Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    is it a masking agent for peds? ;-)
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Lots of love for Paolini despite him doping...typical double standards.
    It's unlikely to be doping though. Just a guy doing coke. I know plenty of people who have done it.
    This a social issue not a sporting one. Shall we judge Paolini and then get back to our music, books and films made by people who took drugs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    is it a masking agent for peds? ;-)
    There is some anecdotal stuff about it affecting testosterone levels...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

You do seem to have rubbed off on a lot of people.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    It's unlikely to be doping though. Just a guy doing coke. I know plenty of people who have done it.
    This a social issue not a sporting one. Shall we judge Paolini and then get back to our music, books and films made by people who took drugs.

Nice that you give him the benefit of the doubt. Its performance enhancing to a degree anyway and has been taken as such in classics and other races as well.

He is a pro for a very long time so would know how long it lasts in his system etc. Maybe he expected not to get tested and wanted an easier ride on the cobbles.

I guess we can see what he says.

But in any case, I am totally against 'recreational' drugs and have zero respect for people who take them. I can't stand smoking either but given it is socially acceptable then you can't help but view smokers in a lesser light regardless of the multitude of negatives and zero positives it brings.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He should just blame it on his homeopathic sweets.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Seriously who cares. Guy does coke, happens to be a professional cyclist.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Well to an extent I agree, who cares, it's likely to be recreational and to that extent it's not a cycling problem.

On the other hand he's taken what is potentially a performance enhancing drug and appears likely to have thrown away the remainder of his career - I care that he's been an idiot and find it crazy that a rider who is far from a youth could do something so stupid. I can understand people experimenting with recreational drugs, I think the attraction fades for most people when they mature a bit but I can understand some enjoy them, but I can't understand someone of his age and experience with so much to lose throwing it away for a short lived buzz.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I care that he's been an idiot and find it crazy that a rider who is far from a youth could do something so stupid.

Well fair enough, I do care in that regard because I like him as a rider and it's a shame that this is presumably the end of his career.

What I meant was that I'm not going to berate him and pretend he has committed a heinous crime for doing something that millions of other people are doing every day.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    At least it seems (from his twitter) like he's taking responsibility for his actions and not looking for an excuse.

I don't think he's going to have many friends left in the peloton though...
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    At least it seems (from his twitter) like he's taking responsibility for his actions and not looking for an excuse.

I don't think he's going to have many friends left in the peloton though...

Yep, the bugger never shares!

Was trying to read his twitter earlier, but my italian is terrible and the bing translation is just making it confusing...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I think most people accept from a recreational point of view that it's not worth judging his character upon at all. If you've never taken any kind of recreational drug at some point in your life then you must be either a boring nerd, a do-goody boring nerd, or someone who needs to or should have lived a little. If you haven't cos of 'principles' and you also extend these to judging other people for their choices on the topic then that is very sad.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    733__32b318f367a54af23b137592daff37de.gif
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    just dumb
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Maybe there's got to be more to it than recreational drug use? Residual from a transfusion?

I refrained from drug use due to my long aspired (and current) career choice and I've seen first hand all too often the mess it can cause financially, physically and mentally. Ironically I probably drink too much now which can be just as damaging.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Does this nullify his classics win from earlier in the year? (Can't remember what race)
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Meh. Recreational drugs, not bothered.

But to the speculation it was a ghost positive from a blood bag, unless you know when he was last tested that's utterly pointless. I've not seen any info on how much he had in his blood/urine, nor any extrapolation of when it was likely he'd have taken it (which would need an estimate of how much marching powder he can get up his nose).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    More likely he was taking cocaine around the time he took the blood out, and transferred it back in.....
    8)
    could beee
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I think most people accept from a recreational point of view that it's not worth judging his character upon at all. If you've never taken any kind of recreational drug at some point in your life then you must be either a boring nerd, a do-goody boring nerd, or someone who needs to or should have lived a little. If you haven't cos of 'principles' and you also extend these to judging other people for their choices on the topic then that is very sad.

Ahhhhhh is that the its ok I've got double standards absolution pick and choose which laws are really laws? those you agree with and those you don't?

