Paolini done for cocaine

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    What's wrong with a nice bottle of wine of a good beer?

I don't think there's any suggestion that Paolini doesn't enjoy copious amounts of those too.

Daniel Friebe's article on Mattia Gavazzi and his cocaine addiction is an interesting read.

My question was more to those who suggest unless you enjoy or have enjoyed the odd recreational drug then you're boring or a nerd or something.

*opens can of worms*

Surely alcohol *is* a recreational drug?

*leaves*
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    i'm a boring old nerd, never done drugs or smoked. like a little drink but don't like getting drunk.

I'm also fitter than many of my contemporaries and also still alive and free. I have managed not to fry my brain or ruin my liver or kidneys nor ruin my marriage or my kids lives.

there are only two things that i can say i'm addicted to, riding my bikes and keeping a very healthy sex life with my wife.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I think most people accept from a recreational point of view that it's not worth judging his character upon at all. If you've never taken any kind of recreational drug at some point in your life then you must be either a boring nerd, a do-goody boring nerd, or someone who needs to or should have lived a little. If you haven't cos of 'principles' and you also extend these to judging other people for their choices on the topic then that is very sad.

That is one way of looking at it. But what do you say to the parents of young people who have died from recreational drug-taking? Recently, two young people here in Ireland died after they took some dodgy ecstasy. Two teenagers dead because they weren't "boring nerds".

I choose not to put this sh1t in my body because you simply don't know what it is you're taking. Have you ever met the people who import cocaine into our countries? I have and they are absolute scum. God knows what it is they are mixing in with the coke to get more of your money into their hands. They don't care about the quality of the product, they just want your cash. Personally, I would hate to see my hard-earned cash end up in some scum-bag's pocket. Did your coke come into the country in a condom in somebody's stomach or up their tail-end? Keep that in mind the next time you hoover up a few lines! :shock:

If you are stupid enough to take recreational drugs, you have to be prepared to accept the consequences. Paolini has thrown it all away for a high. I'll bet he isn't feeling too smart now.

DD.

That's just a side effect of prohibition. Make a drug illegal and you put the trade in the hands of criminals. You also see people dying from illegally distilled alcohol when it's difficult to get hold of or illegal. Why are young people taking "dodgy" ecstasy? Because they can't get hold of verifiably pure ecstasy

Yep, and processed food is full of all sorts crap and is completely legal.

The fact is for all the people taking various drugs throughout history the chances you take something shitty and you drop dead is pretty small. There's a good chance you'll become a fat chump and get diabetes or whatever from eating lots of crap.

Some peoples view of drugs is completely skewed by massive assumptions. Yes, some drug addicts can be irritating, and their stories can be incredibly sad, but most people who take things will simply never become addicted and most people don't think 'do you know, I think I quite fancy trying some crack'. I've known 3 people closely who have died from alcohol though and I closely know another 2 alcoholics (and another dry one). One of those 2 will die from it too.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    irrespective of the hypocrisy of the laws on intoxicants as a professional cyclist you need to make sacrifices and abstinence from cocaine is one.

at best his plight could be used in the debate over controlled substances

stupid behaviour
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I think most people accept from a recreational point of view that it's not worth judging his character upon at all. If you've never taken any kind of recreational drug at some point in your life then you must be either a boring nerd, a do-goody boring nerd, or someone who needs to or should have lived a little. If you haven't cos of 'principles' and you also extend these to judging other people for their choices on the topic then that is very sad.

Not sure I agree with this. Perhaps its the boring people using the drugs to be more 'exciting'? The interesting non-boring people are capable of "living a little" without too much chemical assistance.

I was talking to a friend about coke the other week and asked her what the appeal is, as I haven't come across it much since all my uni friends did md instead... and apparently she takes it to be more chatty and sociable :roll:

and you probably underestimate the number of boring people that do it just to look cool and fit in. Including you if you hold the view that you have to get high or you're a nerd?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

*opens can of worms*

*leaves*

Well, I like to think so, and I'm bloody good at it.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mfin

Not sure I agree with this. Perhaps its the boring people using the drugs to be more 'exciting'? The interesting non-boring people are capable of "living a little" without too much chemical assistance.

I was talking to a friend about coke the other week and asked her what the appeal is, as I haven't come across it much since all my uni friends did md instead... and apparently she takes it to be more chatty and sociable :roll:

and you probably underestimate the number of boring people that do it just to look cool and fit in. Including you if you hold the view that you have to get high or you're a nerd?

I said people who've never taken anything in their life, I didn't say continue to do it and I didn't say cocaine. It was more general.

It's not a big issue. A big issue would be if we were talking about people who find Andy Parsons or Miranda funny for instance, now those people have got a real issue.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646

*opens can of worms*

*leaves*

Well, I like to think so, and I'm bloody good at it.

I need to update my doping confession on the Drugs in other sports thread
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    If he'd taken it before the Tour then surely the pre Tour test would have picked it up.

The rumour is it was a blood bag.
  • takethehighroad
    You mean the rumour started by Iain further up this thread?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Thinking about it more, coke is extra stupid because you don't know what its cut with.

So you could get popped for something else on top of the coke. Do they test for rat poison? :lol:
  • joelsim

No, from someone else.

