TdF Stage 14 - Rodez -> Mende **SPOILERS**

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2015
    Looking forward to CyclingTips' Shane "MUTANT" Stokes' piece on journalistic ethics.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    So Porte's been punched, Froome's had p*ss thrown in his face.

This is not acceptable. It's assault. What's it going to be like on the Alpe?

:shock:

A chair? WWF style.

On bocht 7 that's a distinct possibility.

Exactly what I was referring to. Tbh, I thought I had included a vid of them singing their song but obviously forgot :S

This one's got lyrics so you can all learn it before the Alpe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbSDVyBZbqM

Een, twee, drie, vier... Schtaje mag ik je foto? Heb je een voto voor mij? Schatje mag ik je foto? En doe er ook je nummer bij!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    According to CN, in addition to someone throwing urine at Froome, Luke Rowe was spat on and Rohan Dennis punched.
    To bring a little levity to the thread, your post reminded me of this on Caerphilly Mountain. (The boxer fan is Luke Rowe's brother Matt)

474437387ea224ffb8ac1a41a509d5b4.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Jouranlists and twitter scientists ("90% sure Froome is doping") getting the mob riled up. It was always going to happen.
    I genuinely think he'll be physically attacked on Alpe d'Huez - heat, alcohol and twitter is a lethal combination.

Then they need to fully barrier the most heavily occupied parts. Rider safety should never be compromised.

Nah, Pro Go camera in front, identify and jail the f'uckers who think it's alright to assault people.

Job done.

The problem with that is it still allows the f*ckers to ruin someone's Tour before they get arrested.
    I'm not sure there's any realistic way to stop them having the chance to get close enough short of clearing the fans off it completely. Even if they barriered the entire climb they're only going to be waist-high obstacles, it's not going to stop someone who really wants to get into the road. A heavy police presence by the roadside might help a bit though, especially on the upper sections where it's likely to be just the main GC guys riding alone.

I agree. I don't see any way of preventing a real muppet from their muppetry but I think some more pre-emptive moves can be taken. I also think that ASO needs to try and clam the waters a little more.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Looking forward to CyclingTips' Shane "MUTANT" Stokes' piece on journalistic ethics.

"Ethics in Cycling Journalism", I think you'll find.

Which will presumably explain why the boys are getting the gang together now that Michelle Cound (Froome?) is back on that there twatter.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    So Porte's been punched, Froome's had p*ss thrown in his face.

This is not acceptable. It's assault. What's it going to be like on the Alpe?

:shock:

A chair? WWF style.

On bocht 7 that's a distinct possibility.

Exactly what I was referring to. Tbh, I thought I had included a vid of them singing their song but obviously forgot :S

This one's got lyrics so you can all learn it before the Alpe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbSDVyBZbqM

Een, twee, drie, vier... Schtaje mag ik je foto? Heb je een voto voor mij? Schatje mag ik je foto? En doe er ook je nummer bij!

i've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Dutch is just English spoken in a comedy accent, isn't it?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Jouranlists and twitter scientists ("90% sure Froome is doping") getting the mob riled up. It was always going to happen.
    I genuinely think he'll be physically attacked on Alpe d'Huez - heat, alcohol and twitter is a lethal combination.

Then they need to fully barrier the most heavily occupied parts. Rider safety should never be compromised.

Nah, Pro Go camera in front, identify and jail the f'uckers who think it's alright to assault people.

Job done.

The problem with that is it still allows the f*ckers to ruin someone's Tour before they get arrested.

I get your point. Thing is, though, cycling is quite a poor live experience as it is.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    This isn't funny anymore. It's not just the odd incident, it seems to be becoming a daily occurrence.

Anti-Sky bile whipped up by journalists
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Why is all the hatred aimed at Sky riders. Movistar look like getting 2 on the podium and are leading the team competition so why aren't they accused of being dopers (especially when one of their 2 top riders is)? Euro fans really seem to have a problem with anglophone riders doing well.

No-one had the nerve to try anything with Stannard yet though!
  • The_Boy
    Why is all the hatred aimed at Sky riders. Movistar look like getting 2 on the podium and are leading the team competition so why aren't they accused of being dopers (especially when one of their 2 top riders is)? Euro fans really seem to have a problem with anglophone riders doing well.

It's not really Euro fans afaict. Most of the guff on the tweeters is from anglos.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

Not sure it's 'euro' fans in general. Seems more typically French fans with 'their' Tour de France, as long as French riders keep being rubbish. It doesn;t seem to happen (as much as far as I can think of) in Belgium, Spain, Italy, Holland
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

Not sure it's 'euro' fans in general. Seems more typically French fans with 'their' Tour de France, as long as French riders keep being rubbish. It doesn;t seem to happen (as much as far as I can think of) in Belgium, Spain, Italy, Holland

I'm on other forums which are more European (no, not the other place), and there are some who have been spouting revolting anti-Sky, anti-Froome abuse all week which I have not seen from them before.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Piss-throwing scum! I hope the law catches up with this piece of scum.

DD.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    According to CN, in addition to someone throwing urine at Froome, Luke Rowe was spat on and Rohan Dennis punched.

I get why they're picking on sky riders, although I think it's utterly reprehensible, but what have they got against Dennis??
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Makes you wonder what effect social media and internet 'culture' of today would have had ohhh . . . say about 15 years ago??
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • RichN95.
    In my opinion, it's a desire to recreate Armstrong. He was the Woodstock of doping stories and many missed it, were on the wrong side or didn't have social media. So they want a do-over.
    Sky fit the bill - English speaking and willing to answer questions (with a sprinkling of Murdoch). You're not going to get much of a scandal out of a taciturn Ekimov, so let's go for Brailsford, who talks like a corporate manager most of the time.
    It also seems that most of the suspicion is generated by people who aren't at any other races and in many cases aren't at this one. It's noticable that the closer to the heart of cycling you get, the less suspicion of Sky there is. As Chavanel said - no-one in peloton has a problem with Sky. It reminds me of a quote I saw recently about Piers Morgan - "Everyone thinks Piers Morgan is a prick except those that have met him"
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063

It's not really Euro fans afaict. Most of the guff on the tweeters is from anglos.