Why not say PED is ok, a bit of coke to keep you on it at work is the same thing
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    More likely he was taking cocaine around the time he took the blood out, and transferred it back in.....
    Yeah... Ghost positive seems quite plausible doesn't it.

I'm not sure it makes sense to be doing a blood bag in the first week of the tour? Don't they normally save them for later?

Although I suppose he could have done a pre-tour blood bag depending on when the sample was taken.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831

That is one way of looking at it. But what do you say to the parents of young people who have died from recreational drug-taking? Recently, two young people here in Ireland died after they took some dodgy ecstasy. Two teenagers dead because they weren't "boring nerds".

I choose not to put this sh1t in my body because you simply don't know what it is you're taking. Have you ever met the people who import cocaine into our countries? I have and they are absolute scum. God knows what it is they are mixing in with the coke to get more of your money into their hands. They don't care about the quality of the product, they just want your cash. Personally, I would hate to see my hard-earned cash end up in some scum-bag's pocket. Did your coke come into the country in a condom in somebody's stomach or up their tail-end? Keep that in mind the next time you hoover up a few lines! :shock:

If you are stupid enough to take recreational drugs, you have to be prepared to accept the consequences. Paolini has thrown it all away for a high. I'll bet he isn't feeling too smart now.

DD.
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658

That is one way of looking at it. But what do you say to the parents of young people who have died from recreational drug-taking? Recently, two young people here in Ireland died after they took some dodgy ecstasy. Two teenagers dead because they weren't "boring nerds".

I choose not to put this sh1t in my body because you simply don't know what it is you're taking. Have you ever met the people who import cocaine into our countries? I have and they are absolute scum. God knows what it is they are mixing in with the coke to get more of your money into their hands. They don't care about the quality of the product, they just want your cash. Personally, I would hate to see my hard-earned cash end up in some scum-bag's pocket. Did your coke come into the country in a condom in somebody's stomach or up their tail-end? Keep that in mind the next time you hoover up a few lines! :shock:

If you are stupid enough to take recreational drugs, you have to be prepared to accept the consequences. Paolini has thrown it all away for a high. I'll bet he isn't feeling too smart now.

DD.

Perfectly put together. Being 23 yo and seeing drugs being taken on a regular basis I have never been tempted. Don't think it made my life boring too.

I used to like the guy, now he looks like a d**k in my view.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    What's wrong with a nice bottle of wine of a good beer?

And I am quite happy to out myself as a boring nerd always have been, always will be.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

DD.

That's just a side effect of prohibition. Make a drug illegal and you put the trade in the hands of criminals. You also see people dying from illegally distilled alcohol when it's difficult to get hold of or illegal. Why are young people taking "dodgy" ecstasy? Because they can't get hold of verifiably pure ecstasy
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

DD.

That's just a side effect of prohibition. Make a drug illegal and you put the trade in the hands of criminals. You also see people dying from illegally distilled alcohol when it's difficult to get hold of or illegal. Why are young people taking "dodgy" ecstasy? Because they can't get hold of verifiably pure ecstasy

This. In spades.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • No_Ta_Doctor

DD.

This. In spades.

Not in spades, surely? That's a recipe for an OD.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

DD.

This. In spades.

Not in spades, surely? That's a recipe for an OD.

:D
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    [/quote]Why are young people taking "dodgy" ecstasy? Because they can't get hold of verifiably pure ecstasy[/quote]

Ah yes, FDA-approved "pure ecstasy". I had completely forgotten about that! Silly me.:D

DD.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891

I don't think there's any suggestion that Paolini doesn't enjoy copious amounts of those too.

Daniel Friebe's article on Mattia Gavazzi and his cocaine addiction is an interesting read.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

I don't think there's any suggestion that Paolini doesn't enjoy copious amounts of those too.

Daniel Friebe's article on Mattia Gavazzi and his cocaine addiction is an interesting read.

My question was more to those who suggest unless you enjoy or have enjoyed the odd recreational drug then you're boring or a nerd or something.
    Correlation is not causation.