Reckon BBs are now the only way to overnight now the threat of testing is there? Subject to not having remnants of a 3 month old party in there. If he has taken some toot since the start of the race then he really is thick jack mcthick.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

No, from someone else.

Reckon BBs are now the only way to overnight now the threat of testing is there? Subject to not having remnants of a 3 month old party in there. If he has taken some toot since the start of the race then he really is thick jack mcthick.

Agree that taking cocaine in the middle of the Tour de France seems a little fanciful but when you say rumour do you just mean a plausible explanation someone thought up with no actual evidence or is there more to it than that ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Ah, 'someone else'.

The rumour is that he did cocaine. Let's leave the fancy theories to The Clinic where a buzz of too much vitamin-C is a sign of blood doping and probably a motor in the bike frame as well..
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    If you've never taken any kind of recreational drug at some point in your life then you must be either a boring nerd, a do-goody boring nerd, or someone who needs to or should have lived a little. If you haven't cos of 'principles' and you also extend these to judging other people for their choices on the topic then that is very sad.

I don't take them simply because I don't need them in my life.

Best thing I ever did was give up drinking too, Ive never felt better (mentally as well as physically).The shear number of people in the UK who can not live without alcohol is staggering. Opiate for the masses... You may drink after a sh*t day, but it will never solve your problems.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    He will probably come up with the excuse he was touching notes currency, depending on levels.

He could say he got it from eating an infected steak from Spain, just like Senõr C tried to.

These Spanish cows get up to all sorts, M'Lord.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • takethehighroad
    Ah, 'someone else'.

The rumour is that he did cocaine. Let's leave the fancy theories to The Clinic where a buzz of too much vitamin-C is a sign of blood doping and probably a motor in the bike frame as well..

Isn't this Joel's raison d'etre?

Also, who's the 'someone else' ? ? As Iain did mention further up this thread (you can check if you like)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    When you consider the elaborate protocol all the dopers in the peloton go through to avoid detection - micro-dosing EPO after lights-out, little baby transfusions etc, it's marvelous how they seem to have adjusted to the night-time testing regime. And on the road, too.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Ah, 'someone else'.

Also, who's the 'someone else' ? ? As Iain did mention further up this thread (you can check if you like)
    Some random person on Twitter I'd imagine. Obviously an unquestionable source.
  • joelsim
    Ah, 'someone else'.

Some random person on Twitter I'd imagine. Obviously an unquestionable source.

It's my raison and cinnamon Danish!

It'll be interesting to see how certain teams and riders perform now nighttime testing is a real possibility. Some have already been mostly anonymous.

A small bloodbag would appear to be a better option than microdosing as of last week, subject to it not containing remnants of steak or charlie.
  • Macaloon
    And all the expert protocols required to keep blood parameters within passport thresholds can be adjusted 'just like that', 'overnight'? Incredible.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Judge Schneider: "Mr Hutz do you have any actual evidence?"

Lionel Hutz “Well….we’ve got plenty of hearsay and conjecture. Those are kinds of evidence.”
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    There's no nighttime testing during completion, only for OOC testing, and it's supposed to be part of targeted testing of suspect athletes.
  • mfin
    Remember some people actually get their doping knowledge from reading the Idiot's Guide to the Idiot's Guide to Doping in Cycling.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I'm not really up to speed with the science of doping. Why would cocaine be used while blood doping? To dilate the blood vessels?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    If he'd taken it before the Tour then surely the pre Tour test would have picked it up.

The pre-Tour test is more than 12 hours before the start of the race and therefore is classified as an out of competition test. Cocaine is not banned OOC so either they don't test for it or any positive would not be disclosed. In the second case though, they would likely retest the person in competition as soon as they had the results, which would be about stage 4.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    I'm not really up to speed with the science of doping. Why would cocaine be used while blood doping? To dilate the blood vessels?

For a good time. It just so happens that said good time occured up to 25 days before drawing blood which was then retransfused intra-race.

I *think* that's what's being suggested anyway.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327

The pre-Tour test is more than 12 hours before the start of the race and therefore is classified as an out of competition test. Cocaine is not banned OOC so either they don't test for it or any positive would not be disclosed. In the second case though, they would likely retest the person in competition as soon as they had the results, which would be about stage 4.

Ooooh, that second case sounds incredibly harsh. "we know this was OOC, but we're going to do you for it anyway"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327

For a good time. It just so happens that said good time occured up to 25 days before drawing blood which was then retransfused intra-race.

I *think* that's what's being suggested anyway.

Whatever it is being suggested is entirely without evidence and doesn't even make much sense. Why do a blood bag before the 4th stage? Pure conjecture that's designed to make doing a party drug into something else entirely, postulating a method of getting coke into his bloodstream other than the entirely obvious one that he shoved some up his nose sometime, probably shortly before the grand depart.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Macaloon

The cocaine may have been in the blood - coincidentally - at the time it was withdrawn. No-one seems to know anything about concentrations of the banned substance so the blood-bag consensus is pure conjecture at this point.

Separately, does anyone know if the so called micro-dosing method of avoiding detection means that riders must inject while on the Tour for fear that their parameters drift too much?