competitive that they often crossover and are counterproductive towards each other. Gilbert is the better rider at converting things (as the protected rider) to wins but Van avermaet is probably slightly stronger, but often the bridesmaid.

Maybe they should just target different events?

As for Wellens, very impressive.
  • In GVA and Gilbert they have 2 very similar riders (both strong, and able to jump uphill with a fast finish) and both are so competitive that they often crossover and are counterproductive towards each other. Gilbert is the better rider at converting things (as the protected rider) to wins but Van avermaet is probably slightly stronger, but often the bridesmaid.

The two of them don't really like each other either, which only adds to the comedy.

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643

Sounds like BMC were racing against each other in Norway too. An odd team, can be utterly united in one race, i.e. the Tour, but racing against each other openly in other races.

I didn't think that BMC were racing against each other in Norway. Hermans (in the leader's jersey) had a mechanical and got isolated. Dillier followed the attack and did minimal work in the final kms to take the win. He was never in a position to take overall victory but could at least salvage a stage win for the team.
  • frenchfighter
    bettiniphoto_0219462_1_full_1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • If he's got kids his they probably have the surname Wellens, whether the first name is Tim I haven't a scooby.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    In GVA and Gilbert they have 2 very similar riders (both strong, and able to jump uphill with a fast finish) and both are so competitive that they often crossover and are counterproductive towards each other. Gilbert is the better rider at converting things (as the protected rider) to wins but Van avermaet is probably slightly stronger, but often the bridesmaid.

The two of them don't really like each other either, which only adds to the comedy.

Yup.

Phil Gil did to a monster turn for GvA in the Worlds last year though, so fair play.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Saw this ride the other day.

He's quite something isn't he?
  • FJS
    Paul was his uncle. His dad, Leo, and another uncle, Johan, were also professionals. Uncle Paul was the highest achieving, with top 10s in the TdF GC.
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks FJS.
    Contador is the Greatest