TdF 2015 - Stage 6 - Abbeville - Le Hauve ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    From the man who prints the jerseys in Peloton:

After stage 6 of this year’s Tour, Pierrot even had to work overtime. When he saw that Tony Martin crashed hard—while wearing the yellow jersey—he understood that he needed a back-up plan. “Unfortunately I have to anticipate the possibility that Tony might not be able to start tomorrow, so I will also make a set for Team Sky, since Chris Froome is in second place.”
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Is Froome passed the crash :wink:

CJe9L8sWEAEwLdm.png

I'd say so...let's see what the Tour organizers do...

edit: although now I think of it, Contador, Valverde etc were behind Froome.

So no time lost.

Froome was actually involved in the crash and was hit, so I very much doubt they would say he was in front!

The caption says 900m and Froome was in the process of overtaking the Martin/Nibali group. How far back was Contador ?
    Froome didn't make the line without needing a rear wheel. He looks sanguine perhaps wondering about what might have been...

bettiniphoto_0215117_1_full_670.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Can anyone please confirm that the BBC's Matt Slater is really a journalist of some description and knows the difference between a rear mech and a front mech and cycling in general ???? Just sayin like. :D
    I met him once, several years ago and had a few beers with him and others. I'd say he knows his stuff.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Tony Martin's just posted a photo on Facebook of the wound. Rough translation by my (German) wife:
    That's what an open fracture looks like. Unfortunately because of it I can't continue to ride. The risk of infection is too high. I need to be operated on as soon as possible. Also I'm not sure if I'd be able to hold handlebars without pain. Now we're trying to get to Hamburg as soon as possible. Maybe we catch a flight or we drive. It's really hard for me to leave the team that fought so hard with me for the yellow. Thank you boys. Sorry Stybi that your stage win is overshadowed by me a bit. Celebrate anyway !!!! I'm sorry that after the third lion the coach driver's competition is over. Sorry boys that I can't ride with you into Paris but I had my stage win and the yellow!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tony-Martin/192337574174627?fref=ts
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

Froome was born in Africa to British parents so I'd think you could class him as non african.
    Interesting point, so he is another with Dual Passports because Froome, the youngest of three boys, was born on 20 May 1985 in Nairobi, Kenya, to UK mother Jane and UK father Clive, After finishing primary school at the Banda School in Nairobi, Froome moved to South Africa as a 14-year-old to attend St John's College in Johannesburg. He then studied economics for two years at the University of Johannesburg. It was in South Africa that Froome started to participate in road cycling.
    He lives in Monaco so no UK taxes for him and he returns to Kenya at times.

Has he ever lived in the UK. ??
    If he has lived in the UK for longer than a 6 month period then I might consider him as non african but until then he remains a white african.
    Not a lot to ask for. ?
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Can anyone please confirm that the BBC's Matt Slater is really a journalist of some description and knows the difference between a rear mech and a front mech and cycling in general ???? Just sayin like. :D
    I met him once, several years ago and had a few beers with him and others. I'd say he knows his stuff.
    You mean he knows Hockey and other sports but cycle racing was always beyond him.
    Too much water has gone under the bridge about his knowledge because he is worse than Kirby and pleading on behalf of armstrong proves the point.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Rather incredibly racist to discount Impey and Froome as African because they're white.

Gutted to see Martin out was hoping for a massive solo break away in yellow.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    deejay youre starting to give Maca a run for his money in the WTF is he talking about Game...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    So, with all due respect to Herr Martin, In any of the highlights package was there anything on how Stybar got away and the whole Sagan not chasing thigum? I guess by the time the cameras had cut back to the race the gap had grown too big and Sagan wasnt going to pull the bunch across the gap just to get jumped for MV points but how did Stybar get such a big gap?
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Rather incredibly racist to discount Impey and Froome as African because they're white.

I typed a response to your first sentance but then deleted it as maybe I misconstrued your wording. Giving you the benefit of the doubt before I jump in with a comment in response, can you re-word it?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384

I typed a response to your first sentance but then deleted it as maybe I misconstrued your wording. Giving you the benefit of the doubt before I jump in with a comment in response, can you re-word it?

Maybe maeans to discount their right to be referred to as African
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    So, with all due respect to Herr Martin, In any of the highlights package was there anything on how Stybar got away and the whole Sagan not chasing thigum? I guess by the time the cameras had cut back to the race the gap had grown too big and Sagan wasnt going to pull the bunch across the gap just to get jumped for MV points but how did Stybar get such a big gap?

From the backwards-and-forwards TV coverage, it just looked like Stybar climbed that steeper section of hill quicker than anyone else. :?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I was born in Singapore to an English mother and Irish fat. But I would never call myself Singaporean, etc. Froome isn't 'African' by the same token.
  • ddraver
    This notion of nationality being based only on where you were born dies very quickly when you live abroad...
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    I was born in Singapore to an English mother and Irish fat. But I would never call myself Singaporean, etc. Froome isn't 'African' by the same token.

Even though he lived there till his late teens/twenties?

By that token a teenager born in the UK to Pakistani parents can't be considered British, and so on and so on.

IMHO that's a really daft argument.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    That's your choice. But place of birth and where you are raised will influence what you feel your nationality is (and what continent that falls in)

But if he was born in and lived a substantial part of his life in one country that may make him feel like Kenyan

I have a daughter that was born in Ireland, where I'm from and her mother is Barabdian. My other daughter was born in Barbados. What would you consider their nationality should be?

