Are sky clean or not?

Comments

• CuthbertC
    CuthbertC Posts: 172
    Name another that wasn't US Postal/Disco.

Already have: viewtopic.php?p=19931267#p19931267.
  • CuthbertC
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Mountain train =/= doped

US Postal could afford to employ riders in a mountain train, the same way Sky can. It wasn't the doping that made it a mountain train. It is the same as Sky, lots of good riders paid enough to ride for Lance.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Who were the good clean riders on the Postal train?
  • CuthbertC wrote:

Fair's fair, you didn't go for the example I thought you would.

Liquigas? Got any evidence they were doping? Basso was with Aldo Sassi during his time there?

Banesto: I don't remember them having much of a train. I don't remember seeing any of them apart from Indurain at the sharp end in the mountains. Besides, they didn't really need it with his complete dominance of time trialling.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    CuthbertC wrote:

'Doped or otherwise'? Aren't you claiming that they're clean?

Read again and this time properly:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:
    :?: Based on what I've read in this thread, at least 90% of the posters seem to believe that Sky/Wiggins/Froome are clean.
    If you actually read most of the more reasoned posts on here (not the ones where people come in and write "he's definitely clean" and leave again), most people seem to be of a similar attitude, i.e., you wouldn't bet your house on Froome or any other pro cyclist on being clean but at the moment the "evidence" is almost entirely conjecture and we're more interested in the actual bike racing.

I know that nuanced views don't go down well on the clinic though so I understand the difficulty you have with that.

Other people thinking the same or similar:
    Garry H wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    But on a serious note - no one suspects anything even a little bit suss?
    Anyone with any sense is a little bit suspect of every cyclist, every athlete, but Froome and SKY dont stand out.

That, wot he said.
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Cuthbert: you're right, most people on here think Sky/Froome are clean. Unfortunately, nothing presented really adds up to a smoking gun and we'll all want something more concrete. There is an element of nationalism in the forming of opinions, it's a British-leaning forum, but I think most of us are objective enough to consider real evidence. However, the arguments presented are the same flimsy ones that have been discussed time and time again and don't give evidence of anything.

Edit: what Bobmcstuff said.
    Do I find his sudden transformation into the leading Tour rider of the last 4 years, suss? Yes, yes I do. But I'll settle for waiting to see if anything comes out rather than go screeching Doper Doper around the internet non-stop.

Better things to do with my life, for one thing.

They might be doping, we don't know - but your supposed "evidence" is just a witch hunt. "Guilty until proven innocent" (which conveniently is impossible to prove)
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    CuthbertC wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Mountain train =/= doped

US Postal could afford to employ riders in a mountain train, the same way Sky can. It wasn't the doping that made it a mountain train. It is the same as Sky, lots of good riders paid enough to ride for Lance.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Who were the good clean riders on the Postal train?

Don't know, there might not have been any. But that's not the point. I'll make the point again, just because a team can afford enough good riders to have a mountain train doesn't mean that they are all doping. US Postal probably all were, but they were all doping even if they hadn't ridden as a mountain train.

Mountain train does not automatically equal doping. It's perfectly possible to have a lot of good riders ride a certain tactic well without doping, if the riders are good enough.

It's a bit like saying 'My wife is English, and she loves cats. So that means all English people like cats'. That's very poor logic.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC wrote:

Fair's fair, you didn't go for the example I thought you would.

Liquigas? Got any evidence they were doping? Basso was with Aldo Sassi during his time there?

Banesto: I don't remember them having much of a train. I don't remember seeing any of them apart from Indurain at the sharp end in the mountains. Besides, they didn't really need it with his complete dominance of time trialling.

Liquigas: Di Luca, Basso and Pellizotti all being convicted blood dopers means I know they were doping. Kreuziger only survived his passport case due to a creative excuse. Nibali is just an obvious doper (linked to Ferrari, 4 Grand Tours, leader on Astana, etc). Magni (Pantani's doctor at Mercatone Uno) was a team doctor. I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture.

An interesting little Ferrari story on Liquigas:
    I do not personally know Dr. Zorzoli, but I already mentioned on another article how he made some Biological Passport blood tests of three Liquigas athletes training on Teide in 2010 "disappear", since the Team Doctor (a friend of his) deemed them as "unreliable" and insidious for the ABP profile of the riders.

http://www.53x12.com/#!circ-2015/tox1q

Banesto: to be fair, their train had nothing on US Postal, so I can see where you're coming from. I still think they had a good train during the early 90s, keeping in mind they had a horde of fellow mutants to deal with. Regardless, Banesto had a proper team doping program, so there isn't much point in wondering if they're an example of a clean train.

By the way, a far more recent example of a doped train, albeit at a lower level of racing - W52 at the Volta this year. They've been in action during the last two stages. Yesterday was a particularly good example.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    In any bike race, regardless of terrain, standard, gender or the amount of doping in the peloton, the stronger teams will seek to dictate the pace in the key moments. It's why they have recruited and picked those riders. And the biggest factor in team strength is team budget.

