I want this now...

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you look at all the suspension design blurb that the manufacturers dish out 'fully active, not affected by pedal forces, zero bob' etc etc, I am surprised we need it...
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    If you look at all the suspension design blurb that the manufacturers dish out 'fully active, not affected by pedal forces, zero bob' etc etc, I am surprised we need it...

Lol! Good point.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418

You will be suggesting i only need one bionicon next
  • Angus Young
    Actually everyone I know with a dropper post except for one has ended up removing it. Go Figure.

No idea why anyone would want to ride without one. Life is better with a dropper and there's nothing better about riding without one.
  • Angus Young
    Actually everyone I know with a dropper post except for one has ended up removing it. Go Figure.

No idea why anyone would want to ride without one. Life is better with a dropper and there's nothing better about riding without one.
    Depends on the rider. The general stories are 1) Never really used it much so I took it off. 2) Wasn't worth the weight penalty (Trek Superfly) so he is a weight weenie and 3) When a seal blew for the second time he never got around to putting it back on. As I indicated above we are essentially an XC kinda group so the race to the top of the hill is just as important as the race to the bottom.

When I got the Kona it came with it and I figured I'd just use it now and again on the steeper stuff. But now I find I use it all the time, instinctively, on any kind of riding. It's even a natural part of my getting on and off routine now.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798

Depends on the rider. The general stories are 1) Never really used it much so I took it off. 2) Wasn't worth the weight penalty (Trek Superfly) so he is a weight weenie and 3) When a seal blew for the second time he never got around to putting it back on. As I indicated above we are essentially an XC kinda group so the race to the top of the hill is just as important as the race to the bottom.

When I got the Kona it came with it and I figured I'd just use it now and again on the steeper stuff. But now I find I use it all the time, instinctively, on any kind of riding. It's even a natural part of my getting on and off routine now.
    Yeah, I'll admit I was a naysayer at first, but I'm fully converted now! I think part of that was due to all of the reverb's predecessors essentially being pretty naff, and the type with the underseat lever not making a great deal of sense to me.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    I still think there is quite a bit of evolution in the dropper - the bushings and seals will get better, lighter of course and more travel. I would be interested in putting one on the Zaskar if could have one with 7 or 8 inch of travel and weighed 350g. But maybe pushing it too much!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What would put me off is if the electronics die does that mean I need a new shock? Does it limit tuning? It's water tight as new but how about in a year or two? Is there any adjustment or modulation within the system or is it an on or off switch?
    My Cane Creek shock has the most efficient climb setting I have ever used, I wouldn't feel the need to spend £500 replacing what I think is already excellent.

And yet, every review I've read about the CC shock talks about reliability issues but that didn't put you off...

I bought mine before those reviews. After nearly a year I have had no problems with mine.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I still think there is quite a bit of evolution in the dropper - the bushings and seals will get better, lighter of course and more travel. I would be interested in putting one on the Zaskar if could have one with 7 or 8 inch of travel and weighed 350g. But maybe pushing it too much!
    While not really what you are suggesting, I'm getting a Decathlon 'crotch' dropper and using a QR seatpost clamp, lightweight rigid post on for XC rides and swap to the dropper (no remote on purpose) for more rides where it makes more sense, getting a Decathlon dropper shipped to my local store while its still at the sale price, so a £30 gamble (and after he sale probably worth that on ebay if I don't like it).

There are a fair few droppers appearing on my local XC club ride, most seem to be used when we stop so they can stay sitting comfortably on the bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    While not really what you are suggesting, I'm getting a Decathlon 'crotch' dropper and using a QR seatpost clamp, lightweight rigid post on for XC rides and swap to the dropper (no remote on purpose) for more rides where it makes more sense, getting a Decathlon dropper shipped to my local store while its still at the sale price, so a £30 gamble (and after he sale probably worth that on ebay if I don't like it).

There are a fair few droppers appearing on my local XC club ride, most seem to be used when we stop so they can stay sitting comfortably on the bike!