There's a strong element of jealousy and anti-britishness among the English language rabble rousers. Digger hates his compatriot Walsh with a passion. They're all entited to their opinions, but finding it funny when riders are assaulted at work is going too far.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063

There's a strong element of jealousy and anti-britishness among the English language rabble rousers. Digger hates his compatriot Walsh with a passion. They're all entited to their opinions, but finding it funny when riders are assaulted at work is going too far.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    It reminds me of a quote I saw recently about Piers Morgan - "Everyone thinks Piers Morgan is a prick except those that have met him"

Did that one end "they know he is" :wink:
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763

I get why they're picking on sky riders, although I think it's utterly reprehensible, but what have they got against Dennis??

BMC is an American registered team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMC_Racing_Team
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

As far as I understand he just got hit by a fan who was too close rather than someone deliberately punching him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Spend time, effort and money going to watch TDF. Piss in a cup and throw it at some one. Seek help!
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    Joy for cycling fans globally with a stage such as this. A million times better than the GC battle on the Queen stage.

Lots of joy for Cummings on here yet only one of you had him in your squad:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13013600&p=19428760&hilit=Cummings#p19428760
    Nice job smithy21

I am a big fan and am super pleased for him and his team. MTN are a super team and put many of the WT teams combined to shame. Cummings making it rain since leaving Sky and it is telling that he says as much (although not explicitly) in his interview. Proper win as well with no riding wheels BS, just powering through to the finish.

Great effort from Sagan (surprised he didnt go on the descent to gain some time), nice move from Bardet (great style climbing) and I enjoyed watching Pinot claw his way back. Annoying watching the others ride FDJ wheels for so long though.

On the GC front, congratulations Quintana on the early move and sustained finish, Valverde showing his talent once again, Contador looking laboured but moving up slowly, glad Geraint dropped down and very pleased that loser TJ dropped down. Nibali looking a little better and moving up the GC. Froome is just incredibly ugly on the bike and has one of the worst styles as a climber I have ever seen, then he tops it off with showing zero class sprinting passed Quintana on the line. Really hope he get smoked in the Alps.

Was looking forward to this stage and it didn't disappoint. Stunning scenery too.

Contador did this 2-3 times to Froome on climbs in the Vuelta last year, lol Love it
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I went there.. Couldn't help it.

It's mad place with a lot of twisted human beings. Don't go there.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I don't condone punching or spitting or anything else of that nature but I struggle to see how you all are so surprised at anti-Sky sentiment. I have said for ages (and you keep telling me I'm wrong) that very, very few people like Sky or Froome. And it is not hard to understand why.

You have cycling that is in the blood of these Europeans, it's tied closely to their culture and people have been riding bikes in these countries before UK public even knew how to use them properly. The sport of professional cycling has been developed from scratch in these countries and they provide the infrastructure, race organization and beautiful landscape for these races to take place. The majority of people watching are from working class backgrounds. There is broadly a way of racing which they all race too.

Then you get Sky come along who try and boss this scene, who throw money at their team, who employ methods and approaches alien to the spirit of the sport, alien to the history of the sport and alien to the fans of the sport. You get a team who has and is changing the face of GT cycling, making it much less interesting, bland, corporate, lacking in respect for the history of the sport, eschewing traditions, and they are seemingly able to develop half a team worth of riders who are able to crush the best of the rest at will.

It really is not hard at all to understand why Sky are not liked.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Then you get Sky come along who try and boss this scene, who throw money at their team, who employ methods and approaches alien to the spirit of the sport, alien to the history of the sport and alien to the fans of the sport.

So you're saying Sky are clean?
  • The_Boy
    I don't condone punching or spitting or anything else of that nature but I struggle to see how you all are so surprised at anti-Sky sentiment. I have said for ages (and you keep telling me I'm wrong) that very, very few people like Sky or Froome. And it is not hard to understand why.

You have cycling that is in the blood of these Europeans, it's tied closely to their culture and people have been riding bikes in these countries before UK public even knew how to use them properly. The sport of professional cycling has been developed from scratch in these countries and they provide the infrastructure, race organization and beautiful landscape for these races to take place. The majority of people watching are from working class backgrounds. There is broadly a way of racing which they all race too.

Then you get Sky come along who try and boss this scene, who throw money at their team, who employ methods and approaches alien to the spirit of the sport, alien to the history of the sport and alien to the fans of the sport. You get a team who has and is changing the face of GT cycling, making it much less interesting, bland, corporate, lacking in respect for the history of the sport, eschewing traditions, and they are seemingly able to develop half a team worth of riders who are able to crush the best of the rest at will.

I was in France with my family the year Wiggins won. The public reaction was largely positive, imo.

Your post is largely nonsense.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762

Was Froome wearing a short skirt too?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Frenchie - In this case, the anti-Sky sentiment is because there is a frenzy being whipped up that they are doping, based on no evidence. It may be Sky and Froome now, but it could easily be Contador or Quintana.

People generally like Froome - The other riders quite like him too is my understanding.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.

Sky are just advancing what went before. At the 2010 Tour Contador had Hernandez, Tiralongo, de la Fuente and Navarro setting the pace and subduing Schleck. Bruyneel isn't an idiot.

Sky may not be liked. But they are also very much liked. Ultimately they are respected. The top teams are like that. Few like or dislike IAM or Lampre.