If you think that the way Sky utilise their team is the same US Postal because they have riders on the front then you have little understanding of cycling tactics. It's the same as thinking every football team that lines up in a 4-4-2 formation plays the same way.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    CuthbertC wrote:
    [

Liquigas: Di Luca, Basso and Pellizotti all being convicted blood dopers means I know they were doping. Kreuziger only survived his passport case due to a creative excuse. Nibali is just an obvious doper (linked to Ferrari, 4 Grand Tours, leader on Astana, etc). Magni (Pantani's doctor at Mercatone Uno) was a team doctor. I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture.
    :shock: don't know the rules, nor the history but I think you have to be l little more circumspect with how you phrase stuff, Froome, Nibali or whomever.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    maxresdefault.jpg
    David Brailsford explains to Ed Clancy his plan to break and reset his collarbone to improve aerodynamics.

Yay someone else saw it too! I thought I'd leave it sans caption to see if anyone else saw Brailsford and Clancy. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Wow, is it possible that this thread will eclipse Lances in number of pages? What is the longest doping thread on BR?

To be fair I'm not sure 10 pages of pictures of Sesame Street and the Muppets really constitutes a thread about doping...

Lot's more fun though eh?
  • above_the_cows
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    We should have a Muppets/Sesame Street meets Pro Race caption competition.

Yes we should...

latest?cb=20120206211033

Tim Kerrison explains to the Sky neo pros the difference between correlation and causation.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    adr82 wrote:
    Count_von_Count_kneeling.png
    There are 1!... 2!... 3!... 4! dopers on the Sky Tour team! Ah ah ah!

If next years jerseys are black and purple, this will be all the proof I need! :mrgreen:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    Next on ITV4 - David Millar interviews Tim Kerrison

206-12.jpg
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    We're still awaiting some evidence it appears.

Although both 'Doping' and 'Dave' contain the letter 'D'.

It's a fair cop guv.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:

206-12.jpg

Albeit there is an uncanny resemblance to Santambrogio there.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:

206-12.jpg

Winner!
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    This is like the discussions about USPS and the Disco Boys over ten years ago. The doubters were in the minority then as they are now.

And now for this lovely tune. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLT6_TQmq8
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • bobmcstuff
    jerry3571 wrote:
    This is like the discussions about USPS and the Disco Boys over ten years ago. The doubters were in the minority then as they are now.

And now for this lovely tune. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLT6_TQmq8

Says someone who clearly hasn't read the thread.
  • jerry3571
    No, What's the story in a few sentences please? :) x
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • bobmcstuff
    jerry3571 wrote:
    No, What's the story in a few sentences please? :) x

A few people are 100% convinced he's clean. They seem to be a minority.

A few people are convinced he's doping. Most of them appear to be here with the sole purpose of getting as many pages as possible into this thread as they seem to have no other interest in pro cycling beyond doping.

Most of the posters on this forum seem to have a slightly more reasoned view that you wouldn't bet your life on any pro cyclist being clean but that the current "evidence" is no more than aspersions and prejudice that wouldn't meet any minimum standards for evidence in any situation (except apparently for keyboard warriors).

Unfortunately some people only see in black and white.

There's also a side discussion where people add captions to pictures of the muppets and sesame street and is probably the most sensible thing on here.
  • jerry3571
    At least they aren't catching trains so that's progress. Ok, very good, carry on. :D

I dropped a rider off at the train station 2 weeks ago as his legs had gone on our club ride. I enjoyed thinking about the history of this. :)

bikerail21a.jpg

-Jacques Anquetil
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    As far as I can see the only dodgy thing Sky have done is hire Leinders. Even then they sacked him when his history was revealed. Any idea how long her actually worked there ?

There was A LOT of smoke around Lance, not seen any around Froome or any Sky riders. That makes a big difference to me
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2016
    sherer wrote:
    As far as I can see the only dodgy thing Sky have done is hire Leinders. Even then they sacked him when his history was revealed. Any idea how long her actually worked there ?
    About a year and a half. Up to June 2012. He was only part time (most team doctors are)
  • RichN95 wrote:

206-12.jpg

Hehe
  • jerry3571
    Oh dear, oh dear or dear.
    Here's Lance's best mate.

_63759826_yates1.jpg

I saw LA having a one to one with Yates as Yates was just retiring after the Leeds Classic Race. I think LA was world champion at the time with Motorola.
    Think Jim Ochowitz was part of that set up and he eventually headed to BMC. Cycling generally doesn't wash it's dirty stuff in the open until someone screws up.
    News Corporation/Sky used to have US Presidents and our Prime Ministers by the balls so I'm sure cycling is a walk in the park.

-Jacques Anquetil
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ....have you just discovered that Yates worked for Sky????

starting to see some of the problems here...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:

I don't think he's got that far yet. He's only up to Motorola.
  • jerry3571
    Just correcting the above post. Wish you beat me to it as I'd be in bed asleep by now. Faster next time please Mr Ddraver.
    God, I've argued the toss with you a few years ago and you're still a flat earth chap. One day you'll see and have a little cry and that people have lied to you.
    Sure you think USPS are still clean. Beddies for me. Better use of time.

-Jacques Anquetil
  • jerry3571
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Argh! Flat earthers!! Only Paris Roubaix for you kiddies. :P
    Night night.

-Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Has Jerry got to the bit where Lance got hacked off that he gone done got no respect for his rainbow jersey from dem dirty Europeans?

That's gonna BLOW Jerry's mind