Why does everyone dismiss the 'crotch' droppers? Is it really that hard to reach down and pul the lever? Haven't tried one but doesn't seem that hard. And you lose a bit of weight and complication into the deal.
  • ilovedirt

Why does everyone dismiss the 'crotch' droppers? Is it really that hard to reach down and pul the lever? Haven't tried one but doesn't seem that hard. And you lose a bit of weight and complication into the deal.
    Quite often I find myself getting chucked into a steep/tech section off something a bit more pedally unexpectedly, and that split second use of the dropper just at the top of it is a really useful thing. Now imagine taking one of your hands off the bars to do the same.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Angus Young
    Quite often I find myself getting chucked into a steep/tech section off something a bit more pedally unexpectedly, and that split second use of the dropper just at the top of it is a really useful thing. Now imagine taking one of your hands off the bars to do the same.

Yeah, I guess. I do find myself using it without thinking so reaching down might be a distraction. I'd certainly consider on a cheaper bike where I was watching the pennies, though.
  • ilovedirt

Yeah, I guess. I do find myself using it without thinking so reaching down might be a distraction. I'd certainly consider on a cheaper bike where I was watching the pennies, though.
    Yeah, just means you'd have to think ahead a bit more. My Ariel that's turning up tomorrow has a crotch dropper on it. First thing i'm doing is sticking my reverb on there.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    It's like many other things in cycling, is how you ride and your preference. No real need for one on my XC bike - the terrain I ride doesn't really call for much post down action, and due to my medical condition I stop and start a lot anyway. If there is an extended section of very steep terrain I may slam the saddle to the bottom, 8 inches.
  • Interesting product.

Haven't read all the replies.

But my thoughts and treat them as you will.

I did some threads on bike setup one being the geometry and the second being a device that attaches to your suspension and basically gives you a telemetry of how your suspension is behaving. These threads didn't go down well as I was hinting at predetermined actions per given data input. I was met by it's too much of a personal thing.

Is this product not the same kind of autonomous thinking that takes it away from a rider? That everyone was so against?

What next some sort of device that monitors crank torque input and monitors wheel output and limits or maximizes the drive , ie, TC?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If it works and proves to be popular then other manufacturers will develop similar products but hopefully better.
    Lappierre have an electronic suspension lock out and it doesn't seem to have taken off as the next big thing.
  • Angus Young
    Lappierre have an electronic suspension lock out and it doesn't seem to have taken off as the next big thing.

Well, considering how conservative mountain bikes seem to be (as this thread proves) it's not surprising. In the end, though, anyone who wants the best suspension will be riding something of this nature.
  • I posted a few similar threads embracing new tech and how it could help people but it was met by it is too personal.

Can anyone give me a demonstration of how this is different, or does this show how fickle the market is?

Don't get me wrong I like it, but I hinted of similar tech in similar application and it was frowned upon.

Question I want to ask, is. if you could get a bike fitted to your measurements (your body measurements asks for certain size components) and this is ignored as being too personal.

Then how is suspension that thinks for you better than what I was asking for?

Sorry if I am repeating myself. But what is the difference between autonomous geometry and autonomous suspension?
  • ilovedirt
    I posted a few similar threads embracing new tech and how it could help people but it was met by it is too personal.

Can anyone give me a demonstration of how this is different, or does this show how fickle the market is?

Don't get me wrong I like it, but I hinted of similar tech in similar application and it was frowned upon.

Question I want to ask, is. if you could get a bike fitted to your measurements (your body measurements asks for certain size components) and this is ignored as being too personal.

Sorry if I am repeating myself. But what is the difference between autonomous geometry and autonomous suspension?
    You're looking at it all wrong. People aren't objecting to using technology/autonomy. If that were the case, nobody would buy Hope components, as they're all CNCd (I'm aware that pretty much all modern bike components use CAD/CAM at almost every stage of their development now, however Hope use it as part of their marketing strategy).

People are objecting to where in the process technology is applied. In my case, I'd rather not use potentially unreliable electronics to operate my bike while I'm riding it. However I'm perfectly happy to let a computer work out my ideal frame geometry, or to machine a chainring for me.

Does that answer your question?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Angus Young
    I posted a few similar threads embracing new tech and how it could help people but it was met by it is too personal.

