I want this now...

124»

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    So is that not the same as the suspension manufacturer saying you can set the suspension up anyway you want but we will still control how it works.

No, they're saying they will make your shock be in its best setting, all of the time, on the fly.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The simplest analogy I can come up with here is imagine the Fox CTD system but instead of have 3 set positions between open and closed, you can run the system at any position between these two bookends. Now on top of that imagine an electronically controlled system that will constantly adjust this position dependant on the current terrain being ridden and how it is being ridden without rider input.

Clearly correct shock setup by the rider is still the most important component in the system.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • So is that not the same as the suspension manufacturer saying you can set the suspension up anyway you want but we will still control how it works.

No, they're saying they will make your shock be in its best setting, all of the time, on the fly.

Time will tell, someone has still had to program it and tell the unit how to behave. So the unit will follow its program. And that might be wrong given certain situations.
  • The simplest analogy I can come up with here is imagine the Fox CTD system but instead of have 3 set positions between open and closed, you can run the system at any position between these two bookends. Now on top of that imagine an electronically controlled system that will constantly adjust this position dependant on the current terrain being ridden and how it is being ridden without rider input.

Clearly correct shock setup by the rider is still the most important component in the system.

Good analogy and I agree with you, I understand how it works.

Does it come with a big hammer for the off button for when it is not performing or interfering when you don't want it to?
  • Angus Young
    The simplest analogy I can come up with here is imagine the Fox CTD system but instead of have 3 set positions between open and closed, you can run the system at any position between these two bookends. Now on top of that imagine an electronically controlled system that will constantly adjust this position dependant on the current terrain being ridden and how it is being ridden without rider input.

Good to see someone's paying attention! :D
  • I think the make or break for this is whether Fox employ a dumb system or a system that is able to learn and be adaptable to an individual's style of riding. Much like how a modern car will learn how the driver changes gear, uses the brakes and corners and adapt accordingly to offer the best possible setup.

The ability to override or adjust the range of adjustments within various scenarios would be such a bonus. For example I may want LSC to sit within a certain target range for climbing so to be able to force the system to stay within that preset range for that particular scenario would be very interesting.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Angus Young
    I think the make or break for this is whether Fox employ a dumb system or a system that is able to learn and be adaptable to an individual's style of riding. Much like how a modern car will learn how the driver changes gear, uses the brakes and corners and adapt accordingly to offer the best possible setup.

The ability to override or adjust the range of adjustments within various scenarios would be such a bonus. For example I may want LSC to sit within a certain target range for climbing so to be able to force the system to stay within that preset range for that particular scenario would be very interesting.

I think the Ei system does that, so I would imagine this system does, too. It might say it in the article but I haven't read it since I posted it so I don't remember.
  • I think the make or break for this is whether Fox employ a dumb system or a system that is able to learn and be adaptable to an individual's style of riding. Much like how a modern car will learn how the driver changes gear, uses the brakes and corners and adapt accordingly to offer the best possible setup.

A self learning AI suspension unit sounds very dangerous. Fox AI could become self aware and start taking over to protect itself. We need to send someone back.

Sorry couldn't resist.

But back to the point if it is a dumb system then why would Fox try this? And one question will the end user be able to upgrade the firmware as the product develops or tweak it? If you can't upgrade firmware or tweak parameters. Then IMO the product has failed before it has launched.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fox launched CTD, that was pretty dumb! They tried to simplify things with just three settings, which just reduced refinement of low speed compression. The adjust feature remedies that, and now they have altered the setting where the LSC works.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    But the question is.......if my shock is set up well and my suspension performs as claimed to by manufacturers do I need this? On any given climb its not my suspension that holds me back, its my legs. On any given downhill my bike can go faster and deal with the hits better than my skill and brain will ever allow me so this is $xxxxxxx cost for no benefit to me? But undoubtedly it will be slightly heavier...

I replaced my old Fox Evo junk with RS kit which was money spent for an immediate benefit (suspension that did something approximating what I suspected).

I could actually see me going Di2 since I have a dodgy thumb and an easier push might help me out.

I run tubeless because its awesome vs tubes as far as I can see (albeit that my rear tyre is seeping air again).

I run 1x10 because apparently I have a masochistic side I never knew about.

What's the cost benefit analysis for electric suspension?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • If they get it correct it would have to be one good complicated algorithm.

For this to work IMO it would need to monitor force placed on the fork from all axis and differentiate between all forces in order to provide corrective action. I would like to be proved wrong but I think this is asking too much.

Could the unit in question compensate for brake dive? Does it know the weight of the rider? What is it comparing the data to?

Different weights will affect how the unit handles. How would the unit differentiate the weight difference in riders.

Such an instance could occur where you could fool the unit (not by choice) and you are a heavier rider and the unit deems it safe to lock the suspension out. Then you take a hard landing possibly braking something.

Whats safeguards are in place?

I'm just hypothesizing btw.
  • Also I would love to see the warranty, what happens if the unit suddenly fails and sticks in the firm mode when you are doing a drop/jump etc. A solenoid has an infinite amount of cycles.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Also I would love to see the warranty, what happens if the unit suddenly fails and sticks in the firm mode when you are doing a drop/jump etc. A solenoid has an infinite amount of cycles.

Maybe they can sell an extended warranty like with a washing machine?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Wow some rational answers for once.

Yes it does answer my questions, I thought everyone was against using components or predetermined settings as on previous threads it felt like I was being burnt at the stake.

New technology I am all for it, I work in electronics if I was against it I might as well chose a new career.

I read the original post perfectly, you still have to set the suspension manually, but it will still be working within predefined data limits. So is that not the same as the suspension manufacturer saying you can set the suspension up anyway you want but we will still control how it works.

I would like to try it for sure, but I dislike fox atm as my RS XC28 seems to work better than my Float32?

Wonder if ABS will ever filter down :twisted:
    Steady now ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5