I tell the older one she is 2/3 Irish and the the younger 2/3 bajan
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2015
    I wouldn't get too worked up about nationality. I know some people who have represented Wales due going to University in Cardiff
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204

My word. :shock:
  • LeePaton
    I'm not sure how it could be misread...

Froome is a proud Kenyan, remember his custom Sidis? Impey a proud south African yet there accomplishmens are being openly ignored.

I am in no slight Teks achievements, KOM in the tour is massive especially as a speed bump can affect me but why is it acceptable to completely ignore the two above?
  • RichN95.
    I'm not sure how it could be misread...

Froome is a proud Kenyan, remember his custom Sidis? Impey a proud south African yet there accomplishmens are being openly ignored.

I am in no slight Teks achievements, KOM in the tour is massive especially as a speed bump can affect me but why is it acceptable to completely ignore the two above?
    Most people have either described DT as either the first African KOM jersey wearer or first Black African Jersey wearer.
    Now Froome may have worn the polka dots and may also be from Africa. But he won it as officially a Brit - so fair not to call him an African.
    Similarly, Virenque came from Morocco - moved to France age 10 - but not African officially.
  • LeePaton
    Okay I will withdraw fro m the argument even though we see differently. Not really the place I know...

Any lighter news HOW DID STYBAR WIN?!?!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Okay I will withdraw fro m the argument even though we see differently. Not really the place I know...

Any lighter news HOW DID STYBAR WIN?!?!

Directors were too busy looking at Tony Martin on the floor.

I thought he was leading out and Sagan dropped the wheel, but on re-inspection Stybar just made the gap with better legs just when it got steep.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    You mean he knows Hockey and other sports but cycle racing was always beyond him.
    Too much water has gone under the bridge about his knowledge because he is worse than Kirby and pleading on behalf of armstrong proves the point.

just heard him the other day and he seemed as if he was some failed Alan partridge that had read Wikipedia s page on cycle racing in an hour, his reporting style is preaching to the "idiots guide to the TDF" - how the hell did he get this gig. At least Simon brotherton knew a bit.
  • ddraver
    edited July 2015
    The reality of these things Lee is that there are people who feel part of 2 nationalities. In reality nationality is such a vague concept as to be meaningless anyway. For example I have a friend who was born in The hague to belgian parents, grew up as a child in Malaysia, as a teen back in The Hague and attended international British Schools for his whole life. If you ask him what nationality he is he will say Belgian. If a native spoke to him in French, Dutch or English they would assume he was French, Dutch or English.

In reality he is a sum of all 4. However, a lot of people - most of whom vote UKIP as it happens, can't get their head around that. However, that is their own shortcoming.

Froome is not the first African to have worn the MJ, He is the first Kenyan and the second Brit to have won it Teklehaimanot is the first Eritrean and the first Black african to have won a Leaders Jersey at The Tour. Both deserve a lot of credit and our respect
    - @ddraver
  • LeePaton

I thought he was leading out and Sagan dropped the wheel, but on re-inspection Stybar just made the gap with better legs just when it got steep.

Ala his Strade Bianchi. Looked like Sagan was avoiding all work at all, Trying to avoid the Yellow Jersey?
  • ddraver
    Sagan said that Stybar is his friend and he wasnt going to close the gap just for the sake of the other riders who wouldnt work.

I'd say wouldnt or couldnt close the gap is a debatable point however ;)
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey

Ala his Strade Bianchi. Looked like Sagan was avoiding all work at all, Trying to avoid the Yellow Jersey?

No. Doubt that crossed his mind.
  • rick_chasey
    Friebe is right - too much fairness and fair play amongst riders nowadays.

No fun.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Decent handling skills again by Froome today. Doubt it will stop people talking about how rubbish he is at handling a bike though. Good win by my man Zebedee, Sagan refusing to do the chasing was interesting. Looks like he's learned a lesson this season.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    The reality of these things Lee is that there are people who feel part of 2 nationalities. In reality nationality is such a vague concept as to be meaningless anyway. For example I have a friend who was born in The hague to belgian parents, grew up as a child in Malaysia, as a teen back in The Hague and attended international British Schools for his whole life. If you ask him what nationality he is he will say Belgian. If a native spoke to him in French, Dutch or English they would assume he was French, Dutch or English.

In reality he is a sum of all 4. However, a lot of people - most of whom vote UKIP as it happens, can't get their head around that. However, that is their own shortcoming.

Froome is not the first African to have worn the MJ, He is the first Kenyan and the second Brit to have won it Teklehaimanot is the first Eritrean and the first Black african to have won a Leaders Jersey at The Tour. Both deserve a lot of credit and our respect

Totally agree.

And for all those that want to get make the jibe about whether they are the first African team/rider to do x, y or z, Doug Ryder has a very clear vision and mission - to build and develop cycling across Africa. No other team is doing that so I'm happy to cut them some PR semantic slack. The Qhubeka charity actually talks the talk when it comes to getting people in Africa cycling.

Just listen to the Eritrean fans on today's Cycling Podcast Kilometre Zero. I think its great to get more diversity into the peloton and what better than to reach out to communities that are actually passionate about cycling.