Short answer is, people don't like change. They'll talk all sorts of guff to try to make it sounds as if they're being rational, but it's simply fear of the new, a disruption in the familiar.
  • ilovedirt

Short answer is, people don't like change. They'll talk all sorts of guff to try to make it sounds as if they're being rational, but it's simply fear of the new, a disruption in the familiar.
    I feel this is aimed partly at me - I work in the innovation department at a university, I embrace change and new technology. However, I don't want to invest lots of money in something that would go on my only mountain bike, that I ride most evenings. It would be like buying an exotic italian sports car for the daily commute. I'm sure it would be great, for the first few drives. Then it would royally cheese me off no end when it stopped working properly. And when we're dealing with new tech, it is often "when", and not "if".
    If I had a few bikes and lots of money, yeah sure I'd give it a go, but I'm not going to waste my money/time this early in the product's life when it'll likely be more reliable and accessible in a few years time.

You're strangely persistant with this notion that everyone is just "scared" of new tech... Everyone has their own reasons you know.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Angus Young

I feel this is aimed partly at me - I work in the innovation department at a university, I embrace change and new technology. However, I don't want to invest lots of money in something that would go on my only mountain bike, that I ride most evenings. It would be like buying an exotic italian sports car for the daily commute. I'm sure it would be great, for the first few drives. Then it would royally cheese me off no end when it stopped working properly. And when we're dealing with new tech, it is often "when", and not "if".
    If I had a few bikes and lots of money, yeah sure I'd give it a go, but I'm not going to waste my money/time this early in the product's life when it'll likely be more reliable and accessible in a few years time.

You're strangely persistant with this notion that everyone is just "scared" of new tech... Everyone has their own reasons you know.

Everybody really. It's human nature to like the familiar and distrust the new.
  • supersonic
    It's not new - but it is refined more than the stuff we saw in the 90s. Only time will tell if it is better than a good shock properly set up. But better is subjective anyway.
  • Angus Young
    edited August 2015
    It's not new - but it is refined more than the stuff we saw in the 90s. Only time will tell if it is better than a good shock properly set up. But better is subjective anyway.

Yes, not new in and of itself, but new, as in the next thing to come along, for most riders. Apart from anything in the '90s the Ei system has been doing the rounds for the last two years or so.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380

You're looking at it all wrong. People aren't objecting to using technology/autonomy. If that were the case, nobody would buy Hope components, as they're all CNCd (I'm aware that pretty much all modern bike components use CAD/CAM at almost every stage of their development now, however Hope use it as part of their marketing strategy).

People are objecting to where in the process technology is applied. In my case, I'd rather not use potentially unreliable electronics to operate my bike while I'm riding it. However I'm perfectly happy to let a computer work out my ideal frame geometry, or to machine a chainring for me.

Does that answer your question?

This the same view i would take, simple and reliable works for me. Its not it being new but just it is a gadget that i don't need, similar to 1 x 11 gearing doesn't suit my riding which is another recent option but not complex or electronic. Short stems, wide bars, 29" wheels all work well for me but then 26" wheels did for a very long time.

My new road bike will have hydraulic disc brakes which will get me burnt at a stake by a mob on the road bike part of this forum ;)
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827

You, and others here, have missed the point or haven't read the article properly. It has nothing to do with shock set up: you still have to do that yourself. Do it well and the suspension performs well, do it badly and it performs badly.

What Fox are proposing is a way of switching the compression damping between almost locked out and fully open to suit the trail conditions with no rider input.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068

You, and others here, have missed the point or haven't read the article properly. It has nothing to do with shock set up: you still have to do that yourself. Do it well and the suspension performs well, do it badly and it performs badly.

What Fox are proposing is a way of switching the compression damping between almost locked out and fully open to suit the trail conditions with no rider input.

And only time will tell if that is better than a properly set up shock....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827

A "properly set up shock" is moot. This doesn't set up your suspension. It's got NOTHING to do with shock set up. To keep it simple, it's a fancy lock out switch. Only time will tell if it's better than the current CTD/IRD switch.
  • Wow some rational answers for once.

Yes it does answer my questions, I thought everyone was against using components or predetermined settings as on previous threads it felt like I was being burnt at the stake.

New technology I am all for it, I work in electronics if I was against it I might as well chose a new career.

I read the original post perfectly, you still have to set the suspension manually, but it will still be working within predefined data limits. So is that not the same as the suspension manufacturer saying you can set the suspension up anyway you want but we will still control how it works.

I would like to try it for sure, but I dislike fox atm as my RS XC28 seems to work better than my Float32?

Wonder if ABS will ever filter down :twisted:
  • Angus Young

That was his point - this has nothing to do with a properly set up shock.